User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
chrisf14 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Board Crossing In Costa Rica.

I'm looking for more adventure. Has anyone done the boarder crossing in Los Chiles, Costa Rica to Nicaragua. I was told it's ruff and would have to put bike on very small boat. But has anyone done it?
Africa-South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland.
chrisf14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf14
I'm looking for more adventure. Has anyone done the boarder crossing in Los Chiles, Costa Rica to Nicaragua. I was told it's ruff and would have to put bike on very small boat. But has anyone done it?
Hi Chris,

I went up to the Los Chiles crossing on a rental bike in 2007 but they wouldn{t let me go past the border to check out the ferry. Penas Blancas is a pain in the ass and I was thinking of trying Los Chiles last week on my way north from Panama. There is just a guard shack with a couple dudes hanging out at the Los Chiles border. If you are returning to Nicaragua on your way back north and your seguros obligatorio insurance from Nicaragua is still valid then I don{t see a problem. There isnt much in the way of services out there. Of course the Nica side might not look at your insurance like they did at the busy Penas Blancas crossing. The boys at the guard shack north of Los Chiles said there is a ferry a few clicks down the gravel road at the little town on Lago Nicaragua, and my map showed roads north along the eastern side of the lake. I ended up riding through Penas Blancas again since the wind was howling and I wanted to go to San Juan del Sur.

I would definitely go for it.

Adios amigo,
John Downs
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
chrisf14 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for that info. Next week is Costa Rica's Holly week. The main boarder crossing is a nightmare. I would guess it will be very even worse next week with the holiday. I would rather be riding a extra 5 hour than sitting at a boarder for 3. Plus I have never been to that side.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,954
Yeah, semana santa is a complete nightmare, and I'm going to try and cross the Honduras borders from El Salvador to Nicaragua. That ought to be interesting to say the least.

I think I will use good judgment and once I get to Nicaragua, stay put until Semana Santa is over.

¡Buena suerte!

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

Oddometer: 113
I thought this may be about the Sabilito / Rio Sereno crossing, which I have done and reccomend.

I dont have first hand info on Chiles / San Carlos, but I have been wanting to do it my self. I look forward to hearing more about it.

I understand that the crossers are pretty much local traffic and a few foreigners going day fishing / sightseeing, other than the hearty few. The shack on the other side at times is lacking forms and the staff can be playing hookie, but it is do able.

There has been some anti import/export activity along the remote parts of the border in the last months and Semana Santa may notch that up in addition to all the people heading to see their familys. All the roads all over the country will be a ZOO with boner drivers too...

I am in Herradura (Jaco) and offer a secure pad with garage and pool house, or tenting if you prefer, should you wish to kill some time on your way.

That goes to the rest of you passing thru in the next few weeks.

Send me a PM to coordinate.

Kamuk screwed with this post 03-26-2010 at 05:33 PM
Kamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
chrisf14 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks again for info. I'm currently living in Playa Del Coco. If you want to try the crossing together or come up this way. I offer you a place to stay also.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

Most Excellent and look forward to it.

I hear the Paquera ferry dock is reopened, maybe a run up the Nicoya in the cards either before the third week of April or after the later part of May if the gods allow. How would that fit?

Off tommorow for a Paritta, Sabanitlas, San Ignacio de Acosta, La Lucha, Ciero del Muerte, Division, Rivas, Chirropo overnighter with four other riders.
Return leg TBD!

Got Nat'l double/single track routes to share?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
chrisf14 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Change in direction. Monday I'm going to Panama. My girl (Tico) wants to see Canal. So off we go.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

Got back a few days ago from the Cierra del Muerte run. Adventure was had. No ruble no trouble, no blood no foul but there were challenges.

Herradura may not be far enough away for a stop on the way down, but then or on your way back, you have a place to stretch out by the pool or rack.

If you have the desire, try San Vito de Corto Brus to Sabilito crossing into Panama at Rio Sereno. Volcan to Concepcion gets you back to the Interamericana. Maybe overnight in Cerro Punta, above Volcan, neat lodge there Lodge de Quetzales, if its in the cards.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #10
flyde
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
No further heads up on the San Carlos Los Chiles border?¿
Im in Panama and will be up your way with my Boliviana at the beginning of may, would love to give it a go, it must be a great ride up the eastern side of the lake, but not keen on a compulsory U-turn .

Keen Kamuk or Chris??
Old 04-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

I appologize for the delay in reply, new project...

Im in for the run one of these days for damm sure, not on the near future though...
Other opportunities, and the comings of the rain make me hesitate. By my experience, typically the rainy season comes in like a lion and tapers off towards the ´summer San Juan´ in mid to later June for a 2,3,4,week break.
Maybe then?
FYI I´d be on a plated EXC450 and traveling light.
The ´road´ of which I have been told, may be not much more than a path. Not much more than a dotted line on the maps I have, and smaller than the other dotted routes that are on the same map.
Riding here I have come to learn the difference between double track, single track, cattle track, horse track, and foot path. Its ALL Good, unless you have some where you gotta be at a set time.
I dont yet know which one it´ll be, but it aint paved and may not be even gravel.

Boat Taxi to Isla Ometepe would be the tits as a ´parachute´, or on to Granada?

Back at Ya,
Whaadda say?

Back from Panama yet, Sir Chris14?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #12
flyde
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

OK... round the normal way for me this time round.

Do you Costa lads know anywhere who can rebuild my rear shock??
Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

Try calling Moto Shop Jaco, they know where to get the things done that I need. Kaline is the owner, 506-2643-3907.
Id call for you but currently in Bocas Del Toro...

They would not be doing the work, but handle all needs for the area, and as I don´t think it will be an ´as you wait job´, at least you´d be at the beach...
Hermosa for the big waves, Jaco for the little ones and night life, Herradura for the fishing.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:00 AM   #14
flyde
Gnarly Adventurer

Sweet, Thanks Kamuk!
Trust your enjoying Bocas!!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #15
briantn26
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Crossed from San Carlos, Nicaragua to Los Chiles, Costa Rica a few days ago. The ferries are not big enough for cars but they fit my 650 Dakar no problem. Easy load and unload areas at both sides. No lines at the immigration areas and the officials where very helpful. The customs office in Los Chiles had a printer that was down so the guy drove to his house and got his printer from home so that way he would be able to print my bike form.. I was the only customer that day. The problem with going on this board is there is no place to purchase Costa Rican insurance in Los Chiles. I spent the night there and took a 5am bus to San Carlos, Costa Rica to purchase insurance and then took the bus back to Los Chiles to finish customs. The custom guy said he doesn't see very many vehicles coming across this boarder so there not really set up for it. Los Chiles is a nice boarder town, unlike every other boarder town in central america, not a bad place to spend a couple days. If you enjoy dirt back roads going through little villages with no traffic and no corrupt boarder officials this is the board for you.
briantn26 is offline   Reply With Quote