Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #1579
atarijedi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
Edna Mode: "No capes!"
Capes are cool though, look at Evil Knievel!
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #1580
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
Edna Mode: "No capes!"
Don't be a patsy.
sailorninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #1581
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrider79 View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but don't be egged into trying to keep up with macho types who comment on your "chicken-strips" or some such. Ride your own ride as the saying goes, because for certain your injury or death will be all your own.

Yeah, I was 10 feet behind and watched a crash b.c of this.

Don't run slow, or have a slow bike with a fast crowd... They might not come back for you... After you dip it in the very first turn you come to, but your hommies blipped it a mile back and are now in another zip code. Even after you text her "friends" from HER phone, that she CRASHED!

Hot chick tho... 1st thing she said was "I have a bikini contest tomorrow"

well... ya got road rash now b/c "designer" "motorcycle" "gear" sucks, and you don't know how to counter steer...

If you do, be responsible, do NOT ride beyond your limits, and both parties need to show some restraint and maturity.

If not, then just let them go. Focus on #1. There will be a time.

Learn slow, ride fast.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 06-16-2014 at 06:37 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #1582
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
I got this in a news letter a few days ago and wanted to share the info here.

Six Secrets to Avoiding Left-turners
http://www.soundrider.com/current/14...t_Turners.aspx

It was written by By David L. Hough.

For those that do not know who he is, here is a quick bio…

-----
David L. Hough ("huff”) is a veteran motorcyclist and journalist, with more than a million miles of riding experience over 48 years. Dave was inducted into the AMA Hall of Fame in 2009 in recognition of his efforts toward improving motorcyclist skills and knowledge. He is the author of several highly respected skills books, including Proficient Motorcycling and The Good Rider.
-----

Enjoy and stay safe out there,

Jon…
I should be an instructor. To me, there is no 10 second this, or 15 second that, but rather YOUR ENTIRE FIELD OF VIEW.

AT ALL TIMES. ALL DIRECTIONS. "Head on a swivel"

If you practice it a lot it becomes second nature.

Pretend you are def and rely solely on your vision. Make assumptions with every car or truck you see.

Put yourself in their position. What can they see? What types of things could happen?

Could that big trucks tire pop a re-cap? Well let me take a closer look...

Should I pass this truck on the right? Sure he's sitting as far away from that mirror as he can, I'll just lawyer up if...

Can that car see me through it's B and C pillars?

Should I ride in this group of cars? Ya know, I might get a speeding ticket if I try to clear myself... After all, there is safety in numbers...

Is that a stranded motorist ahead? I'll just wait till I get closer to worry about getting over... La de da...

Get the picture?

It's your life. Now ride like you want to keep it!

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 06-16-2014 at 06:56 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #1583
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
I should be an instructor. To me, there is no 10 second this, or 15 second that, but rather YOUR ENTIRE FIELD OF VIEW.

AT ALL TIMES. ALL DIRECTIONS. "Head on a swivel"

If you practice it a lot it becomes second nature.

Pretend you are def and rely solely on your vision. Make assumptions with every car or truck you see.

Put yourself in their position. What can they see? What types of things could happen?

Could that big trucks tire pop a re-cap? Well let me take a closer look...

Should I pass this truck on the right? Sure he's sitting as far away from that mirror as he can, I'll just lawyer up if...

Can that car see me through it's B and C pillars?

Should I ride in this group of cars? Ya know, I might get a speeding ticket if I try to clear myself... After all, there is safety in numbers...

Is that a stranded motorist ahead? I'll just wait till I get closer to worry about getting over... La de da...

Get the picture?

It's your life. Now ride like you want to keep it!
I'm with the exorcist head guy...

I failed my first bike test because the examiner (following me on his bike) didn't see my head turning enough. Take 2 and I crashed on the morning of the test and ripped the mirrors off Having no mirrors forced me to keep my head on rotation and I passed with ease. Mirrors are a supplement, not a replacement, for a proper look around.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #1584
Toddv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Make eye contact with other drivers/riders, but even then don't assume they see you.
Toddv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #1585
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddv View Post
Make eye contact with other drivers/riders, but even then don't assume they see you.
And, whilst you're doing that - or staring down (giving the evil eye) to the guy who just cut you up, don't forget to keep looking forward
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #1586
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
And, whilst you're doing that - or staring down (giving the evil eye) to the guy who just cut you up, don't forget to keep looking forward

lol, with a full face on

Took me 3 years to figure out, they can't see me...

I've evil eyed, and tried to get a guy to show me his speedo so I knew how fast I was going LMAO!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #1587
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
I'm with the exorcist head guy...

I failed my first bike test because the examiner (following me on his bike) didn't see my head turning enough. Take 2 and I crashed on the morning of the test and ripped the mirrors off Having no mirrors forced me to keep my head on rotation and I passed with ease. Mirrors are a supplement, not a replacement, for a proper look around.

And the exception to the 6:00 (What's on your 6) rule is in your right wrist Still, do NOT rely on that tho.

Since I've been riding, knock on wood, 5~10 over plus BOLO for stationary pork bellies, I never even see cops! Even in this police-state, and it is nothing short. If you say "TN is not a police state", you don't ride here.

They are part of that 5~10mph behind me and I've NEVER gotten in my life a ticket from a cop coming from behind me.

On the trace, so far as I know the locals (Never seen a Fed) don't even look twice at me when I roll-off from 5~10 over.

I am on a dirtbikie tho.

I think some cops get it and want/will allow a slight fracture of "the law"
Old 06-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #1588
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddv View Post
People will seem to look right at you as they pull out right in front of you. They don't 'see' you. That's what they tell the officer at the accident scene while EMS loads your carcass into the meat wagon. They look right through you. While I certainly look to see if they are looking, I watch their tires. If they are rolling, I assume the driver has no intentions of stopping. If they begin to roll from a stop, I assume they are coming out. On cars waiting to turn left in front of me, if the driver begins to turn the wheel, I start looking for a way out while braking.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #1589
Corbeau
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Braking

Do practice emergency braking in a high school parking lot on a Saturday morning.

Don't practice emergency braking in a high school parking lot on a Saturday morning going towards a brick wall.
Corbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:30 AM   #1590
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
I got this in a news letter a few days ago and wanted to share the info here.

Six Secrets to Avoiding Left-turners
http://www.soundrider.com/current/14...t_Turners.aspx
Problem I have with his six is that I think he misses the most important.

Following distance. When you are following a car closely you are effective hidden behind the car and totally invisible to the car waiting to turn left. The car turning left makes an initial decision as to when they turn e.g after the car in front of you passes. Once that decision is made the driver is largely committed to that action. The car passes and he turns all largely on autopilot, and guess what.... there's the unseen motorcycle and to late to do anything about it.

If you are travelling in sparse traffic and there is a risk that someone could turn across in front of you, maintain a considerable following distance to the car in front so that you are clearly visible to any car wanting to turn. The larger the vehicle in front of you (more hiding potential), the greater the distance you should maintain.

There was a really good web site (German I think it was) that I found a few years back where the above point was exceptional well demonstrated. Never been able to find it again. Basically it demonstrates why a 2 or 3 second rule applicable to cars may be totally inappropriate for a motorcycles.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote