If you don't know how to ride, LEARN.
Fixed
Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #1263
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 568
Prolly 250'd but worth repeating:

"Training is the best farkle you can buy"

Spent Sunday at Motoventures with Gary LaPlante for a day of skills development. Worth every dollar. Going back in a couple weeks for a Trials day.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #1264
mfgc2310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Motorcycles are dangerous because ...

Motorcycles are dangerous because you can be in control but then you are not and getting back to being in control again requires a whole set of skills that have nothing to do with riding the motorcycle when you are in control.

The only way to learn the skills of regaining control of the motorcycle is to be out of control - you see the dilemma. You have seconds to do something to regain control.

Somehow figure out how to practice regaining control of an out of control motorcycle in all situations where the bike is out of control.

As a minimum you should learn what the motorcycle feels like just before it goes out of control so that you can anticipate and possibly avoid loss of control.

At the extreme advanced dirt riding is almost being out of control most of the time.

At least if you crash you won't have crashed because you lost control of the motorcycle only because you were unable to regain control or hit something, went off the cliff in control
mfgc2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #1265
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
Dirt riding for newbie adults is a one way express ticket to the wheelchair or grave.

Some bike schools have bikes with huge crash bars you can use to learn how to recover from out of control situations. I think this excellent but I'm not sure how well the lessons will stick due to you not doing them enough to create lifetime 'muscle memory'.

Dirt riding for adult newbies? insane. Maybe a newbie doing semi-dirt like taught by Jimmy Lewis on a GS would be a good thing, but real dirt riding? Insane.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #1266
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Dirt riding for newbie adults is a one way express ticket to the wheelchair or grave.
no it is not.

Quote:
Dirt riding for adult newbies? insane.
bullshit. utter, complete bullshit.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #1267
mfgc2310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:

Some bike schools have bikes with huge crash bars you can use to learn how to recover from out of control situations. I think this excellent but I'm not sure how well the lessons will stick due to you not doing them enough to create lifetime 'muscle memory'.

Dirt riding for adult newbies? insane. Maybe a newbie doing semi-dirt like taught by Jimmy Lewis on a GS would be a good thing, but real dirt riding? Insane.
Not really - you can get the bike to do everything under 50 km/hr or slower and the landing can be a lot softer. Ironically it's best not to have aggressive dirt tires. While it is never fun to crash, you should expect and be able to come off the bike at 40 to 50 km/hr.

It can be misleading to watch video's of bike crashes because all you see is the slide or whatever but in reality the bike was giving feedback to the rider that he should have been doing something about or was not reacting to or able to receive.
mfgc2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #1268
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:

Thats such a retarded comment, I can only hope hes just trolling.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #1269
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
Slide is just a limp wristed fool afraid of his own shadow. He shouldn't even ride.

If you all would stop quoting him most would not even see his drivel due to the ignore function.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #1270
FishTaco
urban misfit

Oddometer: 75
Quote:

Awwww jeeze. Here we go again.
FishTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #1271
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I'm a newbie so this might sound stupid - but having had a close call the other day I would say 'There are some Drivers who literally don't 'see' you' and you sooner or later you will have a split second to get out of THEIR way. IOW - always think of an 'out'. Just my twopence worth...
Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #1272
Ahboon
Re-Cycled

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJohn View Post
I'm a newbie so this might sound stupid - but having had a close call the other day I would say 'There are some Drivers who literally don't 'see' you' and you sooner or later you will have a split second to get out of THEIR way. IOW - always think of an 'out'. Just my twopence worth...
Good advice IrishJohn - Always have a plan "B"!!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #1273
kelleym3
Adven

Oddometer: 1
Riding the greater DC area, one learns that defense is the best offense. Always look before before changing lanes and pavement hurts.
kelleym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #1274
Drummerbeej
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for the advice dudes.... Much learned!
Drummerbeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #1275
travelR6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
if you're not able to focus 110% on riding, then let your bike in the garage. on 2 wheels concentration is your life insurance.
travelR6 is offline   Reply With Quote