Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #1621
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
So this is going to be a total n00b question, but I finally ended up in the mountains and we went up 181 (in nc), everything was fun and curves were very fun, however after leaning in one curve, as I straightened back up it felt like I lost all throttle, bike was still at speed but I couldn't go any faster, was I in too high of a gear? Or did I do something improperly?

Just wanna know so i'm better prepared for next time.:)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
You've got to make those little 250's scream to get any pull from them. If you were climbing at all, you've really got to get down a gear or two.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #1622
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
Is it possible you weren't asking for much throttle when leaned over, so it was only when you stood it up and cranked the throttle you notice the effect of being in too high a gear for the acceleration you wanted? Any guesses what RPM you were at? If you were in 6th, going uphill, at 30mph, you could pin the throttle on most bikes and only get subtle acceleration.

Otherwise, possible that it was a fuel starvation issue. Maybe a sticky carb. But bets on just needed to click down a gear or three.
I think you're probably one the money. For the benefit of the person with the problem, the right gear to be going into a corner is the right gear to be coming out of the corner. How do you know the right gear to come out of a corner you've never ridden? Experience, and being aware of current revs as you're braking and changing down approaching the corner is about the best advice I can offer.

Regularly practicing on the same bit of twistie road with lots of variety is not a bad idea either. After a while you'll know the corners backwards and the correct gear to be in. When you riding somewhere completely new you'll just automatically relate each approaching corner to this 'mental database' you've built up.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #1623
rustyxr600
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Been on a dirt bike since I was 4. Been on the road for a few months now(I'm 22) cause I just bought a CA plated xr600r

Few things I've learned about riding on the street are:

If someone's on your ass and you're going the posted speed, let em pass, it's not worth letting some asshat push you to go faster.

(Noticed this after I saw guy I was riding with down SH38 almost get taken out turning left when a driver behind us saw it necessary to pass on the left on a two lane highway just 'cause 55 wasn't fast enough for him)

Screw the 2 second rule, i take 5.

Always tap the brake to flash the brake light.

Riding at night sucks.

Choose good tires.

Ride like you're invisible.
rustyxr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #1624
Kodiakcarl
hairy n00b

Oddometer: 31
Always bag your helmet if you are not wearing it.

Always bag your helmet or put it out of reach of anything that crawls or swarms. I took a nap at a rest stop with my helmet sitting on a picnic table and rode the next 10 days with ants crawling across the inside of my visor and occasionally chewing on my ears to defend "their turf"! They finally all disappeared as I learned whenever they were on the visor to open it up and blow them off. Since then I have always been careful to never lay my helmet anywere it might get infested, or bag it.

Imagine an arachnophobe at 70mph in traffic with a spider crawling across the inside of their visor! Not a welcome distraction for anyone and I would hate for someone to be taken to the hospital because a creepy crawly decided your helmet vents made a great home.

Kodiakcarl screwed with this post 07-30-2014 at 10:26 AM Reason: Needed more dramatic affects!
Kodiakcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:11 AM   #1625
snacks
King Bull Bucker

Oddometer: 9
Any recommendations for helmet visors and rain? Even when I'm moving (albeit slowly) the rain doesn't seem to flow off my my visor like I would like and I end up just smearing it around with my glove. Would a little Rain-X do something evil to the plexi or would it help cure everything?

Forgive my n00b-ness. Just did my MSR on Mon-Tues and trying to get everything sorted out
snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:37 AM   #1626
REALGRAVEROBBER
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 357
Until you are very confident mechanically, find a good motorcycle mechanic and do what they say (usually the good motorcycle mechanic is an independent one not at a stealership).

Some people should not ever work on their own motorcycle. If you are such a person, come to grips with it and move on, enjoying your working bike.

In my opinion, read a lot of good motorcycle magazines like 'Dirt Rider', 'Motocross Action' and 'Dirt Bike' they have heaps of good how-to-ride editorials and good step by step writeups on how to ride certain obstacles safely. Years later I still remember and use what I've read from the pro riders.

Be careful at all times, but balance that with confidence.

If you are tired, hungry, diminished in any way (feeling ill, hung over, stressed, upset, in a bad mood, etc.), or 'pushing yourself too hard' (only oneself knows when this is) ... stop and get a good motel room to rest, get fed, get balanced ... the $100 and delay in time could prevent a fatal accident for yourself and others. I've personally done this and am really thankful when I find myself able to give myself a break. Programming in such options into a road trip is wise too. Keep safe and alive.

Don't be fooled by the flashy hype motorcycle models. I have friends who ride first-generation dr's/xr's/kdx's/etc and for the 95% of us normal folks those bikes will never hold us back as riders.

In my opinion, the best bikes come from Japan. Best in so many ways. In my opinion, you'll learn this fact one way or another. I recommend sooner as I've lost thousands of dollars, hundreds of work hours, and a few riding seasons trying to keep my BMW 1150GS working, and now have no such problems on bikes from Japan.

Don't save money by riding worn parts like tires, sprockets, cables and other consumables. Get good stuff and keep it fresh and safe.

Not riding at night seems wise overall.

Never let another person ride your bike unless you trust him 100%, in which case such good friendships usually don't have your 'friends' asking to take your bike out because they respect you and don't want to foul up a friendship with a mishap.

Ride a smaller-displacement bike than you would expect, the result will be happiness, fulfillment, better MPG's, a lighter bike, and an improvement in your riding skills over time with a less-powerful machine. The best riders I have seen can clear obstacles on a 100cc or 200cc than others need abour 200 more cc's to clear. Finesse and efficiency go far, learn it.

Buying and selling extra parts on eBay will make motorcycling much more feasible for you, you will have much better riding gear, and have a better experince in this hobby -- just my experience.

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:39 AM   #1627
REALGRAVEROBBER
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 357
I use 'Pledge Wipes' that are sold at hardware stores for less than $5, and come in a re-sealable bag. Alaskan bush pilots use Pledge aerosol to keep water off their plastic aircraft windshields for the best anti-fog possible and bugs slide off much easier. I use it on the inside and outside of my helmet and windshield and could not be more happy with the results. Inexpensive too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snacks View Post
Any recommendations for helmet visors and rain? Even when I'm moving (albeit slowly) the rain doesn't seem to flow off my my visor like I would like and I end up just smearing it around with my glove. Would a little Rain-X do something evil to the plexi or would it help cure everything?

Forgive my n00b-ness. Just did my MSR on Mon-Tues and trying to get everything sorted out

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:20 AM   #1628
aldend123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALGRAVEROBBER View Post

Some people should not ever work on their own motorcycle. If you are such a person, come to grips with it and move on, enjoying your working bike.
That's true, but for those newbies who have zero mechanic skills, don't automatically assume you're the type who shouldn't DIY. You'll probably still need to find a mechanic, but you can grow progressively. Get used to the pre-flight checklist described in your owners manual and go from there.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:06 AM   #1629
Toddv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Quote:

Also a trick that I have learned, especially effective with fog/moisture that collects on the outside of the shield, is to turn you head side to side a bit and it will blow the stuff off. When looking straight forward the wind doesn't help much.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:32 AM   #1630
RagerToo
vroom vroom

Oddometer: 303
"stealership" ?

It's attitudes like this that make the world a rocky place to live in. People are in business to make money, not friends. Get over it.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:37 AM   #1631
tjv
wannabe

Oddometer: 36
Cool2

OK I have daft question and it might not be the most important information to know, but here goes anyway. The thing with kidney belts, those are basically the same thing as weightlifters belt? That is useful (or somewhat useful), but often just used to show everyone that you ride (or lift weights). What I see here often is that people like to have the belt outside your clothing as well. T-shirt and kidney belt, a very good and safe look?
tjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:01 AM   #1632
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:

I love thumb squeegees like this:

Available from Aerostitch. I have several gloves that also have integrated squeegees too.

My experience with RainX and other chemicals has not been so good. The visor on my old Caberg delaminated after I used such a product - no proof, but suspect it was the chemical. Anyway, with the squeegee and sticking my head out from the windshield from time to time, just let it rain!
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 AM   #1633
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
rain-x does supposedly eventually harm plexiglass, but i've used it on my street helmet visor and not had any issues. it does make the rain drops just slide right off. definitely works from that standpoint.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #1634
Merckx the Cannibal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv View Post
OK I have daft question and it might not be the most important information to know, but here goes anyway. The thing with kidney belts, those are basically the same thing as weightlifters belt? That is useful (or somewhat useful), but often just used to show everyone that you ride (or lift weights). What I see here often is that people like to have the belt outside your clothing as well. T-shirt and kidney belt, a very good and safe look?
I'm not sure, but maybe you're seeing people who are wearing back protectors? Some back protectors have a strap across the waist, as well as shoulder straps. Maybe you're seeing people who are wearing back protectors under their T-shirts, but with the waist strap exposed. Or maybe it's a German thing and not a North American thing and in that case, I'll just shut up.
Merckx the Cannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #1635
tjv
wannabe

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx the Cannibal View Post
I'm not sure, but maybe you're seeing people who are wearing back protectors? Some back protectors have a strap across the waist, as well as shoulder straps. Maybe you're seeing people who are wearing back protectors under their T-shirts, but with the waist strap exposed. Or maybe it's a German thing and not a North American thing and in that case, I'll just shut up.
Nah its just a kidney belt they wear. On top of their t-shirts, that being their only protection besides the helmet obviously. Must be a local Berlin thing then. Just recently moved here and started riding so cant really compare, but tend to see this daily. Just glad to hear that it is not more common thing.
tjv is offline   Reply With Quote