riding gently now

Oddometer: 3,001
thank you for posting that Stagehand...

I have to save my pennies...
Old 04-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #32
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,933
Ahwww shit! There goes the other kidney I was saving for a rainy day. Dammit!

It's a good thing (in realtive terms) that I can weld the pinholes growing in the tired OEM exhaust pieces for a while longer; and keep wiping the oil leaks off the motor for a while longer; and keep wiping the oil weepage from the front forks for a while longer; etc.

Because I can still get where I'm going with those problems. But when the plugs quit sparking I'm f**ked as Rossi puts it. I'm starting to chant the Alpha mantra.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #33
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
Didnt seem to improve the suspension or the brakes much , nor the seat -------------.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #34
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan
I think I am going to try one of these. Can anyone recommend a vendor?
I got mine from Rick (used, from his own bike, which was being used to test ignition upgrrades). He may have a couple of new boosters "in stock". When I was shopping around, I found that Ted Porter at The BeemerShop (a great shop to deal with) http://www.beemershop.com/ stocked them.

And I think that the Dyna website has a list of dealers. http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/sportbike_category.aspx
Old 04-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #35
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
The problem with "high energy coils" is that they draw more current than a stock coil, which can cause excessive point burning. A hotter spark doesn't necessarily mean a hotter engine-- once you get past the optimum spark energy to ignite the fuel-air mixture hotter doesn't add anything.
That's beautiful man.

Yeah, mine pings enough. I don't need any more heat.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #36
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
Thanks for posting that. I think i'll put that on my "to do " list for winter. Will be interesting to see if a properly set up ignition will help with the dual plugs
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #37
nowhereman
I'm lost -don't follow me

Oddometer: 387
I have the Alpha with an EnduraLast. Works really well. Very plug and play, just set the timing and go. Rick at ME is a great guy.

Now if I could only figure out a way to cheaply ship my bike from San Jose, CA. to Arlington Va., I'd be whole again.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #38
tres
Quixotic Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman
I have the Alpha with an EnduraLast. Works really well. Very plug and play, just set the timing and go. Rick at ME is a great guy.

Now if I could only figure out a way to cheaply ship my bike from San Jose, CA. to Arlington Va., I'd be whole again.
So I used uship.com a couple months ago to ship an R80RT from Phoenix to Seattle. It cost $200 door to door. There was a wide variety of experience in the bids & if I had to do it over, I'd make sure that the shipper had experience with street bikes. Even without any prior experience, our shipper got the bike up here without a scratch.

And to keep things on topic: I have EnduraLast w/ Boyer. Been very happy with both.
tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #39
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
Airhead Ignition downgrade ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
One good addition to the Airhead points ignition is a Dyna Points Booster. This is an electronic device which takes the electrical switching load off of the points and is very reliable. The points still need to be checked periodically since te rubbing block wears, causing a decrease in the point gap, but the burning of points is eliminated.
+1, I downgraded my R100G/S to points-in-beancan. Had an Omega Dual setup, but with the swap back to low compression, I de-activated the second set of plugs and went single plug with points-in-benacan, green Dynacoil and Dyna Booster (with a backup set of plugs and dualcoil readily available!):

My /5 still has an OMEGA and the points as a backup.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #40
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
I've been thinking about getting a booster. I'm running my points with no booster right now to see how long they last without one. I'm at 16 or 17,000 miles and they haven't moved much yet. I'll try to check it sometime next week to see where it's at right now.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #41
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
I drink the Motorrad Electrik Kool-Aid (and tested my battery, natch), and have great things to say about his upgrade stuff.

With the Alpha ignition and the Omega charging system, I get a smooth running, always-charging Airhead.

The bike was a little laggy when starting cold, but ever since I got the Omega, cold starts weren't a huge problem.

I ran the bike in Arizona heat, and in Georgia cold, and nary a hitch (unless I left the damned auxilary lights on all day!).
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #42
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
+1, I downgraded my R100G/S to points-in-beancan. Had an Omega Dual setup, but with the swap back to low compression, I de-activated the second set of plugs and went single plug with points-in-benacan, green Dynacoil and Dyna Booster (with a backup set of plugs and dualcoil readily available!):
Why'd you do that, Schtephen?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #43
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

All started with my '77 S hi-comp setup using more oil than I liked thanks to out-of-spec taper and ovality. I know it would happen so it was no surprise. Going back to the original CR8.2 CS setup made me reassess my motives with respect to the dual-plug setup and I came to the conclusion that the second plug doesn't add any real value anymore in that setup.

Also, I recently checked my spare parts for function and I realized how nice the bike ran with the points-in-beancan and a single set of plugs.

So, in view of my upcoming 10,000mls Alaska trip next year, I decided to go back to less electronic on the bike, less spare parts, less potential trouble. From a reliability point of view, a points ignition is way more reliable than an electronic ignition. I added the booster to get the most out of the coil. If that goes kaputt it will just be taken out of the equation.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 07-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #44
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
All started with my '77 S hi-comp setup using more oil than I liked thanks to out-of-spec taper and ovality. I know it would happen so it was no surprise. Going back to the original CR8.2 CS setup made me reassess my motives with respect to the dual-plug setup and I came to the conclusion that the second plug doesn't add any real value anymore in that setup.

Also, I recently checked my spare parts for function and I realized how nice the bike ran with the points-in-beancan and a single set of plugs.

So, in view of my upcoming 10,000mls Alaska trip next year, I decided to go back to less electronic on the bike, less spare parts, less potential trouble. From a reliability point of view, a points ignition is way more reliable than an electronic ignition. I added the booster to get the most out of the coil. If that goes kaputt it will just be taken out of the equation.
Oh, I see.

Have you sized your '77 pistons for potential use in your Nikasil barrels?
Might be the best of both worlds. Simple ignition, oil tight operation and better performance/fuel economy.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #45
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Yeah, looked at that but the "A" hi-comp pistons are not a good match to the "C" Nikasil barrels, too loose.

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net