Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #1426
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,937
Kenny Roberts (google for vids of world-class roadrace demigod) used to play 'what if?' in his head. The way he explained it, he would think of an event- crash, highside, loss of power- by one of the competitors, how it would affect him, and what he would to. Then he would velcro it to the back of his mind, and if said event happened he'd rip it off and execute, since the thinking had already been done.
Worked for him, and it stuck with me. Helped me many many times, on the track and on the street. "What if that driver doesn't see the light change?" "What if that guy doesn't see me and steps off the curb?" "What if...."
I disagree with 'the motorcycle is always wrong'. The majority of accidents involving other vehicles are caused by the cage violating the rider's right of way. Study the Hurt Report- old, but still valid.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.

1911fan screwed with this post 02-14-2014 at 09:01 PM Reason: i not spel gud sumtymes
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #1427
DRV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Kenny Roberts (google for vids of world-class roadrace demigod) used to play 'what if?' in his head. The way he explained it, he would think of an event- crash, highside, loss of power- by one of the competitors, how it would affect him, and wohat he would to. Then he would velcro it to the back of his mind, and if said event happened he'd rip it off and execute, since the thinking had already been done.
Worked for him, and it stuck with me. Helped me many many times, on the track and on the street. "What if that driver doesn't see the light change?" "What if that guy doesn't see me and steps off the curb?" "What if...."
I disagree with 'the motorcycle is always wrong'. The majority of accidents involving other vehicles are caused by the cage violating the rider's right of way. Study the Hurt Report- old, but still valid.

1911fan
Thats a really good game to play, I play it all the time whether I'm flying, walking on a city street, driving or on my bike! "situational awareness."
Old 02-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #1428
silverpenny
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
I have actually been checking into a class, the closest one is the weekend after my birthday. (Late birthday present to myself can never hurt getting him to join me may be a different story.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
As a motorcycle n00b with a long-term rider boyfriend, I strongly advise against going to the class together. You want to focus on you and only you during the course; his presence will probably complicate that even if he's leaving you alone to learn. At worst, he could try to talk over the instructor to teach you during the class and get both of you kicked out.

Personally, I know that if my boyfriend had taken the class with me, I would have worried about looking stupid in front of him. That worry would have been unconscious, but it's still hella distracting (plus looking stupid is how I learn ).
silverpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #1429
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpenny View Post
As a motorcycle n00b with a long-term rider boyfriend, I strongly advise against going to the class together. You want to focus on you and only you during the course; his presence will probably complicate that even if he's leaving you alone to learn. At worst, he could try to talk over the instructor to teach you during the class and get both of you kicked out.

Personally, I know that if my boyfriend had taken the class with me, I would have worried about looking stupid in front of him. That worry would have been unconscious, but it's still hella distracting (plus looking stupid is how I learn ).
I completely agree. I don't care too much for taking it with him. Love him to death but I would need to focus solely on myself at that point. He thinks I need more practice before I take the class. Which slightly confuses me, because isn't the basic rider course to help teach me? : I want to take it asap but he thinks I should wait a while. Im not sure what to do!

sailorninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #1430
CosmoKorny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Just take the class. You'll get to practice dropping the school's bike, not his.
CosmoKorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #1431
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKorny View Post
Just take the class. You'll get to practice dropping the school's bike, not his.
I have my own. ;)

Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #1432
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
I want to take it asap but he thinks I should wait a while. Im not sure what to do!
I vote for taking the class ASAP without your significant other present.

The instructors in the classes I have taken are all excellent.
You will learn a lot and at least in my part of the country they are not expensive ... less expensive than a busted brake lever and scuffed jacket!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #1433
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,330
Make sure you read all the threads on countersteering, weighing the pegs, and ABS. They are very concise and informative.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #1434
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I vote for taking the class ASAP without your significant other present.

The instructors in the classes I have taken are all excellent.
You will learn a lot and at least in my part of the country they are not expensive ... less expensive than a busted brake lever and scuffed jacket!
That is what I want to do! It's makes me so sad to see her just sitting in the garage begging to rode. (Besides yard practice lol) I do have another question, after taking said class and getting the proper gear, how long after taking the class (basic rider) should you wait before hitting the road? (less busy ones for me at least)

Also; I am kind of scared of going to take the class and failing it and losing my money, any advice on that one? :o

Old 02-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #1435
geolpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Even if you don't pass, you will learn a lot. When you pass, realize that you still don't know much and above all, either ride alone or with someone who will go at your comfortable pace. An adrenaline rush is a message that you are exceeding you skill level. I still occasionally get them after more than 50 years of riding. They mean slow down and pay better attention. Remember push down to turn. Push down.
geolpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #1436
tlub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Just do it.

Take the class, ASAP, without the significant other. You want no distractions, whether that distraction is a person or a worry about what that person might think. Sure, go over what you have learned with the SO, but do this on your own. It will only be you, without a co-pilot, working the controls when you do ride, and you should learn in that mental environment. All my girlfriends that learned to ride did it in the MSF course WITHOUT me (although I knew them at the time) because that is the way to learn the most. (OK, one I met in my first MSF course, but that doesn't count!). BTW, the final girlfriend is my now-wife of nearly 30 years.
And a Ninja on grass sounds like a fish on a bicycle.
tlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #1437
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
T another question, after taking said class and getting the proper gear, how long after taking the class (basic rider) should you wait before hitting the road? (less busy ones for me at least)
Ride it home from class, if the roads aren't too busy. Or, if you truck/trailer it to class, unload it and ride around your neighborhood or any other area you will be comfortable in. But go ride!! That day!! Right after class!!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #1438
CosmoKorny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
I'm an experienced rider but took the class with my two teenage sons. The instructor thought it was great, and I just rode and let my boys watch. It was a fantastic bonding experience. That said taking it with my wife would've been catastrophic.

There was a lady in the class who didn't pass. She was told she could retake the riding portion of the class for a nominal fee.
CosmoKorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #1439
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

I am having a real issue deciding whether or not to take the class on 3/14-16, I know that I REALLLLLLY want to, but I haven't had ALOT of riding/practice time just yet, decisions, decisions... ghead:

Old 02-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #1440
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
You know how the clutch works, take the class.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote