ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Aussijussi OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Finland-Australia
Oddometer: 1,066
Broken down

How would you indicate to a fellow biker that you're broken down and needing help, instead of just having a smoke. I've heard of helmet on the ground, clove pulled over the mirror, amongst others.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N
 
catweasel67's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 7,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
How would you indicate to a fellow biker that you're broken down and needing help, instead of just having a smoke. I've heard of helmet on the ground, clove pulled over the mirror, amongst others.
Are you being serious? I hope not......for your sake.

On the off chance you are.......

Stand by the side of the road and wave in the time honoured fashion......


Sheesh, you guys and your need to have codes...or really a obscure sense of humour...
__________________
Planning NA 2010 NA 2010
Adriatic Loop August 09 Mandello Guzzi Protest Sept 09
"I've got the key to the gates of paradise...but I've got too many legs!!" Jeff
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
henshao
Bained
 
henshao's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: The Commonwealth
Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Are you being serious? I hope not......for your sake.

On the off chance you are.......

Stand by the side of the road and wave in the time honoured fashion......


Sheesh, you guys and your need to have codes...or really a obscure sense of humour...
Not to mention, location, a rider stopping on the mixing bowl of an interstate is probably having mechanical issues.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Outjustout
Spokey Dokey
 
Outjustout's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Aurora, CO
Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
How would you indicate to a fellow biker that you're broken down and needing help, instead of just having a smoke....
I figure it obvious when I'm trying to beat out the flames with my coat.
Outjustout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 402
I've heard of the helmet on the ground, but sometimes it doesn't matter what you do.....people may not stop.

I was broke down on the I-5 in the middle of Los Angeles once, had the seat off my bike, tank was off, helmet on the ground, tools spread out. I got passed by lots of bikes, nobody stopped to help. It took me a while, but I solved my issue and got the bike running but not with any sort of help.

This was in the days before cell phones were common, so could have been fun.
__________________
Buncha dirt bikes with license plates.
tntmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer
 
LittleRedToyota's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 2,019
try to find a big piece of cardboard or something and draw a husqvarna logo on it.

__________________
2009 KTM 450 xc-w (plated)
2009 DRZ400s
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter
 
DesertTortoise's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 130
I give the secret signal that's so subtle only a real motorcyclist would understand

DesertTortoise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter
 
DesertTortoise's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outjustout View Post
I figure it obvious when I'm trying to beat out the flames with my coat.
OK I've actually seen that.
DesertTortoise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
Outjustout
Spokey Dokey
 
Outjustout's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Aurora, CO
Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTortoise View Post
OK I've actually seen that.
Oddly the heat either expanded the gasket or melted something...I never did find that leak.
Outjustout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
Vanishing Point
A very sad panda
 
Vanishing Point's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Chico, CA
Oddometer: 2,089
Show some leg.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 2,076
I have found that walking my motorcycle along the shoulder will at least get people to slow down and have a look
__________________
Mixing metaphors is like killing two birds with a dog that won't hunt.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #12
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer
 
scootrboi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
I have found that walking my motorcycle along the shoulder will at least get people to slow down and have a look
Pretend to work on it. Look worried.
__________________
42 years on a Heinkel Tourist
scootrboi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
GETTHUMPER2
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
I've heard of the helmet on the ground, but sometimes it doesn't matter what you do.....people may not stop.

I was broke down on the I-5 in the middle of Los Angeles once, had the seat off my bike, tank was off, helmet on the ground, tools spread out. I got passed by lots of bikes, nobody stopped to help. It took me a while, but I solved my issue and got the bike running but not with any sort of help.

This was in the days before cell phones were common, so could have been fun.
I always stop and inquire if help is needed if I'm not pushing a deadline on a delivery, especially here in So.Cal., does not matter what kind of bike or rider.
I just figure it as a way of building credit in my karma bank.
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GETTHUMPER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #14
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Stand by the side of the road and wave in the time honoured fashion......
I couldn't imaging ever riding past a rider on the side of the road gesturing or even looking like he might need assistance. Even if it was difficult to immediately stop I'd look to do a turn and go back. I think I'd be doing no more than what I'd like someone else to do for me.
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #15
rallyhound
Macho stud guy
 
rallyhound's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Cambridge MN in the woods
Oddometer: 868
I stopped once when a guy was pushing an HD bagger and i just happened to be pulling my empty bike trailer.

He looked right at me and said "WTF do you want". So I drove off.
__________________
When it's all said and done, More will be said.

You dont have to wish me luck for me to know that I need it.
rallyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014