Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #46
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,170
i have lived in the desert,by the sea and in the mountains.i believe the desert in bloom is the most interesting by far.your story and photo's are wonderful.thank you.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #47
007ADVenture
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Thanks for the great pics! I have the TZ5 camera that you used in some of your shots.....I can't shoot like that.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #48
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253

Old 03-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #49
mattherat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
yeah, you're spot on there, SPECTACULAR
mattherat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #50
Bruce H
Bruce H

Oddometer: 152
Nice ride report! Great photos. I do want to come along next time...

About a month ago I found myself laying on the road just south of Crater Lake, (also a solo rider) sure hurt like hell! Someone came along and helped my up, picked up my bike and helped me get back on. I rode 150 miles before finding a place to leave it, then called my wife. Went to the hospital next day, wouldn't want to rush it would you... 5 broken ribs, class 4 separated shoulder, broken finger, something was wrong with my ankle bit I didn't mention it, there were enough other problems.

I am ready to get back on, body isn't... your ride is what my dreams are made of. Thanks for shareing.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #51
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Dave
I have enjoyed your rides that past few weeks that you have photographed. The Montana Mountain and now this.
May I make a suggestion for your solo trips. Get yourself a SPOT messenger. It's pretty inexpensive insurance should you really have a bad situation. I also enjoy solo exploring and it helps to know that I have a resource to rely on should something really go wrong. It also helps make the wife more at ease with my adventures by allowing me to check in with her when I really don't have any phone service. Just a suggestion. Of course if you really want company on some of those trips, let me know. I'd love to accompany you.
I have been saving some of your shots in a special Arizona Photos to make my old friends in Calif. envious of what we have available to us for riding.
Have fun and if you ever want to come up to Payson for some touring let me know. We have alot of awesome scenery and riding up here also.

Mil T
Old 03-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #52
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007ADVenture
Thanks for the great pics! I have the TZ5 camera that you used in some of your shots.....I can't shoot like that.
007ADVenture, Leave your mode dial in the "Intelligent Auto" mode. I duct tape mine into that position so it won't change while shooting one-handed. Then go into the menu and change the color setting to "vivid". Point it at something purty and fire away.

All of the shots with the "Dave6253" watermark at the bottom are from the Panasonic Lumix TZ5.

MilT, I plan to get up to the Payson area when it warms up a bit. I love the area, but haven't been off road there on the bike. I keep sayin' I need to meet more local riders. I'll watch the West Regional Forum for upcoming rides my schedule may allow. (I'm not ready for any of those Nightstalker rides yet.)

SPOT messenger: I've considered it, and I know it wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe I'll end up getting one. My wife had a detailed map of my planned route in Kofa with instruction on when to call out the cavalry. I'm torn though. If we remove all the risk, what's the point? I doubt the adrenaline would flow as freely... I have faith in my survival skills, and was pretty well prepared for anything but a really serious injury. Knowing I may well need to call upon them kind of adds to the adventure.

dave6253 screwed with this post 04-08-2010 at 10:26 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #53
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

I stop to get up close and personal with a wildflower in the middle of the road when...

The first humans in the last 60 miles are spotted. I'm only 3 miles from the graded roads near the Kofa mine.

I pull the bike off the road and chat with the lead Jeep. He tells me there are 9 trucks in their group. They are from Yuma and are headed in about 20 more miles to camp for the night. The lead group consists of only 5 trucks. I wait about 10 minutes, but it becomes obvious the other 4 trucks are delayed for some reason.

I jump back on the road expecting the other four trucks to come barrelling around each corner.

I find them taking a beer break. While chatting with them I mention I'm trying to find stuff to photograph. One of the guys grabs the titty of the fat shirtless one and says "Here, shoot this! That'll go good on the internet". I oblige.

The rough road and scenic beauty keeps coming as fast as my right wrist demands.

The King of Arizona Gold Mine. Still in operation and posted no tresspassing.

Now I'm on fast graded gravel. Although there are many sections of deep gravel to contend with repeatedly.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #54
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
La, la, la la, la la, la, la , la la, Liiiiightroom

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #55
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

I made it out!

Bing told me this route would be 78 miles. Even with my navigation errors and spinning tires, I managed to save a few miles.

New asphalt just for me.

I've won the battle with the loose gravel and ever present tug of gravity. I'm elated and exhausted.

After a short jaunt on the blacktop I turn back into Kofa.

8 more miles to the base of Palm Canyon.

There is a parking lot at the dead end for a short trail into Palm Canyon.

I find a camping spot 1/4 mile from the trailhead and kill the engine. It's still early, but I'm done riding for the day.

But I'm not done shooting...
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #56
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antontrax
La, la, la la, la la, la, la , la la, Liiiiightroom
I still follow your every update Anton! You are definitely one of the influences that inspired me to improve my photos with post processing. Thanks for checking in. (Now if I can just learn how to reduce the amount of photos I feel the need to post...)
Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #57
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

I quickly set up camp and change into shorts and running shoes.

The last of the hikers are headed to their cars. Palm Canyon is probably the most visited feature of Kofa NWR.

There in the steep canyon wall is the only native palm trees still growing in Arizona.

With the zoom lens I can just make out my motorcycle and tent below.

I was hoping to spot wildlife. I was in a wildlife preserve after all. Kofa is home to Desert Bighorn Sheep. I only saw birds, rabbits, and lizards though. I can see that much wildlife, and probably more in my Phoenix neighborhood.

An Occotillo in Bloom

I didn't see any other people or vehicles the rest of the time there.

It was a beautiful place to watch the sunset on a wonderful day.

I pull out my Arizona Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlas and start pondering where to ride tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #58
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Great report...and photos.
Thanks for the sharing..
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #59
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253

I pull out my Arizona Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlas and start pondering where to ride tomorrow.

WOW!! - Great photos and a cool story which shows a perfect example of how it doesn't have to be a RTW trip to make it a worthy adventure.

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:12 AM   #60
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Wow, Dave, you are kickin' it up a notch! Photo's are looking great, and I love the new avatar, very Darth.

Subscribing as usual, my friend!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote