User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #91
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,263
Circle T Crossfire cafe....Hamilton, TX

OK, guys...I don't like deviating from the rules but sometimes exceptions must be made BigdaveGS and I ate at Circle T tonight while researching for a rally spot...HOLY SMOKE...they made the steaks on open mesquite fire Dave and I agree these were the best steaks we had eaten ANYWHERE!!!

These were Prime Ribeyes....RATING: 9.5

Everything was awsome, the bread, the green chile grits(yep, try'em)...oh and killer onion rings too
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #92
Dragwn
Pavement Slacker

Oddometer: 31
Dan, you know that only guys who ride Rexes fill up on fries

Seein this thread makes me hungry, mmmmmm BBQ
Old 06-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #93
Dragwn
Pavement Slacker

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Aw shit, now I gonna have to venture to the dark side for some eating. God I hate Dallas traffic. I also hate Fort Worth traffic, but I can't really avoid that in the short term.
Should be a Baker's off 80 and Galloway here in Mesquite, leave the Dallas metromess traffic alone
Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #94
J-Ball
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Inmans Kitchen, Llano

INMANS KITCHEN in LLANO has some damn good grub. I'm motivated to mention them as I just read it was voted "best B-B-Q in Central Texas" They're having a big party/radio remote today to celebrate and are giving away free food and prizes.

Brisket, I'd have to say it's a solid 8. Good flavor, moist, not too dry, not too fatty. Not as salty as Coopers, just as much flavor.

Sausage. This place is the place for turkey sausage. Sounds wierd but you have to try it. Great flavor, texture, not greasy at all which is what I like about it. Also comes in jalapeno! I give it a solid 10, 'cause it's just that damn good.

The sauce...well like all of this it's very subjective. Their sauce has a little kick to it, not sweet, not hot. I think it's really, really good but I can see how others prefer a "hot" bbq sauce or thicker sauce. Theirs is kinda thin but not at all watery.

They also have smoked turkey, chicken (which kicks ass even if the o.p. dosn't think chicken should be included ). Perhaps just as important, they have several flavors of homemade bread, cheeze, and pies. Add up all that and it's really hard to beat. It's very reasonable too.

The negatives. No Ribs, No Pork Butt.

Those who know sit at Inmans and enjoy the grub as all the pirates and Miata clubs wait in line at Coopers preparing to pay a lot more $.

my .02 cents. Try it, you'll like it!

HWY 29 West in Llano, just West of Coopers on the North side of the road.

....also they sell Fains Honey which is locally made and super kick butt on some of that homemade bread....
J-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #95
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ball
INMANS KITCHEN in LLANO has some damn good grub. I'm motivated to mention them as I just read it was voted "best B-B-Q in Central Texas" They're having a big party/radio remote today to celebrate and are giving away free food and prizes.

Brisket, I'd have to say it's a solid 8. Good flavor, moist, not too dry, not too fatty. Not as salty as Coopers, just as much flavor.

Sausage. This place is the place for turkey sausage. Sounds wierd but you have to try it. Great flavor, texture, not greasy at all which is what I like about it. Also comes in jalapeno! I give it a solid 10, 'cause it's just that damn good.

The sauce...well like all of this it's very subjective. Their sauce has a little kick to it, not sweet, not hot. I think it's really, really good but I can see how others prefer a "hot" bbq sauce or thicker sauce. Theirs is kinda thin but not at all watery.

They also have smoked turkey, chicken (which kicks ass even if the o.p. dosn't think chicken should be included ). Perhaps just as important, they have several flavors of homemade bread, cheeze, and pies. Add up all that and it's really hard to beat. It's very reasonable too.

The negatives. No Ribs, No Pork Butt.

Those who know sit at Inmans and enjoy the grub as all the pirates and Miata clubs wait in line at Coopers preparing to pay a lot more $.

my .02 cents. Try it, you'll like it!

HWY 29 West in Llano, just West of Coopers on the North side of the road.

....also they sell Fains Honey which is locally made and super kick butt on some of that homemade bread....
Gonna make this a stop in the near future...looking forward to trying it and I am not big on Turkey meat, but everyone raves about it
Old 06-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #96
J-Ball
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
Gonna make this a stop in the near future...looking forward to trying it and I am not big on Turkey meat, but everyone raves about it
Not big on turkey meat either but the wifey loves it. The turkey sausage is a whole 'nuther thing, it's great. Not greasy, not dry, great texture and flavor. That stuff with some sauce and their homemade bread is good stuff.

Just had some Coopers brisket yesterday, it was good, nice and smokey, still too damn salty imo. We got a 10 pound brisket at employee prices, cost $60!!! I'd say 40% of it was fat. Cost to the general public would have been around $120!! I'm in the wrong business......
Old 06-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #97
Texas RockMan
Rock Doctor

Oddometer: 17
BBQ at the Lick

I live just down the road from the lick. It's our "local restaurant", usually our house guests have heard of the lick and want to go there. As a result we've eaten there too many times to count.

The road to the lick is scenic and fun on a bike (that’s why I live out there), the setting is pure hill country, it looks & smells like a BBQ joint. There’s a pleasant place outside in the shade to wait on your table (it is BYOB) and you will have to wait on the weekend. They have live music outside on the weekends.

Eating there is a true Tejas BBQ experience. I don’t feel qualified to rate the lick except as how it fits on my personal “I like it/don’t like” scale. I like it. The ribs are very good, the baby backs are like meat candy, the brisket is tender & juicy, the sausage is a little different, very finely ground w/ a thin casing. The sausage and the sauce are my favorites. The fruit cobbler and blue bell vanilla ice cream usually put me over the top and the wife drives home as I moan and try to find a comfortable position.

Both my sons work at the lick, the oldest, 22 yo has worked as a caterer for 5 years and he just got his 15 yo brother his first job as a busboy. The oldest told me the real story how the lick got started. It stated providing catering to the annual Camp Ben McCullough 2 week camp out across the road from the lick. The lick’s motto is “The Salt Lick, the last little of bit of the Real Texas in Austin”. It’s really funny and somewhat ironic they should say that as the original BBQ recipes used there are Hawaiian.

With all that said you just need to check it out for yourself. I’d be interested in opinion of a person with a more experienced BBQ palate than myself.

All the BEST, Steve T.
Texas RockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #98
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

This place is definitely on my sites I have heard nothing but good...gotta see how it stacks to Muellers and LOCO Coyote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas RockMan
I live just down the road from the lick. It's our "local restaurant", usually our house guests have heard of the lick and want to go there. As a result we've eaten there too many times to count.

The road to the lick is scenic and fun on a bike (that’s why I live out there), the setting is pure hill country, it looks & smells like a BBQ joint. There’s a pleasant place outside in the shade to wait on your table (it is BYOB) and you will have to wait on the weekend. They have live music outside on the weekends.

Eating there is a true Tejas BBQ experience. I don’t feel qualified to rate the lick except as how it fits on my personal “I like it/don’t like” scale. I like it. The ribs are very good, the baby backs are like meat candy, the brisket is tender & juicy, the sausage is a little different, very finely ground w/ a thin casing. The sausage and the sauce are my favorites. The fruit cobbler and blue bell vanilla ice cream usually put me over the top and the wife drives home as I moan and try to find a comfortable position.

Both my sons work at the lick, the oldest, 22 yo has worked as a caterer for 5 years and he just got his 15 yo brother his first job as a busboy. The oldest told me the real story how the lick got started. It stated providing catering to the annual Camp Ben McCullough 2 week camp out across the road from the lick. The lick’s motto is “The Salt Lick, the last little of bit of the Real Texas in Austin”. It’s really funny and somewhat ironic they should say that as the original BBQ recipes used there are Hawaiian.

With all that said you just need to check it out for yourself. I’d be interested in opinion of a person with a more experienced BBQ palate than myself.

All the BEST, Steve T.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #99
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas RockMan

All the BEST, Steve T.
I've eaten at the Salt Lick once and have been on those roads twice. We did the "pitch till you win" BBQ feast. It was excellent. We were there in the spring and the waiting area outside in the shade of those trees is the absolute best. Its so nice siting there listening to the music with the cool country breeze gently blowing, you really don't mind the substantial wait. It would have been a perfect dining experience if I'd only known about the BYOB before I got there. It was still great and everyone enjoyed it.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #100
JohnDavid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Anybody have an opinion on Spykes in Kingsland?
I have ridden past it several times, but I have yet to stop and check it out.
JohnDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #101
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
I have eaten at the Salt Lick since the early 80s and still rates as my favorite BBQ joint. A Texas Classic. Have rode on those roads since then too. I am no rookie to both...
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #102
J-Ball
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey John David, I've eaten at Spykes a number of times as its the nearest choice for bbq from where I work. It's pretty good, to me nothing spectacular but I'm really damn picky.

Pros: Ribs are good, briskets a 7 outta 10. Not bad. Good lunch specials with big portions, good deserts. Seems like they have a pretty good menu too, not just brisket and chicken ya know.

Cons: Cant stand the taste of their sauce or potato salad. Sauce tastes like cheap off the shelf with stuff added. Potato salad just has a "tang" to it that I and others don't seem care for. Also, they (like so many others) have kinda wierd hours so they're hard to catch open sometimes.

Worth the stop if your hungry for BBQ in K-Land.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #103
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Poke Joe's BBQ, Austin...

While working a deal on an RT at Lone Star BMW, got hungry and ran over to Poke Joes BBQ...Well, its ok for chain style Q. I damn sure ate worse. They have several locations around Austin, I ate at the one just off Mopac in NW Austin.

RIBS: They were ok. tender but could have used more seasoning 5.5
BRISKET: It was OK too. maybe a bit dry.... 5
SAUSAGE: fairly good sausage, did not seem commercial 6

Not a place I would search out but OK place to eat if you are nearby and need Q. Alot of different sides too. Have a really good spicy bread and butter pickles...
Old 07-10-2010, 04:48 AM   #104
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,598
Thumb

I like Poke Joes. Family atmosphere, good grub in large portions on the cheap. what's not to love?

Anyone know the place in Blanco on the north side of the square near the bowling alley? terrific. just about a 10/10
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #105
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
I like Poke Joes. Family atmosphere, good grub in large portions on the cheap. what's not to love?

Anyone know the place in Blanco on the north side of the square near the bowling alley? terrific. just about a 10/10
Get me a name...need to find a 10...