Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #61
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyMike
+1 on all of that. Plus these bikes mechanically will last a life time, electronically not so much. I am a self professed cheap bastard and I think most if not all of Rick’s upgrades are worth the money if you ride everyday and need to rely on your bike. I have been super pleased with my new bean can and the new diode board is very impressive looking and works great. My charge light doesnt even come on at stop lights anymore. Small things like LED brake lights help as well, because what I understand is that those regular lights draw a bunch of current. My next purchase will be the Omega 450 Alternator and maybe new coils. I figure after that, the bikes good for another 40 years of riding. I have 2 old Hall cans, one is in pieces and one intact, wish I knew someone who could convert those to the points in a can version (which I have just as a back up) reasonably...
They last a life time because they need, and get, major expensive mechanical work every hundred thou or so. Throw enough money and new parts at something and it will last as long as you like. But you do get good life out of the big stuff if it's well cared for.

I had 90K on my stock electronic module before I blew it up with some mechanical clumsiness. Live and lean.

If you have a spare hall effect bean can you have a spare. Period. Set it up and it's ready to drop in if you ever need it. Carry it on long trips if yours is getting old or hasn't ever been serviced. Skip the "carry it in the saddlebags for 30 years" drama. It's bullshit.

There seems to be some odd culture cropping up around "points are better" and "points are a desirable spare". Oncw upon time if you put in a drecky Dyna or a Boyer be cause you were dual plugging or had a bent cam nose or were just sick of the hassle of points, you would carry a points plate and all the tools ans supplies on a longer trip because it was FREE, You had one left over from the electonic ignition install and buying a spare electronic was costly. You carried the old stuff and a bunch of tools and supplies to install it and figured you could limp to help if you had to. And it worked.

Nowadays, if you have a factory electronic it's hardly worth going out and buying a factory points can as a spare---especially if you have a factory electronic already. I swapped a spare points bean can to a guy for his factory hall bean can--and some other goodies, because he was only too glad to have something he thought he understood as a spare rather than a simple replacement part.. I dunno. Weird stuff.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #62
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
The advance units can gum up and stick open causing high-idle issues, easily cured with brake cleaner and silicone lube. Happens fairly often on high mile bikes.

The hall effect transistors *can* fail on and off as they thermally degrade over time. That *can* become a show stopper. A fairly rare occurance.

I'm curious to know about the guts in the replacment marketed by ME. Most everything he sells is mfg'd in Taiwan, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I've yet to see a Tiwanese electronic ignition on the market for airheads.

Look again. Every electronic ignition module I found was Tiawanese. Lots of names and numbers but only a few people making them. All on the island.

Did you ask Rick who was making his parts?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #63
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
Most Radioshacks will have it.
Dat so? What's the Radio shack part number again? If they can even get it what's the order time?

Try DigiKey or a real electronics house.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #64
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
Look again. Every electronic ignition module I found was Tiawanese. Lots of names and numbers but only a few people making them. All on the island.

Dynas, Omegas and Boyers all mfgr'd in Taiwan?

Really?

fwiw, I'd prefer the original ignition trigger can. The mechanical advance unit isn't ever going to fail permanently. It may need a little attention now and then with readily available cleaners and lubes, but it's not going to go "kaputt" like an electronic advance unit.

The hall effect transistors on either piece *may* need attention at some point.

blah blah blah...
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #65
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,416
Quote:

IIRC, his stuff is assembled in Singapore, assumably from asian components.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #66
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
If you have a spare hall effect bean can you have a spare. Period. Set it up and it's ready to drop in if you ever need it. Carry it on long trips if yours is getting old or hasn't ever been serviced. Skip the "carry it in the saddlebags for 30 years" drama. It's bullshit.

Werd.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #67
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
IIRC, his stuff is assembled in Singapore, assumably from asian components.
I haven't paid much attention in over a decade, but his rotors and charging systems are Taiwanese.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #68
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Dynas, Omegas and Boyers all mfgr'd in Taiwan?

Really?

Ignition modules---'like BMW OEM---yes. it's a HUGE market.

Unless you call the guy making them and ask or find a sticker that says "made in ROC", you don't know. Typically if you have enough volume it makes sense, USA labor costs are too high and you can' offer a competitive price. Even Hilti set up a Taiwanese factory (theirs, not a contract shop).

I ran a machine shop for awhile. The crew was Chinese. Very skilled but not long on English. The company was paying them crap and partially they didn't know better and partially they knew they didn't have the language skills to work elsewhere. But boy were they good, two men and a woman. I leaned a bit about life in China too. Lotta stories from those day.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #69
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,416
Quote:
I haven't paid much attention in over a decade, but his rotors and charging systems are Taiwanese.

Correction. Taiwan. This is the guy that makes all his stuff (and a bunch of other stuff):

http://www.repro-works.com/

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #70
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Ignition modules---'like BMW OEM---yes. it's a HUGE market.

Unless you call the guy making them and ask or find a sticker that says "made in ROC", you don't know. Typically if you have enough volume it makes sense, USA labor costs are too high and you can' offer a competitive price. Even Hilti set up a Taiwanese factory (theirs, not a contract shop).

I ran a machine shop for awhile. The crew was Chinese. Very skilled but not long on English. The company was paying them crap and partially they didn't know better and partially they knew they didn't have the language skills to work elsewhere. But boy were they good, two men and a woman. I leaned a bit about life in China too. Lotta stories from those day.
BMW oem, yes, Motorola, iirc. It was the Dynas etc. I wondered about.

I have zero qualms about Asian qaulity. Mfgr'g techniques and skilled workforce eclipsing our own in spades.

I have *issues* when products are marketed as "home grown" when, in fact, they aren't.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #71
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
Correction. Taiwan. This is the guy that makes all his stuff (and a bunch of other stuff):

http://www.repro-works.com/

Yes. That guy's the real deal.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #72
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan
Much thanks for the information guys. I have been debating buying electronic ignition for the R90/6 I just picked up. Surprised that the more i look into this, the more likely i am to keep the stock system and just learn to be an expert on it.
That can be a wise move. Even if you go electronic later the points and plate is your simple backup. Your expertise with it will serve you if you ever need it again---and electronics do wear out. You will know what you need to set it up and exactly how to do it.

BTW, Consider a monster sized Mallory condensor, they last forever. You just need to fab. a bigger bracket for it.

I compared the cost once between running points and buying a Boyer. Only allowing the Boyer a 5 year lifespan (it can be far longer) the cost vs. the points was the same. The differences were elsewhere.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #73
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 982
If I have a couple of old cans with non-working Hall Sensors in them, can they be converted to points in a can version?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #74
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyMike
If I have a couple of old cans with non-working Hall Sensors in them, can they be converted to points in a can version?
I don't believe so.

But if you want to unload them I got a couple spare new hall sensors...
Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #75
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
I don't believe so.

But if you want to unload them I got a couple spare new hall sensors...
Where did you happen to get your Halls at? Thanks for the offer, but one is in a bunch of pieces from me trying to see whats in there and the other I still might spray and clean and see if it will works ad a back up.