Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #31
snowbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Hmmm ...

Quote:

"Ahem... As far as I recall "certain people" needed more than that kind of fuel to carry on the day's riding.......... "

Nicomama! Not again!!

Can't wait for the next installment!

rw
snowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #32
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,529
Nicole, it was great to finally meet you, too. I thought there was a good chance I'd meet up with someone heading the same way, but what are the chances that it would have been the only other solo chick rider!

I sure wish I had your way with words & pics, these are great!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #33
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,079
Wow that looks like great riding. I NEED THE SUN. Thanks for the glimpse of sunny weather.

I don't know about pumping the air mattress from the exhaust Yikes he is brave.
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #34
Ks-Rydr
from the land of Toto

Oddometer: 227
Looks like you had a great time.... I and a couple of friends are doing a dual-sport ride out of Eureka Springs, Arkansas the middle of April, I am really looking forward to it. It looks like Trish has a very nice set-up there.

Ks-Rydr screwed with this post 03-30-2010 at 09:15 AM
Ks-Rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #35
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,345
as usual..

well done!!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #36
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 468
Titus Canyon, bring it on, Baby!

For me, Titus Canyon was challenging, and gave me a chance to stand on Jack's pegs (albeit a little small/stock) and let him dance beneath me through a span of terrain. You needed speed to get through some deep rock and gravel, but had to slow around some tight corners with sheer drops. Justin, Airborndad's son, could attest to this one as he maintained some speed hitting the corner and had to drag a foot to keep from going over the edge.

You'll have to take my word for how gorgeous the canyon was with its striated red rock walls and narrow meandering trail.

We had to stop for the petroglyphs that were left exposed on a rock wall...

Couldn't tell you their meaning, but I know one thing, the fun they had was on horses with hair...

You'll have to have a great imagination for this part of the thread, because I'm not quite at the skill level yet to be weilding the camera while riding dirt.

Need a name for this rider popping out at the exit of Titus Canyon...

And, check out Marsha the Ural Diva, who tackled that terrain with ease in her Ural and side car...

Once again, I had an absolute ball, and loved seeing Jack and myself all covered in dust...

We beelined it back to camp just as the sun was dropping low in the sky. I longingly looked at the dunes as we passed them knowing that one day I would learn to ride sand. But, until then, I would be an observer.

Man, did that hot shower feel good! The smell of carne asada in the air led the riders to the grills like a pied piper...

Thanks Fishyhead and Jimmy/1224r for serving up a fine Mexican smorgasborg of Carne Asada, beans, rice and varying caliente-ness of salsa. We all bellied up to the fire with food in tow to chow down and rest our weary bones, while vividly recapturing our day's rides...

The excitement continued as Joel passed out prizes for stand out recognition during this weekend event. Badges of honor went out to those that travelled the farthest via bike to get here; most damage done to bike during ride; who popped their dirt cherry this weekend, etc.

All in all, it was a truly great group of people who thoroughly enjoyed some fun riding in some beautiful country as a group. Does it get much better than this?

The socializing went on into early morn, and one by one we all dropped back into our tents and trailers...

After a good night's sleep on a borrowed air mattress and extra thick padded sleeping bag under my Big Agnes thanks to Airborndad, I woke up rarin' to squeeze in one last bit of adventure after packing everything up to get out of the sites by 10a.

First time I tried this organic powdered milk with my granola. Yum...

Some riders packed up to go home, some took off on longer rides that Sunday to avoid having to go back to work, and still others had taken that Monday off and were looking forward to another night of debauchery.

Here are Geoff and Kathy, the impressive 2 up that tackled Titus Canyon with ease and grace. Geoff's prowess with his big bike sure caught my attention, while Kathy behind him was eyeing bikes that she wanted to ride the next time out. Go Kathy!

My site mates Keith/Airborndad, his son Justin and I decided to ride a short distance to Darwin Falls for a nice little 45 minute hike in to see the pool of refreshing water before calling it a day.

Had to show you this funky Mercedes swiss army vehicle called a Pinzgauer...

It was nice to get out and stretch our legs after being on bikes the other part of the weekend...

We took in some beautiful rock formations along the trail, like balancing dinosaur head...

And, three elements of mother nature...

Keith and Justin skillfully navigated the slippery log trail...

Ah, the pot 'o' gold...

We took out time taking in the beauty...

And, then toasted it with some Teriyaki jerky...

On our way back...

We stopped for the flowers. DRZ yellow...

When we got back to camp I heard an echoing in my head from the ride the day before of someone asking if they had lost a blue tool pouch. My tool pouch was black, so it didn't register. Then it hit me. I checked my front fender for my Moose tube bag and it was gone. Woops, it was mine. I checked around camp and Marsha's hubby had left it with Cathy/Sopascat.

The great thing about the temporary loss was that I didn't need it that weekend, but the guy that found it did and borrowed the tube. Sure glad it came in handy...

Now I know why guys rivet theirs right through the fender to keep from losing it. Live and learn. Keith/Airborndad generously gave me one of his tubes for the ride home. What a guy!

After packing everything onto my bike, I took one last look around the grounds and enjoyed seeing the aftermath of a fun weekend...

Cathy/Sopascat and I decided to ride back home to L.A. together and enjoyed the scenery from our separate worlds on the road. Cathy had to tell some cowboys that we didn't have room for them on our bikes...

After over four hours on the bike, Cathy and I bid farewell and took separate freeways at the end.

Jack and I got home dustier than ever and couldn't be happier. Now to find other ways to get even dirtier, just add water.

Had to grab my posse for a pose before pulling the bike in the garage...

nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:25 AM   #37
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
Bravo! As always, great adventure, superb photos, luscious scenery and a well told story!

02 1800 Gold Wing - "Wing"
05 Ural Gear Up "Herbie"
07 F650GS - "Grasshopper" - Totaled July 2010
05 DR 650 - (?????) Purchased August 2010

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #38
rockjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Well done as always. If you don't mind me asking how did you get into riding.

Free Your Mind...And Your Ass Will Follow
rockjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:28 AM   #39
snowbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Wow!

Thanks for a great RR!

That little pool that you three hiked to was truly a jewel. It must have been soooo tempting to go for a dip.

rw
snowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #40
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,916

awesome rr nicole; we're glad you came and joined us!.

this is one funny story and full of rewards!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicomama
When we got back to camp I heard an echoing in my head from the ride the day before of someone asking if they had lost a blue tool pouch. My tool pouch was black, so it didn't register. Then it hit me. I checked my front fender for my Moose tube bag and it was gone. Woops, it was mine. I checked around camp and Marsha's hubby had left it with Cathy/Sopascat.

The great thing about the temporary loss was that I didn't need it that weekend, but the guy that found it did and borrowed the tube. Sure glad it came in handy...

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:01 PM   #41
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpeebles
Thanks for a great RR!
+1
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #42
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
You think her RR are good? You should meet her in person. Ill guarantee your going to love her. She has a nice bike, good stories and a awesome attitude. Nice to have met you NICOMAMA. Ben
+1

I'm just glad she didn't pull out a Canon. That would have killed it for me
Old 03-31-2010, 03:57 PM   #43
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,830
Well done, yet again, Nicole! I'm sure the kids were glad to have mom back home!
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #44
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,723
Yet another great RR!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #45
robodave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Wonderful.

You are awsome. I would love to have you as a guest blogger. http://www.iridedualsport.com

robodave is offline   Reply With Quote