Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #241
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Paco
Don't try to "out run" the rain. You won't. Not unless you're on an empty highway heading directly away from it. Even then, you won't. It'll just make you stupid and wreck, so you can sit there under a convenient awning and wait for your ride to the hospital while you watch your bike get rained on.
Had a Harley buddy try to out run a storm in South Dakota. He didn't outrun it, but he hit a deer (actually a deer hit him) doing 110. Deer took out the front wheel and he slid a long, long way. Fortunately for him he slid straight down a long, straight highway and didn't hit anything else.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #242
The_Paco
Coffee in Noisy End

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputyjones
Had a Harley buddy try to out run a storm in South Dakota. He didn't outrun it, but he hit a deer (actually a deer hit him) doing 110. Deer took out the front wheel and he slid a long, long way. Fortunately for him he slid straight down a long, straight highway and didn't hit anything else.
"On the one hand, dear, hospital time and $5000+ worth of damage... On the other, pre-washed venison burgers! See? A silver lining! Ow ow stop hitting me I'm injured!"
Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #243
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Thumb

Run in a lower gear when you have the choice..this way you make a little bit more sound and get noticed. These enduros are very quiet on the road compared to harleys and barely get noticed.

When you think someone is about to cut you off, start flashing your head lights and rapidly hit the horn. Got me out of trouble today
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #244
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15
Run in a lower gear when you have the choice..this way you make a little bit more sound and get noticed. These enduros are very quiet on the road compared to harleys and barely get noticed.
Fit a forward facing exhaust for extra safety. It doesn't matter that there won't be room for a muffler, mufflers are death traps!
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #245
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Is there such a thing? Never seen/hear of em..
Old 06-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #246
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15
Is there such a thing? Never seen/hear of em..
You were being mocked for the notion that loud pipes save lives.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #247
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350581

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #248
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

ahh..thats why im still a n00b
Old 06-08-2010, 03:50 AM   #249
SBloke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
It's not a matter of if, but when you crash. With that in mind -> ATGATT

And a crash can be as simple as forgetting to stick out your leg when standing still

Special rule for all old thumpers: Check your engine mounting bolts on a regular basis. I've lost an entire bolt and two nuts in the course of 8k miles. Even with locktite they just have the habit is getting loose.

And of course we have those things we all know like: Do a pre-ride check on lighting, brakes, fluids, tires. You know, those checks we learn when getting our license but over the course of a few years disappear from our thoughts.

Last one: Always ride with your lights on. No matter what the weather.
SBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #250
Kingsqueak
Wannabe

Oddometer: 820
If you are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, favor the left of the lane unless you have a good reason otherwise. Mentioned way back, but leave yourself an escape if the guy behind you isn't stopping.

As a rider myself, I just don't get why solo riders would stick in the right side of a lane in stop/start traffic jams. Simple reason, the driver behind them isn't lined up with them. Drives me nuts following a bike that does that. Stay where the following driver will see your lights.

Maintain pace of traffic___PLEASE___. Don't be an obstacle causing people to try all manner of crazy ways to overtake you. This is a constant issue with the cruiser crowd around here...they have to be crazy doing 10 under the limit. If you must ride that much slower than surrounding traffic, pull over and let them go. It makes me cringe to see this happen. I had to pass a guy on the right a few weekends ago, he was doing 35 in a 50...on a MOTORCYCLE.

Actually on open roads with multi-lane traffic, I tend to keep a few ticks faster than the main flow. Just a few mph so you are 'reeling in' the traffic and in better control of lane position and seeing what is going on around you. You're less likely to wind up sitting in someone's blind spot that way too...which is something you just don't want to do on a bike.
Kingsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #251
docsabre
Docsabre

Oddometer: 14
The most important part of the motorcycle is the nut connecting the left and right handlebar grips.
docsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #252
RiDR
The Himalayan what?

Oddometer: 592
Learn to ride on a dirt bike first - the skills you will pickup will translate into street riding in a way otherwise not attainable through any other means.

When going through intersections try to use other cars to block you from oncoming left hand turns.
RiDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #253
DocRogers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni
As one of the aforementioned dangerous pickup trucks. Do not follow me. The back of my truck is a bucket. Or in some people's eyes, a free dumpster that will take their trash far away. While I try to be careful and not put anything in the back of my truck that will fly out, other people aren't so careful. I end up with everything from mcdonald's cups to boxes of used diapers, to week old Applebees To-Go bags (with food). None of which are mine, all of which are prone to flying out of my bed at random trajectories. And no, I'm not going to bring other people's trash into my cab.

The generalization that can be made is if you're behind a pickup, dump truck, or some sort of giant motorized bucket, assume stuff will fly out of it and you'll have to make some Starfox-esque moves to avoid it. Just because you're in a different lane doesn't save you. Stuff blows around in circles until a crosswind catches it and blows it out.

As a newb who hasn't been on his first road ride yet, great thread. Thanks for the input guys!
This is SO true - though the tonneau on my truck helps to control the problem.

Additionally . . .

Stay out of traffic until you have a few miles under you.

Try to get some dirt time if at all possible. Dirt bikes will do unexpected stuff all the time and try to spit you off, and you will learn how to stay on - without some cretin with a cell phone glues to his/her ear trying to kill you at the same time.

If you can't find buddies who are willing to ride at your pace, then ride alone.

ATGATT.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #254
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
The dirt advice may be good, but if I had started on dirt, I may not have continued riding. I suck on dirt, and it isn't much fun. I love riding on pavement though. I am sticking it out on dirt, because i do believe it will improve my skills if I can stop being afraid of it.
daq7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #255
Kingsqueak
Wannabe

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by daq7
The dirt advice may be good, but if I had started on dirt, I may not have continued riding. I suck on dirt, and it isn't much fun. I love riding on pavement though. I am sticking it out on dirt, because i do believe it will improve my skills if I can stop being afraid of it.
It is finesse and technique and the right instructor is key.

If you are finding yourself locked up and fighting the bike, it is because you are doing it wrong....says a guy who has sweat dripping out his own chinbar a few minutes into most dirt riding.

Really, I hired on an instructor and it was incredibly valuable. After I get the cobwebs out of riding basics again, I'll hire a new dirt instructor too.

After a decent few hours on the dirt, when you get back on asphalt it feels like you are riding on Velcro by comparison. Nothing has improved my confidence as a rider more than riding on the dirt. I managed an almost dirt-tracker slide on black ice on a traffic jughandle in the dark and just came out the other end upright...only due to dirt experience.
Kingsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote