Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #166
spoilsport
New & Used

Oddometer: 66
I dropped my bike six times in the first month, including once on my foot because MSF taught me to use the front brake not the rear.

What I needed to know: Don't use the front brake in a slow speed turn or the bike will go down.
"No two objects can occupy the same space at the same time, but they will try." ...Spoilsport's 3rd law.
spoilsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #167
Jenny_petunia
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi...
I am a true Noob (4hrs on my Super sherpa) and the MTC... so thank you for all the input on this thread, but can someone please tell me what 'ATGATT' is and 'CAGE'
thanks and sorry for asking the obvious!
Jenny_petunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #168
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
ATGATT = All the gear, all the time.
CAGE = Automobile.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #169
wanocksett
Banned

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Most of my gear is Black. I like Black. it doesn't show the bugs as much.
fxt
wanocksett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #170
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
This has probably been said in here 1,000 x's, but it is always worth saying again:

Look where you want to go and practice your panic stops.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #171
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsport
I dropped my bike six times in the first month, including once on my foot because MSF taught me to use the front brake not the rear.
*BLINK* Wha?

Someone- you or the instructor- was confused on that one.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #172
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
N00b here

As a noob I'm loving all the advice thus far, but have one question that really has been bugging me lately.

Around where I live we have a lot of those weight sensor lights. In a car its no problem, just sit on the sensor, light changes. but on a 250lb bike, plus me, the combined 430lbs does not make that sensor flip. Ive tried stomping, bouncing on the bike, but mostly its ended with a car (usually within 5 mins of sitting there) coming up behind me. I usually then have to wave to the driver to pull up a little more and sit on the sensor...but that puts me in the intersection! A lot of these lights are also "No turns on red" so I cant make the right turn either!

After hearing my vent, any advice?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:36 AM   #173
Rottweiler
I'm a Believer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15
As a noob I'm loving all the advice thus far, but have one question that really has been bugging me lately.

Around where I live we have a lot of those weight sensor lights. In a car its no problem, just sit on the sensor, light changes. but on a 250lb bike, plus me, the combined 430lbs does not make that sensor flip. Ive tried stomping, bouncing on the bike, but mostly its ended with a car (usually within 5 mins of sitting there) coming up behind me. I usually then have to wave to the driver to pull up a little more and sit on the sensor...but that puts me in the intersection! A lot of these lights are also "No turns on red" so I cant make the right turn either!

After hearing my vent, any advice?
Are you sure it's a weight sensor and not an inductive pickup (i.e. magnetic)?

Not that it matters, the question is academic. When you have a clear, just ride on thru. If the bogie nails you, tell him what you just told us and ask what he would have done. If the sensor won't trip then it won't trip and there's nothing you can do other than just sit there and wait for a cage to come "rescue" you or else make your own path. And you know what us true adventure riders would do...

Real men wear boots. God is good.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western Civilization as it commits suicide." - Dr. Jerry Pournelle http://jerrypournelle.com
Rottweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #174
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsport

Your instructor is basically right; you are supposed to use more front brake than rear but I don't see how that results in your dropping your bike six times!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #175
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog

Your instructor is basically right; you are supposed to use more front brake than rear but I don't see how that results in your dropping your bike six times!
Because he's using the front brake for slow turns.

At the BRC level, I don't think they're supposed to even be talking about using the rear brake for slow turns, which is an acceptable solution, just not in what I remember of MSF's curriculum (because it's easy for weak students to get confused.)
Old 04-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #176
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Try parking directly above the line (in the circle, square or diamond) where the line intersects with the cut leaving said geometrical cut.
It's an inverse square relationship- if you cut the distance in half, the signal is four times stronger. Putting your sidestand down directly over the embedded wire can make a difference.

Magnets attached to your frame, do not. It's inductive, not magnetic.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #177
Shiveley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
1. Ride everyday! Practice makes perfect.

2. Get really good on a bicycle. Same physics with far less weight.

3. Start on a small, light, cheap, old bike. You won't cry when you drop it like you will on your new 1200 gs. I remember watching guys on new GSXRs trying to take the license test and plowing down the cones. Then a lady does it on an old 125 cc without any trouble. Pretty funny.

4. As you get more comfortable on the bike test the limits (albeit in a safe and controlled manner). You don't want the first time you find the traction limits to be in the thunderstorm that catches you out of nowhere. Find out how much brake you can give it before it slides. I have found this is easier to do safely on dirt, since you don't have to be going dangerously fast.
Shiveley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #178
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiveley
Get really good on a bicycle. Same physics with far less weight.
I second that, when I was a puny teenager i lived and breathed MTBs. Built my own from the ground up exactly the way I wanted it and were out all afternoon after school finding old back roads and forest trails. At the very core of my motorcycle knowledge I still fall back on what I learned in those old days.

The lighter the bike the stronger it will "speak to you" and the quicker you will figure things out.

I can not stress enough that if you're serious about riding there's nothing better you can do that to take it in incremental steps. First MTB, then moped, then 125, then 250, then 400-600 thumper.... then something with no more than double the horsepower of your last bike. Ride each bike for no less than one year and you will be able to progress in a faster and safer manner than if you had picked a too big motorbike to begin with. You'll become a much more skilled motorcyclist and you'll run much less risk of having an accident.

Sure if you're 30 and only now took you license I can sympathize with you if you don't want to go back to riding a MTB or moped or 125. But if you're still young and only dreaming about one day riding around on a motorbike you shouldn't feel any hurry to get a big bike. Small bikes are just as fun as big bikes, it just means you'll have to stick to smaller roads. But if you live in an area with a lot of small roads having a small bike is better than having a big one!

Blue&Yellow screwed with this post 04-24-2010 at 06:22 PM
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #179
SkinnyTiger
Adventurer Princess

Oddometer: 15
This is an excellent thread - Lots of great advice from the field

One is never too experienced - keep learning
Motorcycle safety courses, basic and advanced
Look where you want to go (has saved me more than once)
Track days are great

For what it' worth I started on a CBR600 F2 (not a moped) 15 years ago - Just know your limits and know your bike

Have fun - if it's not fun - you're not doing it right

Babies don't need a vacation, but I still see them at the beach... it pisses me off! I'll go over to a little baby and say 'What are you doing here? You haven't worked a day in your life!'
SkinnyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:27 AM   #180
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Yikes. A little color edit to reflect life in the USA. I say no to the moped. IMO the smallest road bike to start on here is a 250. It is capable.

Other than that I agree with much of what you say about Progressing faster and becoming safer more skilled rider...
Yeah I guess a moped isn't much fun in the states with your big roads, a European moped will do 30 mph (often 40 mph with minor mods) and if you choose an offroad version there's lots of fun to be had for a teenager on small back roads and forest trails. I don't really expect people to go back to riding MTBs or mopeds or 125s either if you just got your license.... all I'm saying is that if you're about to choose between a 250 off-road bike that your instructor thinks you should have or that 600 sports bike that you think look so damn sexy.... go with the smaller bike.... if in any doubt at all go with the smaller bike.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote