Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #16
nicholastanguma
nicholastanguma

Oddometer: 1,555
Jim, you write a RR like Cormac Mcarthy writes a novel. Very entertaining! Now give us more photos.

P.S. Holy moly, Tasmania is frakking beautiful.
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #17
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

Oddometer: 550
You know when you are camping and you have dreams about something attacking your tent, I had them last night a possum went for my food and actually bit a hole in the swag so i wasn't dreaming. Very tired night got no sleep.

Next day still raining stopped at a beach heading south

Doubting my sanity it has been constantly raining since i have been here, i'm wearing gortex jacket to bed

Frecinyt national park very crowded and they wanted 26$ to ride around it, so i used the facitities and left it is all bush walks. I will have to come back it was raining again.

Swansea away from the crowds
Sorry will have to save it here my computer is having a cheeky poo

maccajim screwed with this post 03-29-2010 at 04:50 PM
maccajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #18
Curryinahurry
Born 2 Ride

Oddometer: 527
Thumb Great RR Mate!

Well.. Cheeky Poo or not Jim..... The show must... Go On...

Just kidding Mate....

Great RR so far....

Pity about the rain though...

More pictures phuleeze..

Cheers

Bala
2006 - Yamaha R1 - SOLD
2005 - Yamaha R1 (Disappeared into thin air!!)
Curryinahurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #19
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

Swansea bay looking back at
Freycinet National Park

kept running into these guys old vintage cars traveling around the island

Swansea views

The wind seems to pickup in the afternoon about 30 knots gusting so got a backpackers for $30
it was empty room to myself with pub next door beer and pizza time. I still don't understand the beer sizes here
They have 10oz glass 13oz, handle and pints to complicated for me so i will have to stick to pints until I understand better.

Next morning nice weather heading to Hobart the Tasmanian capital city and an old city as far
as Australia is concerned.

Hobart bridge over the bay got to kill some time here as can't check in until 3 or so into my room.
The rain has destroyed my iphone headphones so mission one is to replace them and check out the boutique brewerys here.

Exploring around the Battery point area with some nice old buildings similar to the Rocks area in Sydney,
lots of pubs and restaurants.

Found a nice boutique brewery with moo beer not bad

I decided to stay somewhere nice in Hobart after recommendation from a friend parked here at vineyard,
one of the windiest places in the world.

My room is not ready yet so i hit the tasting cellar door very nice.

The bad point of staying here during the cheap midweeks times is the restaruant is closed so got to make do.

I had a good sleep but early call in the morning from reception saying the wind had blown my bike over in the night, that is how strong it was that morning so not a good start to be riding.
Anyway nice breakfast next morning.

maccajim screwed with this post 03-29-2010 at 06:41 PM
Old 03-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #20
TimCz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Looking great! I love tassie.

Went for a photography holiday down there a few years back. Absolutely beautiful place. Much cooler than up here in QLD too.
TimCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #21
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

Heading to Strahan so north west from here on wind and rain same as
usual.

Great view i missed a lot of good photo opps as i couldn't stop because of narrow roads, high wind and rain.

Hungry wombat about the only stop on the way across the state

The road into Queenstown is unbelievable a windy switchback down into the town.

Queenstown a once very prosperous mining town so it has some great old style buildings.

Beautiful old woodwork in the local pub

They have an old steam strain which does a trip to Strahan and back for tourists

Then onto Strahan a great road between these two towns amazing twists etc.

Raining again so parked up at a caravan park with tonnes of Britz camper vans.

I hadn't checked my pannier since it got blown over in the wind when i did i saw this not good

The next day off to ocean beach dirt road and beach views stretching out before you next land is Africa
and it feels like it when you are here no one around for miles.
The sign says pedestrians only but by the time i saw read it was too late to turn around so had to goto the beach.

Ocean beach

Heading to the Western explorer and crossing the Pieman river

The end of the road waiting for the punt i got here a little early.

The rain here is like a mist it just hangs in the air here is a pic showing the rain with flash highlighting it.

I was too early for the punt is doesn't start until 9am so i checked out the old grave sites nearby and
then lay down for a rest when I heard noises from across the river.

The Pieman river early morning

The punt coming over an hour early as some tourists had met the ferry man at the pub the night before
they shouted him some beers to bring them over earlier than usual, good luck for me.

Sunrise across the river to beautiful country hard to describe remote and untouched.

maccajim screwed with this post 04-04-2010 at 10:21 PM
Old 03-30-2010, 02:11 AM   #22
Anna
Dedicated chocolate lover

Oddometer: 385
Great report. Haven't made it to the West yet (on the bike, that is). It's very inspiring to look at your pics and I think I will have to organise it for next summer.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:20 AM   #23
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,813
Nice one mate, those shots after the Pieman are superb.

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 AM   #24
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,831
Top stuff, I can't get enough of Tassie.
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:40 AM   #25
redhot1503
Dumbphuck.

Oddometer: 79
great report...pics really tell a story!!
redhot1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #26
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

Raining again

Great mountain view with early morning mist I only passed 2 cars coming the other way the on the entire road.

This road is great as it doesn't get slippery when it rains and rain it does again.

Pretty worn out bridge but not too slippery despite the rain.

The beautiful dry white silica road continues on snaking up the West coast.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #27
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

Rain go away

I was sick of the rain at this point and decided to go north to the coast instead of left to the Edge of the World (it's a real place). The coast was perfect sunny and views.

Great views along the north coast the road follows very close to the beach.

I got to Devenport ferry a bit early as I cut out some of the West coast, sitting back chilling lots of other travellers mostly camper van Grey Nomads they make up about 80% of the ferry and every camp spot. I ran into these antique car guys a lot on my trip around.

Security check they confiscated my gas tiny screw in gas bottle as it could sink the ferry and they have no idea about bikes not wanting to start stop creep the clutch a bit annoying.

The ferry arrived very late and you have to wait for all the unloading

Waiting ages for the ferry in the line my bike stood out, behind me lined up a certain group of bikers on
Harleys that like leather only half of them here the rest were getting their bikes washed nearby and then revving the crap out of them this went on for nearly 2hours.

maccajim screwed with this post 04-04-2010 at 10:25 PM
Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #28
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

Ferry

I was pretty shattered on the ferry very long day so few beers and sleep.

Sunrise coming into Melbourne.

I wanted to get straight out of the city and just Hammer hammer so north up the boring freeway until Wodonga then on the motorbike bible book 100 greatest rides roads to Tallango something and Koscisuko park etc lots of riding but i was pretty hyped to be back on the mainland and heading home. I wanted to get to the coast in 1 day but couldn't make it.
You can tell the temperature difference in this picture about 28c and dry dry unlike Tassie.

This road was amazing up down and round with great views around a lake etc and no traffic you can keep a good 100kmh average much better than the Hume.

This is first campsite after twisty Alpine way coming down to the river looked great but i think it costs heaps i had no pass or anything also no beers so better keep going, i think it is $26 just to have a look.

Then more snakey twisting mountains upto 1400m on the range sorry no photos I was wearing tinted goggles and thought it was nearly dark but it was only 4pm or so in a hurry to get to Cooma.

Nearly ran out of fuel in the mountains as all petrol pumps were closed? but made it to Adiamamby 50km from Cooma with less than 4 liters left luckily there was a BP right near the road as you enter town.

Stayed at one of those park your car or bike in front of your door, as i rolled up to my room with the engine on I thought i heard some old guy say "you better not start that thing up early in the morning" it was a Friday night and pretty much everyone there was already drinking, the bike must have been bloody loud with the Staintune echoing under the carport. I couldn't tell as had my ear plugs in and was very used to it.

Next morning I rolled the bike out to the road I know i would hate it if the guy in the room next to me started a noisy bike early on a sat morning.

The road home early from Cooma to Braidwood a great road 137km of mostly gravel and some bitumen through windy mountain views and farmland.

Filling up at a Servo i found this bolt just balanced near the kickstarter and rear shock on the left hand side i couldn't believe it had
stayed there. It's pretty big with an internal thread so it either holds the petrol tank on or one of my stands, so pretty important.

Home hot busy traffic bike overheating clutch slipping welcome home.

maccajim screwed with this post 04-04-2010 at 10:27 PM
Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #29
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

the bolt

Hiya
I found out that bolt was holding my petrol tank in place. it stayed on the bike frame somehow.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:39 AM   #30
Bowes
Oman Dirty Biker

Oddometer: 214
Top ride report, I am enjoying the pics, some lovely country there. What season was this ride done, recently?

Offroad Riding - Lap of Oman for Mary 2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416409

The 8th Wonder of the World Discovered in Oman: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476324
Bowes is offline   Reply With Quote