User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Nick Hill OP
Scooter trashed...

Oddometer: 30
Mexico to Canada in 24hrs

Hello all... I have a mission. I am going to ride a Hayabusa or ZX14 from Mexico to Canada in a time period of 24hrs.

Has anyone on this forum done this? Google Maps tell me it will take 22-23hrs. I am aware that this is based from a nonstop perspective. Do you think I will be able to make up the time in speed (nothing over 95mph)?

Im going to try to do this in the next 30 days. Any advise?

Nick Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
dont get caught
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,733
Google "Border to Border Insanity". It's been done so often it's a certifed Iron Butt routing.

Get your Mexican insurance issues figured out. Plan a route that keeps you out of the major urban centres during their rush hours. Ideally you don't want to run down I-5 through Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, LA and San Diego.

It's a very high average speed you'll have to pull, better have your rest stops down to a science, with stopwatch precision. Even better, have a fuel cell so you won't need to stop as often.

If you want the IBA certificate, be prepared to keep the right paperwork to prove the ride.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Boston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Be careful...

I've ridden from Biloxi, MS to Shoreview, MN in about 23 hours - google maps has that at 20 hrs, 34 mins. Between gas, bathroom, and coffee breaks (and yes, you're gonna need it) - it tacks time on. Now I was on a fat and (relatively) slow Royal Star - I kept it under 80mph the whole time. And honestly, I'm not sure I'd do it again. In the home stretch, you're very tired - and your reaction time is slow because of it. A stupid cage, or a deer bolting across the road at 4am is all it takes. I used the 18 wheelers at night to "clear" the road of animals. If you're gonna do it, be aware that your reaction time will be severely compromised at the end - be careful! And yeah, don't get caught.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,362
Personally, I always arrive ahead of Google estimates. Where to where?
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
Nick Hill OP
Scooter trashed...

Thanks for the feedback! Im going to need it. I also relised I put this thread in the wrong form. I started another in the Americas Trip Planning forum.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563102
Old 03-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Nick Hill OP
Scooter trashed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
Personally, I always arrive ahead of Google estimates. Where to where?
Id like to hit the closest points. Im worried that TJ will hold me at the border too long leaving Mexico so maybe the next available crossing. Id also like to enter into Canada from Blaine.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,812
If you cross at Yuma, Hwy 95 is empty and fast. Take it to Boise and then NW on I-84. 95 is an empty desert road to Boise.

95 to Reno and north on 395 to I-84. Desert, fast, mostly empty.

I think Hwy 395 to Hwy 97, thru WA, would be the quickest way to a Canadian border, but is a long way to the east of your destination.

If the weather co-operates I-90 to 405 north to I-5 north would probably be fastest to Blaine. Try to hit Seattle area at non rush hour times.

If the weather station says snow on Snoqualmie it is usually just at the very top (maybe 2-3 miles) and mostly slush, this time of year. Storms up here also means 50+ miles of very cold rain.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Nick Hill OP
Scooter trashed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist
If you cross at Yuma, Hwy 95 is empty and fast. Take it to Boise and then NW on I-84. 95 is an empty desert road to Boise.

95 to Reno and north on 395 to I-84. Desert, fast, mostly empty.

I think Hwy 395 to Hwy 97, thru WA, would be the quickest way to a Canadian border, but is a long way to the east of your destination.

If the weather co-operates I-90 to 405 north to I-5 north would probably be fastest to Blaine. Try to hit Seattle area at non rush hour times.

If the weather station says snow on Snoqualmie it is usually just at the very top (maybe 2-3 miles) and mostly slush, this time of year. Storms up here also means 50+ miles of very cold rain.
Blaine was just a thought... Nothing in stone. Ive played with the map many times over and it still seems on paper that the 5 all the way up is the fastest at almost 23hrs.

Man... This is going to be close. I cant seem to find a ride report from anyone that has done it on a sportbike. I highly doubt im going to be able to match the fuel range of anyone who has done it on a touring bike. I do plan to change my sprockets to keep the rpms down. Im not sure how more that will help.

Nick Hill screwed with this post 03-26-2010 at 04:03 PM
Old 03-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,812
I-5 sounds faster on paper or google estimates, BUT it goes thru heavy population and traffic all the way. You must turn off the freeway for gas.

On two lane the gas stations are on the way thru town. Fueling in small towns makes up for the reduced speed limits thru town.

Up thru the deserts the speed limit is almost always 65. No traffic. There are times where you will not have to pass a car for hours. It will be dry. 5 in OR and WA is a coastal weathered road...wet,wet,wet.

If you are making a serious run, bolt a small boat tank on the tail and tee it into your fuel line. Use it for reserve on the longer sections. A two hundred plus mile range is desirable thru Nevada.

Keep your speed reasonable and just make miles.

If you want to start very early, make sure the border crossing is open.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #11
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
As Commuter Boy pointed out, that is an Iron Butt ride that has been done by quite a few riders. In 24 hours it's called a Border to Border (B2B) Gold. In 36 hours it is a B2B.

You don't need a Hyabusa or ZX-14 to complete that ride. It has been done on HD's, Gold Wings, BMW's, etc. Excessive speed is counterproductive, as you'll be stopping for fuel so often that you lose any advantage it might otherwise provide.

If you take a look on the Iron Butt Association web pages you can probably find ride reports from riders who have done it. You can also get some really good advice from riders who have accomplished it on the IBA forum here.

And I certainly agree with thetourist - I-5 is not the best route for the attempt.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,515
I Know a biker who makes 14 hrs from Reynosa to Oaxaca.

not as long as Mex to Canada, but..... just take into account all the freaking burros on the road...

I think that would deserve some Iron Butt trophy

Have a safe ride men!

Arte

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
istankov
photographing your vision

Oddometer: 46
from my point of view - stupidity: Drive it for 2.4 months instead 24hours!!

Iron Butt ideas seems so insaine for me: First reason - nobody push you to exaust yourself, second: after 6-7-8 hours of driving you became leathal weapon on 2 to 18 wheels, no mater driving bicycle or lorry.

Stupid, childish idea. Hope that you will abandon that idea and enjoy nice roads
istankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Wow, I was just gonna pop in and express my surprise that no one has come in saying your stupid yet, but I'm too late. Ride safe, have fun!

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
IndyTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Just one word...

... why?

"I didn't know where I was going but I knew it was somewhere..." -- Mr. Steward
-----------
2007 KTM 640 Adventure