ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #1591
Toddv
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Oddometer: 661
Agreed, but it's a good indicator. Just last week I had someone who looked at me from a side street on my left that I was turning onto. Headlight on, Ducati with loud exhaust, turn signal the works But she still pulled about halfway out into the road. I saw her start rolling so I was ready so I wasn't in danger but I like to make people think. I stopped in the road and made her go first to let her know that I didn't trust her enough to go around after she stopped. Hopefully she'll do a better job next time.
Toddv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #1592
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddv View Post
Agreed, but it's a good indicator.
But the point is it isn't. The 2 or 3 second rule is based solely on maintaining an appropriate braking distance to the vehicle in front. It's got nothing to do with a small object (motorcycle) being far enough back behind a big object (truck) that someone well ahead and in line can see the small object behind the large one. A two second gap will put the turning car and unseen motorcycle in exactly the same place, BANG!
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #1593
Toddv
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Oddometer: 661
Agreed, sorry I was actually respondi g to the post above yours but the quote didn't take I guess. Lol

I never follow colsely unless I'm about to pass. And I pay lot of attention to side streets and left turners up ahead of who I'm behind so I can get in a lane position to make myslef most visible to them.
Toddv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:30 PM   #1594
catweasel67
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
But the point is it isn't. The 2 or 3 second rule is based solely on maintaining an appropriate braking distance to the vehicle in front. It's got nothing to do with a small object (motorcycle) being far enough back behind a big object (truck) that someone well ahead and in line can see the small object behind the large one. A two second gap will put the turning car and unseen motorcycle in exactly the same place, BANG!
The duck thread is an excellent example of what can happen when you're not looking more than one car ahead of you..

It's something my dad would always bug me about when he was teaching me - he'd be forever asking me about the colour of the car in front of the car in front -

So a huge + 1 on keeping a sensible/appropriate braking distance betwixt you and the car in front of you but look further ahead than that - watch out for brake lights appearing, or strange traffic patterns.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:47 AM   #1595
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused
 
DaLunk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Down in Leatherwood
Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
It's something my dad would always bug me about when he was teaching me - he'd be forever asking me about the colour of the car in front of the car in front -
I like that very much. I wish I had thought of that when my sons were learning to drive.
__________________
Skating on the thin ice of modern life.
DaLunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #1596
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddv View Post
NEVER Make eye contact with other drivers/riders, It only serves to make you think that they see you when they are looking your direction.
Fixed.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #1597
Tip Over
Whoopsie!
 
Tip Over's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 994
I thought I was doing pretty good until a couple days ago.

Got off work, went home, showered. Then I decided to run up to the walgreens literally right around the corner to get something to eat. I refuse to trade my bike for a car, so helmet goes on, grab my jacket and pants, but I just decide to rock the sandals.

Now, thanks to the beautiful forward facing curve of the exhaust pipes, along with my stupidity, I have a nasty burn on my right heel, and there was a weird circle on the chrome heat shield.

Moral of the story, just because others ride in florida in flip-flops, doesn't mean you can get away with it. BOOTS ALWAYS!
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #1598
ScenicCitySVCult
All Dangle No Angle
 
ScenicCitySVCult's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Oddometer: 96
doing wheelies all the time saves front tires, but runs through rears...
ScenicCitySVCult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #1599
Zender
Inquisitive tinkerer
 
Zender's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 93
After reading through a few dozen pages in this thread I'm left wondering; what are you guys actually taught in driving lessons?! Just about every single advice in here was already mentioned by my instructors. Just to name a few:

- Countersteering
- 2 second distance
- slow in, fast out
- look through corners, you bike goes to where you look. (So don't panic and look at the curb you're about to hit, because then you will hit it.)
- always keep power on the rear wheel, especially in corners
- cages do not see you
- use big vehicles as "shields" against other traffic (but watch at for them as well, they don't see you)
- Emergency braking and manoeuvring
- Always be able to stop within the distance that you can see and is clear.
- Be extra careful around gas stations, corners and roundabouts there will often have "extra" gas/oil on the road.
- Always ride with your lights on
- Use both brakes, and be aware that most braking power will come from your front wheel
- Manhole covers can be slippery
- Do a "lifesaver" check if you deviate from your current line. (That is, is you change lanes, make a turn, or overtake, check that dead spot your mirrors can't see, about 6 feet behind you and to the side you are turning towards)
- If you are going to change speed (both braking AND speeding up) check your mirrors first.

.... and greet other riders, even if they don't greet back.

But quite seriously, what DO you guys get taught, if the above stuff is not handled in driving lessons? Here in The Netherlands we actually have three tests we need to take: "Theory" (that is, highway code, rules, some basics about motorcycle technology), "Vehicle control" (emergency braking, slalom, parking, emergency manoeuvres, slow riding) and finally "Road riding" (Show that you can skillfully and sensibly can take part in traffic, for half an hour, you drive round town and the highway with a exterminator riding behind you telling you where to go via in-ear radio, and observing your every move.)

After you passed, you have the basics down, but then the learning really starts, obviously. All in, it is no unusual to need about 20 hours of driving lessons, or even more if you don't already have your car licence.
Zender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:38 AM   #1600
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic
 
PFFOG's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zender View Post
...................

But quite seriously, what DO you guys get taught, if the above stuff is not handled in driving lessons? Here in The Netherlands we actually have three tests we need to take: "Theory" (that is, highway code, rules, some basics about motorcycle technology), "Vehicle control" (emergency braking, slalom, parking, emergency manoeuvres, slow riding) and finally "Road riding" (Show that you can skillfully and sensibly can take part in traffic, for half an hour, you drive round town and the highway with a exterminator riding behind you telling you where to go via in-ear radio, and observing your every move.) ...............


Taught HA! In NY State if you don't crash during your road test, you are licensed to ride any street legal moto you want. In fact you don't even need a license to go buy a 175 hp sport bike. And I am being serious! NO evasive maneuvers, NO braking demonstration, NO Nothing. You basically drive around a couple city blocks with the inspector riding in a car behind, make 3 circles to the right and 3 to the left and 2 figure 8's in the middle of a wide street, and you pass.

Scarey part, pretty much the same for your car license, what kids fear most is failing due to their poor parallel parking skills, and again I am serious!

Really sad, IMHO. AND scarey for everyone else.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 AM   #1601
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer
 
sailorninja's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Lenoir Area, NC
Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
Taught HA! In NY State if you don't crash during your road test, you are licensed to ride any street legal moto you want. In fact you don't even need a license to go buy a 175 hp sport bike. And I am being serious! NO evasive maneuvers, NO braking demonstration, NO Nothing. You basically drive around a couple city blocks with the inspector riding in a car behind, make 3 circles to the right and 3 to the left and 2 figure 8's in the middle of a wide street, and you pass.

Scarey part, pretty much the same for your car license, what kids fear most is failing due to their poor parallel parking skills, and again I am serious!

Really sad, IMHO. AND scarey for everyone else.
I waited until I was 18 to get my license, I took my uncles truck, the instructor hopped in, told me where to go (dead end neighborhood), told me to turn around, do a 3 point turn and go back to the station and I passed. I had forgotten all about my car license...Until I bought my bike and I realized that it's super easy to walk in, grab a cop, do a few easy maneuvers and walk out with a license. I do not trust drivers at all, any, especially those pesky kids!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
sailorninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 AM   #1602
BCKRider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Oddometer: 84
I'm always amazed at riders who want to make "eye contact" with other motorists. My corrected vision is still 20/20 but between my face shield and their windshield, doubt I could even see their eyes and be able to do anything (swerve, brake) if I was going more than 20 mph. And, as frequently pointed out, the fact that somebody's eyeballs are pointed in your direction DOES NOT mean they have seen you and are giving you the right away.

Tire position and rotation are much better clues of what is about to happen.
BCKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 AM   #1603
Toddv
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Oddometer: 661
So eye contact is a bad thing? Gotcha. Some people seem to miss the point of this thread, it's not to show how all knowing any one of us is, it's to share information. Eye contact is but one tool in the toolbox and in some situations it's a good one. Now if you look back to where it was originally mentioned you will see there was a disclaimer stating that just because someone looks at you doesn't mean you are safe. If someone looks at you they most likely see you, and if they don't they definitely don't see you. All information gethered while riding is but a piece of the big puzzle of trying to predict what the other idiot is going to do, looking at their eyes is a good one but should not be the end all or have too much time spent on it. I've had people look right at me and still pull out, generally once people's minds are made up to do something they will do it until they see something that makes them change their course of action.
Toddv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:53 AM   #1604
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddv View Post
So eye contact is a bad thing? Gotcha. Some people seem to miss the point of this thread, it's not to show how all knowing any one of us is, it's to share information. Eye contact is but one tool in the toolbox and in some situations it's a good one. Now if you look back to where it was originally mentioned you will see there was a disclaimer stating that just because someone looks at you doesn't mean you are safe. If someone looks at you they most likely see you, and if they don't they definitely don't see you. All information gethered while riding is but a piece of the big puzzle of trying to predict what the other idiot is going to do, looking at their eyes is a good one but should not be the end all or have too much time spent on it. I've had people look right at me and still pull out, generally once people's minds are made up to do something they will do it until they see something that makes them change their course of action.
I'd rather know if someone has looked in my direction and appears to be looking at me waiting for me to pass before pulling out, than the alternatives. Is that complicated or debatable, sure not?
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #1605
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer
 
LittleRedToyota's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
I'd rather know if someone has looked in my direction and appears to be looking at me waiting for me to pass before pulling out, than the alternatives. Is that complicated or debatable, sure not?
if looking at their eyes means you are NOT looking at their front tires, i'd say it is debatable.
__________________
2009 KTM 450 xc-w (plated)
2009 DRZ400s
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014