Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
RMBolton OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Repositioning forks in triple-tree (F658GS)

Hello all,

I have been in the process of restoring my lowered 2008 F658GS to standard height. I have replaced the stock LOW shock with an Ohlins shock, and am now looking for advice on how to properly restore the front suspension. As I understand, this is a labor-only exercise and involves the repositioning of the forks in the triple-tree. Has anyone here done this? I am fairly mechanically inclined (but have very limited motorcycle knowledge--though, swapping out the shocks couldn't have been easier), and feel that this job need not be performed by the dealer. Any step-by-step pointers by those 'in the know' would be VERY much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan
RMBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
I'm not sure I'm completely clear on exactly what your question is but:

The forks on the low and std F658GS bikes are the same (in the US models).
If your forks are in the normal position (tops flush with triple tree) you don't need to do anything.

If your forks have been raised (to lower the front) it's easy to lower the forks and raise the front back. Support the front of the bike, loosen the clamps, and just tap them back down flush. You can remove the "alignment/set wire" usually found on the left fork by taking out the upper clamp bolt. (IIRC, the clamp bolt torque is apx. 14-16 ft/lb.)

Since you upgraded and likely firmed up the shock you might also want to firm up the front. Ricor Intiminators will reduce fork dive and also provide ~1/2" additional preload so you ride higher in the stroke (use the "Advrider" coupon code for a discount).

levity screwed with this post 03-31-2010 at 01:26 PM
levity is offline   Reply With Quote