User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
evildonald OP
Shrubber

Oddometer: 69
Airhead ignition upgrades???

Hey guys, I know this has likely been addressed, but I can't seem to find it. I want to get rid of the old defective bean can on my 91 r100gs, but can't decide between the Motorradd Elektrik replacement "bean can" and the Omega ignition system. My bike is duall plugged running Dyna coils, and this makes the Omega option a bit more spendy. Did the price just go way up on the Omega?

Any wisdom is much appreciated.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,933
I want to hear some FHE on the Motorrad Electrik alternative as well.

Someone posted on another thread recently about runningone for 3 months now. I need to see if I can track it down.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
We don't have a ton of info on the Alpha yet. Here's what I ran across

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=alpha

We do have a ton of info on Rick though. He's a great guy and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of his products. There are a few bikes at the old BMW shop down the road from me, one dual plugged, and the owners are very happy with the Alpha can.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Another consideration is how this will work with your alternator. The Omega ignition system won't work with an Enduralast alternator. If you're not interested in the Enduralast then it's not a problem. Enduralast is also now making a crank mounted ignition system that fits their alternator for $330.

alternator:

ignition system:

Quote:
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Dyno developed advance curves for BMW single- and also dual-spark system and Moto Guzzi can be chosen during installation. [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]

I'm running an Enduralast alternator and I put in a points bean can ignition. If the points end up being a hassle then I'll put in the Enduralast system and keep the points can in place as an Armageddon back-up.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 03-29-2010 at 01:44 PM
Old 03-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,933
Thanks for the links Brad. I just got back from some errands to start a search around, and behold.... they are there.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

I'm supposed to be studying for a Finance exam. It gave me an excuse to avoid that for a few minutes

Old 03-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
I'm supposed to be studying for a Finance exam. It gave me an excuse to avoid that for a few minutes
That's just something you memorize and forget right after the exam. Don't let you head be full of non-airhead related stuff please.

T.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 864
Much thanks for the information guys. I have been debating buying electronic ignition for the R90/6 I just picked up. Surprised that the more i look into this, the more likely i am to keep the stock system and just learn to be an expert on it.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
I ran a Boyer solid state for at least 12 years without a glitch and it's still on my shelf awaiting reassignment. I also have an Omega to try out.

The Omega is simple, low parts count, easy to install and dual plugging is a snap. I had it on my R-90 for a while and I really liked it. Now I'm going to use it to replace the bean can points system in the new/old R-100 engine. With the Omega, you can get the timing right-on-the-money and then dial in the advance curve!

As far as I'm concerned, you're either a points guy or you're not. I'm not.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,647
Quote:
We do have a ton of info on Rick though. He's a great guy and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of his products. There are a few bikes at the old BMW shop down the road from me, one dual plugged, and the owners are very happy with the Alpha can.
Ditto. I've seen the Alpha can up close and it's more of a logical evolution of the stock bean can, not anything revolutionary. Much the same way that Rick's Omega charging system is what the stock alternator should be. With the /5, I've still got points (but did add a Dyna Points Booster last year), but if I did get a bike that needed an beancan replacement, I'd go for it.

I do have the Omega alternator on the /5, so I'm not too incurable a Luddite...

Old 03-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 890
I've got Rick's Alpha built for dual plugging on one of the G/Ss and it runs perfect from 0 to redline..and for cruising at 65 all day long.

Actually...I had the first Alpha for stock airheads about 5 months ago...but it was stolen out of my car before I could install it. If anyone happens to see one anywhere in the Bay area flea market or swap meets, please let me know....then duck while I find that #$%#%
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
pampine
Warrior

Oddometer: 147
Ignition question about my R90S

Does anyone here have experience with the Hot-Spark high energy coils? Would they give my beemer a boost? Maybe an intermediate position between electronic ignition and points?

Thanks,
Pam
pampine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:32 AM   #13
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,647
The problem with "high energy coils" is that they draw more current than a stock coil, which can cause excessive point burning. A hotter spark doesn't necessarily mean a hotter engine-- once you get past the optimum spark energy to ignite the fuel-air mixture hotter doesn't add anything.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #14
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
I fitted the latest Boyer Micro power system to my 1000 cc twin plugged G/S.

The PO had just retarded the stock ignition a few degrees and used Jap twin coils coils 2.5 ohm resistance, 1 ohm more than stock.

As you might expect it wasnt working that well.

The Boyer system includes two twin mini coils and four plug leads , and landed the lot cost a bit less than the Omega ignition system only.

I had a points bean can which I picked up for GBP6- on ebay and it fitted inside easily, the magnet plate slipping down over the bob weight pins and the pick up plate replacing the points plate. It is listed as for a points can only but I cant see why it wouldnt fit a hall sensor can.

My rev counter doesnt work , and my timing light is a bit erratic, so it was set by trial and error up my usual test hill.

I ended up with around 26 degrees advance coming in around 3500 revs, and this gets me up the hill around 25 km faster than the old system , and easier starting , smoother running and a couple of extra km/ liter as a bonus.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
evildonald OP
Shrubber

Oddometer: 69
O.K. looks like we're pretty much on the same page, Alpha can is closer to stock, Omega lets you keep a back-up system on the bike and ready for any possible break-down, with the added advantage of not running off of the worn-out timing chain...but the Enduralst alternator is tempting... I guess what I would really like to do is put the thing back to points, but I think the points bean-cans are getting pretty scarce. Anyone running a dual plug bike on points? It seems like it would be fine, mabey a little less life span...I'm definitly a breaker points guy if I don't have to spend a fortune to get it to work.

Here's another bit of insanity I've been pondering, I have a dead slash 5 motor and have given some thought to swapping out the whole front end on my r-100 for the old style one with the points and all...any body know if this is do-able? Is it imoral?

Thanks for all the help!