Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #1666
ruin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Agree with the "never neutral" option. My bikes only see neutral when they're on the stand getting maintenance. Lights, signs, stop and go traffic, whatever.. the bike is on, in 1st, and I'll hold the clutch in as long as I have to. Not gonna get caught with my pants down by some guy coming up from behind while texting IDK my BFF Jill.
ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #1667
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,142
Never take off your trousers whilst stationary at traffic lights. Someone may well "rear end" you.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:10 AM   #1668
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Never take off your trousers whilst stationary at traffic lights. Someone may well "rear end" you.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #1669
tessalino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
If anybody's interested, here's a post on another forum re a biker who was severely injured but was not wearing any protective gear. Not even a helmet. His post had to do with some posters defending the injured man's choice to not wear a helmet.

The post:

Quote:
All research shows that It would have prevented significant injury. At my hospital we have a dedicated Neuro-Trauma ICU where routinely there are anywhere from 3-5 (out of 10 beds) patients who are there for an un-helmeted motorcycle or ATV crash. In 7 years of trauma work I have seen 3 un-helmeted traumatic brain injuries (one of which the young man was traveling at 150MPH) and probably 100+ un-helmeted ones. Helmeted motorcycle crash patients simply do not make it to the Neuro-Trauma ICU because they rarely have a traumatic brain injury that warrants ICU admission. Broken bones and bodily organ injuries yes but head injuries no. I have also never seen a patient end up paralyzed when involved in a helmeted crash, spinal fractures yes (same as with un-helmeted riders) but not any leading to paralysis.

What I have seen is about a 80-90% rate of having either drugs or alcohol on board when an un-helmeted rider is admitted after crash while helmeted crash patients are around 30%. Also un-helmeted riders rarely have medical coverage with a decent percentage of them not even having motorcycle insurance. Draw what conclusions you want but risk prone behaviors seems to go hand in hand in with the un-helmted population here in the western PA area.

To the OP I am sorry for your circumstances. I deal with that population every day and if he is talking that means he isn't on a ventilator which is huge. A tough road lies ahead but with good rehab and family support a meaningful recovery isn't impossible.
I can't tell you the number of riders I see who have zero protective gear. I've seen exactly two who have all the gear: viz. helmet, protective jacket and pants, gloves and shoes. Just today I must have seen a dozen riders, in heavy traffic, with no gear.

Very curious.
tessalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #1670
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessalino View Post
If anybody's interested, here's a post on another forum re a biker who was severely injured but was not wearing any protective gear. Not even a helmet. His post had to do with some posters defending the injured man's choice to not wear a helmet.

The post:

I can't tell you the number of riders I see who have zero protective gear. I've seen exactly two who have all the gear: viz. helmet, protective jacket and pants, gloves and shoes. Just today I must have seen a dozen riders, in heavy traffic, with no gear.

Very curious.
I have no Idea what the hell that guy was trying to say whom you quoted, but if you are on the fence about gear, do not be.

A helmet not only reduces the chance of brain injury, but also neck injuries as well.
The rest should be common sense.

Oh yea NON helmeted riders have earned the name "organ donors" for a reason.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #1671
tessalino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
I have no Idea what the hell that guy was trying to say whom you quoted
Really? You can't figure out that he's extolling the virtues of protective gear, viz. a helmet?

He works in a trauma center and he's saying that the vast majority of head trauma motorcycle injuries are sustained by riders who aren't wearing a helmet.
tessalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #1672
Egoland
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Elementary:

Keep on the black stuff!!!

- to do so, scan the road as far as you can, and the bike will follow almost by instinct.
Egoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #1673
Tonythepilot
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Its gonna happen

An old man told me when I first learned to drive that "someday when you come around a corner there is going to be a child standing there in the middle of the road". It was one of the few words of wisdom that stayed with me over the years. Honestly it took me years before I really understood. The lesson is that with this thought always in the back of your mind it will keep you honest.

About head injuries I have learned over time that you can break bones loose a limb or God Forbid become paralyzed. But with all of that trauma you are still you. When you have a survivable brain injury you probably wont be the person you grew up with anymore. I learned that by working with ER and Trauma people for the last several years.
Tonythepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #1674
Hazelfire
Most Awesome Noob

Oddometer: 6
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
HIIIIYOOOOOOO ;)

One extremely critical mistake that I keep finding myself making, is that I'll forget to keep an eyeball on my mirrors when I'm stopped, at a light or whatever. Haven't gotten rear-ended yet... but I will if I keep forgetting to check. If so, someone please bring the pointy white hat to my hospital room. I keep it in the closet, next to the vacuum.
Hazelfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #1675
NomadsAtHeart
nomadsatheart.com

Oddometer: 4
I think that being mindful (paying attention to your actions and thoughts) is very important.

Check this out for more details.
We support Motorcycle Safety First
NomadsAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #1676
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadsAtHeart View Post
I think that being mindful (paying attention to your actions and thoughts) is very important.

Check this out for more details.
And a web page titled "Motorcycle Safety First" starts an article with the following picture of rider, wearing a black jacket, black helmet, dress pants and sneakers. Brilliant.......

Old 09-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #1677
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
And a web page titled "Motorcycle Safety First" starts an article with the following picture of rider, wearing a black jacket, black helmet, dress pants and sneakers. Brilliant.......

But on the other hand the article was not about visibility or crash protection.

I rank situational awareness at the top of the list of importance when it comes to riding a motorcycle once a rider has learned the rudimentary basics of m/c operation. Everything else is just icing on the cake and nothing else prevents an accident without it.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #1678
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post

I rank situational awareness at the top of the list of importance when it comes to riding a motorcycle once a rider has learned the rudimentary basics of m/c operation. Everything else is just icing on the cake and nothing else prevents an accident without it.
Look up a definition or explanation of 'synergy'.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:33 PM   #1679
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Look up a definition or explanation of 'synergy'.
And whilst he does that, you can look up "epitomise"
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #1680
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post

Synergy - the combination of multiple ingredients producing a result greater than the simple arithmetic summation of the individual components.

Point being motorcycle safety is attention to a lot of things that collectively contribute to the rider being safer than the sum of the individual 'things' they do. Regardless of the topic of the article, to start with a picture of a rider wearing dress pants and sneakers is just plain bad form. No other part of your body is more likely to get badly mangled, even a simple off, than unprotected or poorly protected legs, ankles, and feet sliding along the road under the weight of a motorcycle. The largest percentage of injuries occurred to the leg and foot area — 30 percent of all non-fatal motorcycle injuries were recorded on the lower extremities. Next to a helmet, proper pants and boots are the most important safety gear.

JohnCW screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 01:27 AM