Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2010, 06:14 AM   #16
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q500
A non-issue. The bike will not stall if set up correctly. Try to imagine a car with a auto stopped on a hill. Do you need to do anything to stop from rolling backwards? As long as its running the only thing that you have to do is give it some throttle. As a side note it cranks up the probability of wheelies 10 fold. It will make almost any bike highly wheelie prone. That is a huge plus in my book.

Claiming this is a "non issue" is like saying pregnacy is a non issue.

If you plan on riding some narly tracks you will find the Rekluse amazing, however a stall during the assent of a hill will mean that 200kg will pick up alot of momentum rolling backwards with the front brake able to do very little. To say your bike will never stall......well I dont live in that world.

Like someone else said if you arent planning anything but dirt roads you dont need one anyway and it would just be a waste of money.

I have replaced my clutch lever as an additional rear brake. You will never use your clutch again anyway. (not unless you plan on racing it) Rekluse make a kit for most dirt bikes but im not sure about 990s (i made my own). You will need to modify the ABS if you have it and you should do that regardless if your going to ride mainly dirt. I can tell you how to do it if your interested.

And Im not sure of the science behind easier wheelies, is that got anything to do with global warming or just the same scientist?

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #17
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
+1 Rekluse is a great addition to any bike.

I have chosen to keep the clutch functional and retained the lever, clutch works as normal and can be used to loft the front when needed.

2001 KTM 640 ADV....most versatile
1999 KTM 300 EXC....woods weapon
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #18
Q500
velvet hammer

Oddometer: 177
Drink a few more beers and you will soon figure out perpetual motion at this rate. A good strong opinion about things you don't know is good entertainment at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider911
Claiming this is a "non issue" is like saying pregnacy is a non issue.

If you plan on riding some narly tracks you will find the Rekluse amazing, however a stall during the assent of a hill will mean that 200kg will pick up alot of momentum rolling backwards with the front brake able to do very little. To say your bike will never stall......well I dont live in that world.

Like someone else said if you arent planning anything but dirt roads you dont need one anyway and it would just be a waste of money.

I have replaced my clutch lever as an additional rear brake. You will never use your clutch again anyway. (not unless you plan on racing it) Rekluse make a kit for most dirt bikes but im not sure about 990s (i made my own). You will need to modify the ABS if you have it and you should do that regardless if your going to ride mainly dirt. I can tell you how to do it if your interested.

And Im not sure of the science behind easier wheelies, is that got anything to do with global warming or just the same scientist?

Old 03-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #19
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
I just purchased a 2006 950 ADV in a box and the 1st part I will put on is a Rekluse. My hands have started showing signs of arthritis and I put one on my CRF 450R for trail riding. I can do 150 miles a day without any consequences in my joints. But better than that my bike has never stalled, ever. No matter how hot or when I lock up my rear wheel. The traction is even better as well.

Get it you'll love it. Nothing like a 150mph scooter.

Bob599 screwed with this post 03-28-2010 at 03:32 PM
Bob599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:40 AM   #20
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
I have replaced my clutch lever as an additional rear brake. You will never use your clutch again anyway. (not unless you plan on racing it).911
I'm keeping my clutch lever.

When down shifting, if you don't match your speed to the proper gear, the engine braking will send you over the handle bars. I also use the lever when upshifting when my ground speed and rpms are high, like entering a highway.

I want it there for safety. That lever is the fastest way to remove power from the rear wheel.

I've been there when I needed to keep a bike running because it would not idle for some reason. The only way to do that was to keep revving it. That's hard to do without a clutch lever disengaging the transmission.

When using the clutch lever you don't slip the clutch with it, you grab it....shift....then just release it....no easing out. As you roll on the throttle you feel the Rekluse slipping the clutch.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 03-29-2010 at 02:45 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:44 AM   #21
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob599
The traction is even better as well.

Get it you'll love it. Nothing like a 150mph scooter.
+1 on the traction. Even in the rain.

It's also great in Stop-N-Go traffic.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:17 AM   #22
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q500
As a side note it cranks up the probability of wheelies 10 fold. It will make almost any bike highly wheelie prone. That is a huge plus in my book.

Hey Professor Q500 could you please explain to a dumb bastard like me how bolting on a Rekluse clutch will turn my bike into a wheelie machine. Now this WILL be entertainment!

You can probably guess the IQ of someone who owns 9 CR500s. Hope theres no Rekluses on any of them, they may become wheelie prone.

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
Old 03-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #23
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,752
The dirt bikes I've ridden with the Recluse clutch allowed you to run a gear higher than before. It turns a MX bike into a trials bike. You can do full lock turns very easy with no stalling.

You may not need that 16th CS sprocket with this clutch.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #24
summitdog
It's an Azawakh

Oddometer: 193
I would like to know how many have increased the size of the oil jet when incorporating the Rekluse clutch?

Scotty
summitdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #25
Q500
velvet hammer

Oddometer: 177
Who cares about IQ looks like you have established a new low for maturity....or drunkenness! Try laying of the booze and thinking when you type. I would love to know what type of bike has raised your IQ to the high point that it is. I'm certain that I will steer clear but some member in the future might find it useful.

Quote:
Hey Professor Q500 could you please explain to a dumb bastard like me how bolting on a Rekluse clutch will turn my bike into a wheelie machine. Now this WILL be entertainment!

You can probably guess the IQ of someone who owns 9 CR500s. Hope theres no Rekluses on any of them, they may become wheelie prone.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 AM   #26
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Bugger Q500 I was hoping to come back to a detailed explanation of the wheelie theory, which would surely put me in my place. If you were convincing in your explanation I may be tempted to buy one for my cock, should make it come up a little easier dont you think..... 10 fold I think you said. I'll probably need to get a mistress!

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
Old 03-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #27
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Finding TDC with a Recluse

Remove plastic hex cover from alternator cover. Use same hex wrench to turn crankshaft. Buy crankshaft locking pin (bolt) and use to locate TDC while watching cams line up. This will also hold the crank while you work.

Not all Aussies drink, and Robin Williams is a comedian.........
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #28
pburke
Talks more than he rides

Oddometer: 995
Rekluse is the best thing I added to my bike. Would not want to ride it without it any longer, especially in the dirt. It adds a lot of confidence in the slow stuff until you get to the speed where you actually feel the weight of the bike.

Also fun in the city, waving at Harleys with your left hand while pulling off the line I love the looks on the faces of those who actually comprehend what's going on there.
pburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:20 PM   #29
LPC

Oddometer: 34
I could not get used to mine. I sold it. I probably did not give it enough time, but after 30 years dirt biking with a clutch when the going got tough my brain could not adapt and found myself instinctually using the clutch anyway. Also, with a dead battery you can not bump start it. Low speed, low rpm compression breaking the clutch would disengage. I didn't like that.

For everyday traffic use it was great.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #30
dblacknj
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 268
no.

950SE, 1200 miles on the rekluse, no major problems.
Now I,m here at Six Days of Michigan and the clutch suddenly
starts slipping. After a few hours of reading and examining
the clutch... the cure is a thicker steel clutch plate.

Sure, I'll head to Walmart and pick one up.

On the 950 there is a recommended gap of .035 to .055
under the pressure plate. Mine is hair less than .050 and
it's slipping. Unless I check the gap every week, how would
I have known such a problem was looming.

It's coming off as soon as I get home. Might be nice for trails,
but not for long distance trips

dlb