Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #1651
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiCowie View Post
And leave extra room in front of you when following a vehicle you can't see through or around (like a truck.) If something happens in front of them that causes them to slam on their brakes you will have little notice of it.
+1 I'd double the minimum gap (2 second) to at least 4 or more. Bear in mind that the 2 second gap is based on a rolling stop - and if that van, as Maui says, comes to an unexpected, and complete stop, you're gonna need a lore more than 2 seconds.

All those multi-vehicle pile-ups you see on TV - this is the main reason why they happen.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #1652
Toddv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
If I'm behind a vehicle I can't see through or past I drop back beyond the standard safe distance. I also use the whole lane to watch for threats from either side in the form of vehicles on side streets waiting to pull out or those turning left from the onciming lane(s). When I see one I gravitate towards the side of the lane that they would expect to see a car in first. Example, I see a car ahead on the left waiting at the end of a side street, I ride the left side of the lane. I also make myself as visible as possible to whatever I perceive the biggest threat to be, of course not without taking everything into consideration. You never want to make yourself invisible to one threat to be more visible to another or you just shot yourself in the foot. Play it like a game.
Toddv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #1653
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalmace View Post
I guess I just interpreted it differently. For the first, one thing that comes to mind is that maybe it could be advantageous in certain situations to match the pace or at least timing of a vehicle in an adjacent lane that is going through an intersection with you for the visibility. The latter, in the context of it being a thread for beginners, I don't think they would be concerned about trail braking anyway... but I suppose taking out that first word would be appropriate.
Yes, I was taking a shield to mean in front, and it could mean surrounded by "big vehicles". So is a new rider safer sitting among a pack of vehicles on a multi-lane road, or quickly accelerating pass them if possible to position himself in the open gaps between the 'packs' of traffic? No doubt which place I think is safer (and less stressful), especially for an inexperienced new rider.

From the moment a new rider heads out on the road he/she will have to accelerate through some corners, hold a steady throttle in others, roll of the throttle in others, or brake in some corners. Depends upon so many factors. The advice to "always keep power on the rear wheel, especially in corners" is likely to get you killed if followed.

Anyhow, it wasn't the points themselves as to why I commented. It was the overall theme of the post e.g. why are you guys discussing these things, what did they teach you, I know because I went to a class. I wanted to draw the authors attention to the fact that he may considerably benefit from discussing these concepts.

JohnCW screwed with this post 08-09-2014 at 05:19 PM
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #1654
Spike Paddy
Space Cowboy

Oddometer: 111
One thing I didn't take to immediately and I've seen a lot from what I assume are new riders is messing around trying to find neutral at a stop light or while parking. I had been riding for maybe a month or so before one of my buddies told me a little bit of throttle + gently shifting up from first is the best way. Such a simple trick but nobody told me that at the riders course. Having a great feel for neutral makes riding in the city so much easier.
Spike Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #1655
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmy21b View Post
One thing I didn't take to immediately and I've seen a lot from what I assume are new riders is messing around trying to find neutral at a stop light or while parking. I had been riding for maybe a month or so before one of my buddies told me a little bit of throttle + gently shifting up from first is the best way. Such a simple trick but nobody told me that at the riders course. Having a great feel for neutral makes riding in the city so much easier.
With the engine idling, just 'toggle' the clutch in and out a very small amount right on the take up point while 'clicking' the gear lever (not a constant press) down. Do this quickly to go to the bottom, and back one (light on). If you do it right the gears will just click into place as the transmission moves. If it grates you're releasing the clutch to much.

JohnCW screwed with this post 08-09-2014 at 06:41 PM
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #1656
catweasel67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
With the engine idling, just 'toggle' the clutch in and out a very small amount right on the take up point while 'clicking' the gear lever (not a constant press) down. Do this quickly to go to the bottom, and back one (light on). If you do it right the gears will just click into place as the transmission moves. If it grates you're releasing the clutch to much.
+1

Neutral's pretty hard to find on my bike at times and this almost always works. What's harder, for me at least, is remembering that it works
Old 08-11-2014, 05:22 AM   #1657
mjc506
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
So why leave the bike in neutral!?

Leave it in 1st, then all you need to do is throttle on and clutch out to avoid the muppet who nearly stops behind you.
mjc506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #1658
catweasel67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc506 View Post

Leave it in 1st, then all you need to do is throttle on and clutch out to avoid the muppet who nearly stops behind you.

You make a good point about not selecting neutral until it's safe to so do but there are plenty of times when I (maybe not you) prefer to be in neutral.

To name but a few: traffic lights, roadworks, border crossings, the list goes on and is long.

If you never feel it necessary to select neutral and either let the bike idle or even turn it off for a few minutes then you're a lucky bugger.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #1659
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
I never, ever sit at a light, whether I'm first or in a line of cars, in neutral. My bike is also pointed at an escape route should someone not be stopping in a timely fashion behind me.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #1660
Spike Paddy
Space Cowboy

There's some long red lights out there, keeping it in first is hard on the arthritis in my hands. Especially when there's a lot of them on my way outside of the city. I'll take the risk of being rear ended if it means giving my hands a break and being able to stand up and stretch for a minute.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #1661
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
There's some long red lights out there, keeping it in first is hard on the arthritis in my hands. Especially when there's a lot of them on my way outside of the city. I'll take the risk of being rear ended if it means giving my hands a break and being able to stand up and stretch for a minute.

Always, always stage to one side or the other of a lane when stopping.

I see riders all the time stop square in the middle of their lane...

In traffic, or 1st on line.

It's your lane alright, but is it worth your life?

Hard to see things in a court of law if you're buried.

It's hard to make a sandwich when the meat slips out the side...

Old 08-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #1662
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

The best defense (There is no "offense" or "defense" BTW) for this ^^^^ is in the right hand.

GTFOOTW. If you see you're in a situation like this, remove thy self with a twist.

"Yes officer, I was speeding." "I found myself in an unsafe situation and yes you stupid pig, I removed myself from it."

OMG, a situation where "speeding" can save a life? What is this world coming to!?

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 02:25 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #1663
Spike Paddy
Space Cowboy

I always stay towards the left, but it's more of a habit I picked up because a lot of red lights wouldn't go green for me on my first bike. I'm always paranoid of whoever is behind me though, mostly because when I started riding I hadn't quite gotten the hang of taking off until day 3 or so and I was always worried I'd get run over while starting my bike back up.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #1664
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc506 View Post

If anyone does this, hit 2nd first then 1st.

The cogs will like you better.

x2 on the rest.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #1665
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
I always sit at an angle at a light in gear so I can shoot to the left or the right of the car ahead of me.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote