Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench
You are experiencing the effect of a warped cylinder head. 81 on heads are prone to this.

... or the effects of some dummy previous owner trying to pry the cover off after removing only the center nut.

OE gaskets are "installed dry" because they are made with a built-on adhesive that will indeed stick them to the cylinder head. That is, put the side with lettering next to head.

Silicone gaskets are a leaking solution, but they are a PITA to work with.

You'll know you have the R cover on the left when you note the fins not parallel to the ground (not even close). And vice versa.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #17
AirScoop OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Last update from me on this thread: turns out I still had a tiny leak even with the double gasket, so I removed the valve cover and rotated it so the "L" faced down. Took the bike for a ride and no more leak! I'm guessing the valve cover is warped in such a way as to not leak near the bottom when installed right side up. Left both gaskets in anyway.

Thanks to all for your help and great ideas!

Dave
'84 Honda Magna V30
----------------------------------------------------
"If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV." Homer Simpson
AirScoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #18
sigpe57
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirScoop View Post
Last update from me on this thread: turns out I still had a tiny leak even with the double gasket, so I removed the valve cover and rotated it so the "L" faced down. Took the bike for a ride and no more leak! I'm guessing the valve cover is warped in such a way as to not leak near the bottom when installed right side up. Left both gaskets in anyway.

Dave
I'm going this route. with double gasket, it's not pouring out but still 3-5 drops after 3 hours. I will exchange the valve cover with Left/Right marking side down. How did anyone ever find out L/R should face down? Is it in the workshop manual?
sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #19
GCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Leaking Valve Cover Gasket

Sometimes you just need to get your bike up temperature by riding it afterwards to let the gasket seal up well. A nice 10-15 mile run is good to stop lots of leaks. Works for me.
GCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #20
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Mine stopped leaking after I stopped giving a shit. Win/win
Near time to check the clearances again tho dammit.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #21
Screaming Chicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
The L/R goes down. Whilst it will fit either way the angle of the fins looks wrong when the cover is upsidedown.
The angle of the fins looks wrong when the covers are swapped side to side. The angle is exacty the same when mounted upside down.
In the land of Bavaria, where the boxers ride...
(Gandalf the oil-stained)
Screaming Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #22
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirScoop View Post

Dave
Excepting heavily crashed valve covers, I have never seen one warped enough to matter. I have seen dozens and dozens of heads warped enough to matter. '81 on? I have seen '70's heads warp just as much as post 70's heads. The air pump port has nothing to do with it.

Minus machining, double gaskets with silicon in between the gaskets is the best solution. Silicon gaskets? Absolute junk! Anywhere!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #23
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Excepting heavily crashed valve covers, I have never seen one warped enough to matter. I have seen dozens and dozens of heads warped enough to matter. '81 on? I have seen '70's heads warp just as much as post 70's heads. The air pump port has nothing to do with it.

Minus machining, double gaskets with silicon in between the gaskets is the best solution. Silicon gaskets? Absolute junk! Anywhere!

Yeah, you're right. Junk. It's been a long time since I put them in, and guess what? No leaks. Guess I shoulda doubled up a pair of the stockers with a gob of silicone in between. Nothing like professional!

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #24
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
Yeah, you're right. Junk. It's been a long time since I put them in, and guess what? No leaks. Guess I shoulda doubled up a pair of the stockers with a gob of silicone in between. Nothing like professional!
Why do so many inmates here feel the need to throw people under the bus while disagreeing with them. I never said a gob of silicon. Silicon gaskets themselves? I have seen them working once or twice out of the dozens of times I have seen them patently not working. I have heard that you can actually reuse them IF you clean every trace of oil off of them and the gasket surfaces before re-installation and you are very careful under tightening them. I spend a LOT of time on my own bikes for 46 years now and I don't have the time for silicon gaskets.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #25
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,718
Okay, maybe I was a little harsh. If we're going to pick nits, then lets start with silicon vs. silicone. One is sand, the other a nice sealant. I know that you know this.

FWIW: I have not cleaned my silicone gaskets any more than I did the stockers, and I still have zero leaks. They solved an issue for me that the stock setup could not, no matter what I did.

It's getting too easy to yank your chain SS.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #26
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
The real reason valve covers leak. Take a head with the problem,its not warping, and set it cylinder gasket surface down on a flat surface. Measure the depth at the 4 main studs to the flat surface. The 2 near the intake side will probably measure around 3.380". The exhaust side should be considerably less especially next to the air injection port. The head is not warping but shrinking down in that area due to being overheated. When heated to a critical temp aluminum as well as most metals shrinks as it cools. The cure is to mill the top surface parallel to the head gskt surface. I have seen them as much as .060" lower.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #27
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtg View Post
The real reason valve covers leak. Take a head with the problem,its not warping, and set it cylinder gasket surface down on a flat surface. Measure the depth at the 4 main studs to the flat surface. The 2 near the intake side will probably measure around 3.380". The exhaust side should be considerably less especially next to the air injection port. The head is not warping but shrinking down in that area due to being overheated. When heated to a critical temp aluminum as well as most metals shrinks as it cools. The cure is to mill the top surface parallel to the head gskt surface. I have seen them as much as .060" lower.
I knew 'warping' isn't really the right term to use and have tried to explain why before. I have explained it as the center part of the head swelling up but that isn't really right. I was just saying that for how I check the heads by rocking a straight edge over the center part of the head. As you know from actually measuring the damage, it's from the head shrinking, not swelling. Despite always finding it interesting how the valve cover gasket surface always 'warps' and the head gasket surface rarely does (at least not nearly so much), I had never paid that much attention to where exactly the milling machine was taking the most meat off.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #28
sigpe57
Gnarly Adventurer

What bout use Permatex liquid gasket and forget about the pre-formed hard gasket?

I doubled up the gasket and still leak after park for 1/2 hour.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #29
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
One can see quite clearly where the problem lies by putting the cover on without a gasket.
Placing a light below the cylinder will show where the gaps are.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #30
sigpe57
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
One can see quite clearly where the problem lies by putting the cover on without a gasket.
Placing a light below the cylinder will show where the gaps are.
OK I see the uneven surface, double up the gasket, still leak. What's the fix?