Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

Oddometer: 155
[OT] Best area and/or hotel to stay in at New Orleans for foodies?

My wife and I are taking a mini-vacation in New Orleans this weekend before I go offshore in the gulf for work. I don't know a thing about New Orleans, what's the ideal area to stay in? From quick Googling, it looks like French Quarter is where it's at, especially for people who like to eat (like us). Any hotel suggestions? We would prefer the traditional hotel chains over random B&Bs. TIA
Epy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Boarider
lost

Oddometer: 112
If your looking to stay in the Quarter we've stayed at the Royal Sonesta. Its on Bourbon ST, So it can get loud but walking distance to a lot of places.
You can also stay in the Garden District (Uptown). Pretty much St.Charles St. or hop over to Magazine St. You can ride the trolley from downtown to uptown.

When we go for Saints games we stay downtown, Drury Inn and walk to the dome. A block or two from the trolley line also.

Like all towns, know where your at before going down dark streets.

And welcome to the oilfield.
Boarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Boarider
lost

You might want to try for a different weekend, this is the Southern Decadence weekend.

Google it,lol.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,061
I't's been several years but I always liked Maison Dupuy, inside room overlooking the courtyard. It's a couple of blocks off Bourbon and so not so hectic but I have heard that if there's a wedding going on in the courtyard it can get a bit noisy.

Oh, yeah ... it had free parking unlike many of the larger places.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1125Rebel View Post
You might want to try for a different weekend, this is the Southern Decadence weekend.

Google it,lol.
^^^ This. It's kind of a big deal. Now where did that damn :YMCA smiley go?

In all seriousness, this weekend there will be another 100,000 plus folks in New Orleans. It's the second busiest weekend next to Mardi Gras.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

I got hyper and booked the Holiday Inn in Metairie, figured it was close enough to everything in town...

Just looked up the Southern Decadence thing...grand...

Doesn't matter though, we have to there when we have to be there for the work part of my trip.

I'm going to have my wife duct tape my butthole shut.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epy View Post
I got hyper and booked the Holiday Inn in Metairie, figured it was close enough to everything in town...

Just looked up the Southern Decadence thing...grand...

Doesn't matter though, we have to there when we have to be there for the work part of my trip.

I'm going to have my wife duct tape my butthole shut.
That won't stop a horny drunk Cajun, not at all. I would suggest putting some pants on also. maybe you won't be so enticing. And by the way, there is no difference in a horny or drunk Cajun.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
Boarider
lost

You might be a little save that far out of the city. While out on that end try Bobby Hebert's Cajun Cannon Restaurant On Veterans Blvd.
We ate there last week, still new and the food was pretty good.

If you do go in town, I'd stay out of the Quarter.

Go uptown and try The Camellia Grill S. Carrollton, classic place. If you get a sweet tooth head over to The Creole Creamery out that way.

Just a few local spots off the top of my head.

Boarider screwed with this post 08-29-2014 at 06:08 PM
Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1125Rebel View Post
You might be a little save that far out of the city. While out on that end try Bobby Hebert's Cajun Cannon Restaurant On Veterans Blvd.
We ate there last week, still new and the food was pretty good.

If you do go in town, I'd stay out of the Quarter.

Go uptown and try The Camellia Grill S. Carrollton, classic place. If you get a sweet tooth head over to The Creole Creamery out that way.

Just a few local spots off the top of my head.
Thanks, we'll definitely hit those places. Had no idea where to eat but definitely wanted to get a good sampling of the food while there.

You said "welcome to the oilfield" a few replies back, have you been down to the ports by Galliano at all? That's where I'll be staying for the majority of the work portion of this trip, any food suggestions down that way would be awesome too.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:22 AM   #10
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epy View Post
Thanks, we'll definitely hit those places. Had no idea where to eat but definitely wanted to get a good sampling of the food while there.

You said "welcome to the oilfield" a few replies back, have you been down to the ports by Galliano at all? That's where I'll be staying for the majority of the work portion of this trip, any food suggestions down that way would be awesome too.

If you stay in Metairie go to the Morning Call for beignets and coffee (breakfast). It's on 17th near the Causeway just behind the mall. Very good and better than Cafe Dumond, in my opinion. The coffee and steamed milk is awesome. Nothing else like it.

Not much to see or do in Galiano. It is a working mans town. Most of the people there work in the oilfield or seafood industry. I always stay in Houma and drive down early the next morning to catch my bird.
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #11
Boarider
lost

I'm with Grits, once you turn off 90 and head down LA1, its not much around. I'm sure you could find a hole-n-the wall place, but nothing much.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
It you are in the French Quarter any you need at least one of those chilidogs from the street cart guys. Best I ever had.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote