User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Frostback OP
Frostback

Oddometer: 216
Drinking alcohol and riding a motorcycle

Here is a peer-reviewed journal article on drinking and riding in European countries. The authors were cautious but their findings are somewhat confirmatory of conventional wisdom.

It seems people don't estimate their limits well, the laws well, or the effect of penalties very well. Men are more frequent abusers than women and those who drink and ride have more history with accidents, tickets and other friends who also indulge. Duh! Abstract is below. Main article has interesting charts by country. Poland tops the list for drinking and driving, Spain and Scandinavia are low.

Lee

Motorcycle riding under the influence of alcohol: Results from the SARTRE-4 survey
Eleonora Papadimitrioua, , , Athanasios Theofilatosa, George Yannisa, Julien Cestacb, Sami Kraïemb

Accident Analysis & Prevention
Volume 70, September 2014, Pages 121–130

Abstract

Riding a motorcycle under the influence of alcohol is a dangerous activity, especially considering the high vulnerability of motorcyclists. The present research investigates the factors that affect the declared frequency of drink-riding among motorcyclists in Europe and explores regional differences. Data were collected from the SARTRE-4 (Social Attitudes to Road Traffic Risk in Europe) survey, which was conducted in 19 countries. A total sample of 4483 motorcyclists was interviewed by using a face-to-face questionnaire. The data were analyzed by means of multilevel ordered logit models. The results revealed significant regional differences (between Northern, Eastern and Southern European countries) in drink-riding frequencies in Europe. In general, declared drinking and riding were positively associated with gender (males), increased exposure, underestimation of risk, friends’ behaviour, past accidents and alcohol ticket experience. On the other hand, it was negatively associated with underestimation of the amount of alcohol allowed before driving, and support for more severe penalties.
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,805
I won't argue with any of that. In my post college years I had a fine night drinking beer and playing pool after work in a downtown Tacoma, WA bar. When the bar closed at 2 AM I hopped on my Kawasaki for the ride home. I ended up next to a Z28 Camaro at the first light and when it turned green the race was on, running well over 110 mph on those downtown urban streets. I handily won the race, but while celebrating sweet victory in my semi-drunken state I had forgotten that Commerce bends left before turning into Stadium Way. To this day I can close my eyes and see the guardrail that took me by surprise. I made the turn bouncing off the curb in a shower of sparks as my muffler ground into the pavement. From that day forward I have lived by a self-imposed rule of one beer with a meal or no beers without food before riding.
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,514
I like to drink, and I like to ride motorcycles.

I like to eat ice scream, and I like to take a dump.

But in both cases, these are things that must not be done simultaneously.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 501
Back in the days of the dinosaurs when Ron Reagan was President I did some serious drinking and riding. I am amazed I wasn't killed in my college days. I still enjoy a drink or three, but my hard and fast rule is no riding if I've had a drink. Is it necessary? Probably not, but it takes the subjectivity out of judging my limits. I've long ago used up any luck I had coming.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
From that day forward I have lived by a self-imposed rule of one beer with a meal or no beers without food before riding.
I have the same sort of rule: one beer per hour, with at least an hour not drinking before I ride.

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
majorhavoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
This is news?
majorhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Drinking

SOBER AND RESTED IS NO WAY TO GO THROUGH LIFE .......

(But it is usually the right way to ride a bike.)
Old 07-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,135
In a word........NO

Stupid chit happens fast enough when a rider is totally sober. Reducing reaction time by any fraction of a second could be an express lane to the ER or Forest Lawn Cemetery.

What? Does riding need to be MORE challenging? This is really beyond debate.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I totally agree. While my ladies and I do enjoy drinking together and getting drunk, one must be sober or we get a room at a nearby hotel and walk.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #10
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,283
Good responses.

In my younger days I used to D&D moderately. Young and foolish, and in the '70s-'80's it was more socially acceptable. But nowadays (last 10 years or so), I'll have a drink with dinner and drive the car home, but with the motorcycle, zero tolerance with alcohol (ie, "several hours"). I can hold my drink pretty well, but on a motorcycle your senses and sensibilities have to be so finely attuned that they don't need to be "filtered" through alcohol. A cage is somewhat more forgiving. By "forgiving" I mean requiring less coordination to simply operate and having more protection can keep on going. Not safer by any measure. And getting older, most of the meds I'm taking suggest avoiding alcohol, so I've turned into a teetotal social drinker.

It's incomprehensible to me seeing many bikes at local "sports bars" on bike nite...

--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 08-01-2014 at 10:19 AM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #11
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
In a word........NO

Stupid chit happens fast enough when a rider is totally sober. Reducing reaction time by any fraction of a second could be an express lane to the ER or Forest Lawn Cemetery.

What? Does riding need to be MORE challenging? This is really beyond debate.
What this gentleman said.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #12
Frostback OP
Frostback

Oddometer: 216
I like the majority responses above. It would be an interesting experiment to post this on the Harley site and see what the response would be. I just don't know any Harley sites.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #13
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 3,976
My rule is no more than 3-22 ounce beers when riding on the road. Off road, who cares? Ain't likely to see a cop.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:37 AM   #14
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
You're operating a vehicle that has no side impact beams, no crumple zones, no seatbelts, and no airbags (well, 99.99% of them don't). Heck, it won't even stand up by itself without human assistance. The only thing protecting you are your own mental faculties. And you're going to do something that decreases those mental faculties?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:59 AM   #15
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I still occasionally ride dirtbikes while drinking. No way I would do it on the street.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote