Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #1546
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,626
I am sure some of this had been noted before. ( Consider this stuff especially for riding curves or in mountains with wildlife)

If in a group, leave plenty of room for braking and the unexpected hazards like deer, dogs, and left turners.

Learn how to position yourself in your lane to be visible to on coming traffic or people pulling out in your lane ( don't hug the right side, stay more to the left and OCCUPY YOUR LANE)

Use your whole lane ( staggerd riding while close together is for interstates and fools) Approaching left hand curves, position yourself for the best view of the vanishing point so be a little to the right side of your lane and only go for an apex after the curve opens. (Hard for noobs to do) ( Also, you won't be one of the fools I see with their head and shoulders over the yellow waiting for an RV mirror or low-boy trailer) Likewise, in a right curve, be a little to the left or closer to the yellow to see around that curve bank better to watch for the oncoming idiot in your lane who is taking the apex too soon. Then, as before, go for what apex is left only after it opens up. Doing what is in this paragraph will allow you to become a smooth and safer rider and actually deceptively fast given practice time like in years and many thousands of miles I mean. Set up your lane position well ahead of entering the curve.

When learning curves, slow more than you think approaching then you can stay on the throttle at least lightly as you learn throughout the curve allowing you to be smooth and carve a steady line.

If you been riding a few years and think you are fast, please find another passion while you are still alive. Think smooth not fast. Be aware like a cat at all times. Ok, I'll get quiet....later...

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 06-05-2014 at 11:04 PM
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #1547
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrff View Post
I am sure some of this had been noted before. ( Consider this stuff especially for riding curves or in mountains with wildlife)

If in a group, leave plenty of room for braking and the unexpected hazards like deer, dogs, and left turners.

Learn how to position yourself in your lane to be visible to on coming traffic or people pulling out in your lane ( don't hug the right side, stay more to the left and OCCUPY YOUR LANE)

Use your whole lane ( staggerd riding while close together is for interstates and fools) Approaching left hand curves, position yourself for the best view of the vanishing point so be a little to the right side of your lane and only go for an apex after the curve opens. (Hard for noobs to do) ( Also, you won't be one of the fools I see with their head and shoulders over the yellow waiting for an RV mirror or low-boy trailer) Likewise, in a right curve, be a little to the left or closer to the yellow to see around that curve bank better to watch for the oncoming idiot in your lane who is taking the apex too soon. Then, as before, go for what apex is left only after it opens up. Doing what is in this paragraph will allow you to become a smooth and safer rider and actually deceptively fast given practice time like in years and many thousands of miles I mean.

When learning curves, slow more than you think approaching then you can stay on the throttle at least lightly as you learn throughout the curve allowing you to be smooth and carve a steady line.

If you been riding a few years and think you are fast, please find another passion while you are still alive. Think smooth not fast. Be aware like a cat at all times. Ok, I'll get quiet....later...
Personally I'd always advise noobs to avoid group rides. They're potentially disastrous things full of folks who're unpredictable and who posses wildly varying levels of skills. Throw a noob into the mix and things become even more..well, let's say "challenging" :)
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #1548
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 2,394
Carry condoms. You're gonna need 'em.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #1549
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Personally I'd always advise noobs to avoid group rides. They're potentially disastrous things full of folks who're unpredictable and who posses wildly varying levels of skills. Throw a noob into the mix and things become even more..well, let's say "challenging" :)
I fully agree.

I used to work at a bike dealership, and used to ride sport bikes, so I've seen this happen, or the effects of this happening, many times.

Group rides inevitably bring varying degrees of competency. The newer rider isn't just putting himself at risk, but also those he's riding close to. This becomes especially pertinent on the backroads of Pennsylvania where newer riders try to keep up, end up focusing on something they shouldn't, sometimes at some speed they shouldn't, and throw their bike away.

Here in straight and flat south Florida it's a little less intense. The riders can push it, speed-wise, but it's straight-line idiocy for the most part.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #1550
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benduro View Post
Carry condoms. You're gonna need 'em.
Whaaaaaaat? I've been getting jipped.

'90 DR350S
How to misuse a '90 DR350S
Photos
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #1551
ScenicCitySVCult
All Dangle No Angle

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerboy View Post
Learn how to ride in the dirt, not on the street

Amen.
ScenicCitySVCult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #1552
atarijedi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Always wear a cape!
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #1553
Paebr332
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by atarijedi View Post
Always wear a cape!
Edna Mode: "No capes!"
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #1554
atarijedi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
Edna Mode: "No capes!"
Capes are cool though, look at Evil Knievel!
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #1555
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrider79 View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but don't be egged into trying to keep up with macho types who comment on your "chicken-strips" or some such. Ride your own ride as the saying goes, because for certain your injury or death will be all your own.

Yeah, I was 10 feet behind and watched a crash b.c of this.

Don't run slow, or have a slow bike with a fast crowd... They might not come back for you... After you dip it in the very first turn you come to, but your hommies blipped it a mile back and are now in another zip code. Even after you text her "friends" from HER phone, that she CRASHED!

Hot chick tho... 1st thing she said was "I have a bikini contest tomorrow"

well... ya got road rash now b/c "designer" "motorcycle" "gear" sucks, and you don't know how to counter steer...

If you do, be responsible, do NOT ride beyond your limits, and both parties need to show some restraint and maturity.

If not, then just let them go. Focus on #1. There will be a time.

Learn slow, ride fast.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 06-16-2014 at 06:37 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #1556
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
I got this in a news letter a few days ago and wanted to share the info here.

Six Secrets to Avoiding Left-turners
http://www.soundrider.com/current/14...t_Turners.aspx

It was written by By David L. Hough.

For those that do not know who he is, here is a quick bio…

-----
David L. Hough ("huff”) is a veteran motorcyclist and journalist, with more than a million miles of riding experience over 48 years. Dave was inducted into the AMA Hall of Fame in 2009 in recognition of his efforts toward improving motorcyclist skills and knowledge. He is the author of several highly respected skills books, including Proficient Motorcycling and The Good Rider.
-----

Enjoy and stay safe out there,

Jon…
I should be an instructor. To me, there is no 10 second this, or 15 second that, but rather YOUR ENTIRE FIELD OF VIEW.

AT ALL TIMES. ALL DIRECTIONS. "Head on a swivel"

If you practice it a lot it becomes second nature.

Pretend you are def and rely solely on your vision. Make assumptions with every car or truck you see.

Put yourself in their position. What can they see? What types of things could happen?

Could that big trucks tire pop a re-cap? Well let me take a closer look...

Should I pass this truck on the right? Sure he's sitting as far away from that mirror as he can, I'll just lawyer up if...

Can that car see me through it's B and C pillars?

Should I ride in this group of cars? Ya know, I might get a speeding ticket if I try to clear myself... After all, there is safety in numbers...

Is that a stranded motorist ahead? I'll just wait till I get closer to worry about getting over... La de da...

Get the picture?

It's your life. Now ride like you want to keep it!

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 06-16-2014 at 06:56 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #1557
catweasel67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
I should be an instructor. To me, there is no 10 second this, or 15 second that, but rather YOUR ENTIRE FIELD OF VIEW.

AT ALL TIMES. ALL DIRECTIONS. "Head on a swivel"

If you practice it a lot it becomes second nature.

Pretend you are def and rely solely on your vision. Make assumptions with every car or truck you see.

Put yourself in their position. What can they see? What types of things could happen?

Could that big trucks tire pop a re-cap? Well let me take a closer look...

Should I pass this truck on the right? Sure he's sitting as far away from that mirror as he can, I'll just lawyer up if...

Can that car see me through it's B and C pillars?

Should I ride in this group of cars? Ya know, I might get a speeding ticket if I try to clear myself... After all, there is safety in numbers...

Is that a stranded motorist ahead? I'll just wait till I get closer to worry about getting over... La de da...

Get the picture?

It's your life. Now ride like you want to keep it!
I'm with the exorcist head guy...

I failed my first bike test because the examiner (following me on his bike) didn't see my head turning enough. Take 2 and I crashed on the morning of the test and ripped the mirrors off Having no mirrors forced me to keep my head on rotation and I passed with ease. Mirrors are a supplement, not a replacement, for a proper look around.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #1558
Toddv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Make eye contact with other drivers/riders, but even then don't assume they see you.
Toddv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #1559
catweasel67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddv View Post
Make eye contact with other drivers/riders, but even then don't assume they see you.
And, whilst you're doing that - or staring down (giving the evil eye) to the guy who just cut you up, don't forget to keep looking forward
Old 06-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #1560
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
And, whilst you're doing that - or staring down (giving the evil eye) to the guy who just cut you up, don't forget to keep looking forward

lol, with a full face on

Took me 3 years to figure out, they can't see me...

I've evil eyed, and tried to get a guy to show me his speedo so I knew how fast I was going LMAO!