Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #1441
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
You know how the clutch works, take the class.
True.....:sly:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
sailorninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:04 AM   #1442
ghulst
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
You know how the clutch works, take the class.
With you on that. Take the class as soon as a spot is available. Then, ride the bike preferably every day after. Best way to learn. Start on quieter roads and build up. You'll have fun.
ghulst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:34 AM   #1443
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghulst View Post
With you on that. Take the class as soon as a spot is available. Then, ride the bike preferably every day after. Best way to learn. Start on quieter roads and build up. You'll have fun.
Does it matter that i'll be using a different bike there?

Old 02-23-2014, 04:43 AM   #1444
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 518
TOO MUCH WORRY! JUST TAKE THE CLASS!!!!!!

When I took it there were at least 3 people (inc. one young female) who had NEVER even SAT on a moving bike before the class!! They all learned tons, rode fine and passed the test at the end. I think you are over-thinking it and getting too anxious. Maybe your BF wants you to think it is harder than it really is, so you stay impressed with his biking prowess???? I am sure YOU CAN DO IT!
Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 AM   #1445
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
TOO MUCH WORRY! JUST TAKE THE CLASS!!!!!!

When I took it there were at least 3 people (inc. one young female) who had NEVER even SAT on a moving bike before the class!! They all learned tons, rode fine and passed the test at the end. I think you are over-thinking it and getting too anxious. Maybe your BF wants you to think it is harder than it really is, so you stay impressed with his biking prowess???? I am sure YOU CAN DO IT!
I just didn't want to undermine his advice and just be like "hey, I know you said I should wait and practice more but I've signed up for the class". Which, ironically is what I've now done. Oops. : I just want to learn and everyone else suggests taking it so I guess ill find out. Im more excited for the weekend AFTER my birthday than for my actual 21st birthday. Ha

Old 02-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #1446
ghulst
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
Which, ironically is what I've now done.

Go!! Have fun!
ghulst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #1447
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
I just didn't want to undermine his advice and just be like "hey, I know you said I should wait and practice more but I've signed up for the class". Which, ironically is what I've now done. Oops. : I just want to learn and everyone else suggests taking it so I guess ill find out. Im more excited for the weekend AFTER my birthday than for my actual 21st birthday. Ha

well done. my wife took the class and passed never having ridden a bike before, and although she wound up getting a scooter, she's a natural in the corners. you'll learn tons and have a blast!

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #1448
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
well done. my wife took the class and passed never having ridden a bike before, and although she wound up getting a scooter, she's a natural in the corners. you'll learn tons and have a blast!
I'm excited! I still have a little time left to practice anyways. ;)

Old 02-24-2014, 12:24 AM   #1449
BCKRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
One thing to consider about practice - it perfects what you are doing. If what you are doing is WRONG, then you have to UNLEARN some bad habits as well as learn good ones. The beginning MSF class is really solid in most areas, so do exactly what the instructor tells you to do, even if your boyfriend tells you differently.

Since you have a road bike and intend to ride the roads, try to do exactly that as often as you can - preferably on lightly travelled roads - as soon as you legally can. (And yes, ATGATT.)

When I was a noob, I found it very helpful to ride both ahead of and behind more experienced riders - but only ones who were willing to ride my slower pace. You want to be both alert and comfortable as you practice the technics you learned. If you think you are going too fast, YOU ARE!

I found (and still find) it a good idea to concentrate on one or two things each practice ride. And EVERY ride is an opportunity to practice your technic. What you learn from concentrated practice will stay with you when you concentrate on another technic or two. And you can always take any technic or "situational awareness" to a higher level.

Practice the most important things first (you will learn what they are in the course) and leave the more advanced technics (leaning off, trail-braking, number of fingers on the brake lever, etc.) to later. Some or all them can help you later, but you can't learn everything in the first year.

The goal is ALWAYS first to survive, second to learn, and third to have fun. I think women are less likely than men to get these priorities mixed up.
BCKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #1450
geolpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Don't tailgate. It is recommended to keep 2 seconds behind the vehicle ahead. I prefer 4 or more seconds. Just watch the vehicle ahead pass a landmark and count one thousand one, one thousand two and so on. If you get passed and that vehicle takes up your cushion space, slow and open it up again. I do the same in cars.
geolpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #1451
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
One thing to consider about practice - it perfects what you are doing. If what you are doing is WRONG, then you have to UNLEARN some bad habits as well as learn good ones. The beginning MSF class is really solid in most areas, so do exactly what the instructor tells you to do, even if your boyfriend tells you differently.

Since you have a road bike and intend to ride the roads, try to do exactly that as often as you can - preferably on lightly travelled roads - as soon as you legally can. (And yes, ATGATT.)

When I was a noob, I found it very helpful to ride both ahead of and behind more experienced riders - but only ones who were willing to ride my slower pace. You want to be both alert and comfortable as you practice the technics you learned. If you think you are going too fast, YOU ARE!

I found (and still find) it a good idea to concentrate on one or two things each practice ride. And EVERY ride is an opportunity to practice your technic. What you learn from concentrated practice will stay with you when you concentrate on another technic or two. And you can always take any technic or "situational awareness" to a higher level.

Practice the most important things first (you will learn what they are in the course) and leave the more advanced technics (leaning off, trail-braking, number of fingers on the brake lever, etc.) to later. Some or all them can help you later, but you can't learn everything in the first year.

The goal is ALWAYS first to survive, second to learn, and third to have fun. I think women are less likely than men to get these priorities mixed up.
Makes a lot of sense!

Old 02-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #1452
CosmoKorny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolpilot View Post
Don't tailgate. It is recommended to keep 2 seconds behind the vehicle ahead. I prefer 4 or more seconds. Just watch the vehicle ahead pass a landmark and count one thousand one, one thousand two and so on. If you get passed and that vehicle takes up your cushion space, slow and open it up again. I do the same in cars.
Huh? Why be a target.
CosmoKorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #1453
braindigitalis
Wet weather sucks!

Oddometer: 78
Thumb

When filtering, watch the positions of the wheels of the traffic beside you. If a cager has forgotten to signal thr fact that his tires are pointing into your direction of travel is a good sign he is about to pull out on you.
braindigitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #1454
MotoMusicMark OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Target?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKorny View Post
Huh? Why be a target.
I don't quite get what you mean by "Why be a target?"

P.S. I just had to say something...Looking over all the choices of smilies to insert I never would have thought of a smilie "humping" another smilie but there it was! People can be oddly creative at times, wouldn't you say?
MotoMusicMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #1455
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMusicMark View Post
I don't quite get what you mean by "Why be a target?"
Loosely Translated he likely means that you should always ride slightly faster than the general flow of traffic. (for safety)