Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Lobster Grrl OP
Ground feeder

Oddometer: 2,474
F650/800GS ABS--Anybody tried it out yet?

I just bought an 09F650 Twin and it came with ABS. I'm familiar with this in my car, mostly in the winter time. Is the ABS on my bike similar to the ABS on my car? It took me a while to get used to ABS in my car, I grew up pumping the brakes on snowy roads to prevent the wheels from locking up. I've used it a few times now, in the car, with success. The car stayed in a straight line and the tires didn't lock up.

So what's this like on my bike? I haven't practiced any panic stops yet. I wanted to get some insight before I hit heavy on the brakes.

Anyone used it yet? Words of wisdom? Did it work? Is this all a big farse?

I live in the deep woods of Maine where the moose like to play in the road. So odds are that one day I'll need to stop hard and fast.

Whaddya think?

Oh, and the ABS button, I've been keeping mine on all the time. What are some instances when I would want to turn it off?

lg

Lobster Grrl screwed with this post 03-31-2010 at 01:51 PM
Lobster Grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
gpracer171
Kodak Courage

Oddometer: 358
Works

Granted, i just got it myself. I had not felt it, thouhgt my brother feels his often (not sure what ihe is doing wrong). IT does work quite well and in my experience, just like a call (though the "pulse" felt is a bit harsher than in my car). I tested it by crushing the rear brake. I figured if it did not work, a rear wheel skid is less risky and easier to control than a front wheel skid ( and likely tuck). Try out on the rear and then move on to the front.

2010 BWM F800GS
2007 Yamaha WR450

If you are not moving forward, you are falling behind...

"Harley Davidson - There is not more efficient method of converting fossil fuel to heat and noise without the by-product of power", Unknown
gpracer171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,716
It absolutely does work. I had a critical situation on Saturday where an asshole car driver decided to pull over to the LEFT side of the road to take some photos (Highway 1 heading north, looking down to Stinson Beach) without signal and of course without looking. And going 20mph just before that made me pull out and accelerate to pass. I was at around 45mph or so and hit the brakes full force. ABS kicked in and kept me upright.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
It's kicked in for me on the rear, but not the front. Pedal pulsing is quite violent compared to the car.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,106
ABS is a double edged sword.

Sometimes I feel it does a great job and makes something easier or it saves my bacon. At other times the awkward feedback in the levers raises my adrenaline level and it's a very unpleasant feeling.

Most say turn ABS off in the dirt. I agree. Although I've found in some situations, it makes things easier. Like a steep downhill that's not rugged terrain, but has a loose surface.

In general, for off road use I'd say turn it off. It's good to develop a strong feel for your brakes. ON pavement, I always leave it on.

Just remember, if you get that strange feeling in the lever and you want more stopping power... release/reapply!
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Absolutely you should use and get to know your ABS. It works great but has limitations.

The limitations are while turning or on extremely slick surfaces such as wet ice.

Also, if you don't use it, you will loose it. Brake fluid absorbs water and forms acids. Over time these acids cause corosion to build up in the abs pump and valves, occasional activation of the abs system clears these deposits and keeps it working. If you go years without using abs, it won't work the first time you need it.

P.S. I activate abs at least 10 times a day every day because I ride hard and like to. I use it over bumps, on ice, snow, wet pavement, and sometimes while turning. The only time ABS may cause loss of control is during turns or on slick ice. I have never ever needed to reapply it to increase braking.

Where ABS is NOT ideal for stopping is on loose surfaces where the quickest stop can be achieved by locking up both wheels and mounding the loose surface up in front of both wheels, gravel is the best example of this.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
itsforrest
Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer: 330
I think it's a good idea to activate the ABS on both wheels just to see what it feels like. If nothing else you won't freak out when it kicks in when you're driving. Try it on dirt or gravel where it kicks in pretty easy. You can make it work going pretty slow on loose dirt or gravel, then speed up a bit and try it again.

There's been a video posted around here a few times that shows a rider stopping on dirt with and without the ABS turned on. It shows rather dramatically how much longer it takes to stop on dirt with ABS. By all means I would turn off the ABS on dirt and gravel.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
I would Practice...

I would practice with it a little to get the feel of it. Something similar to what I did on rider training last year:

- Find yourself an open space like an empty parking lot
- Setup two cones about 4 feet apart (to make a line)
- Shut the ABS off
- Make a large loop and approach the cones (through the middle) at 30 mph
- Start your braking as you pass the cones
- try it rear only, ABS off
- front only, ABS off
- both, ABS off
- And then do it all again with the ABS on in each case

Compare your results, and use it to get a feel for it.

My 2 cents
Old 03-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedar
I would practice with it a little to get the feel of it. Something similar to what I did on rider training last year:

- Shut the ABS off
- front only, ABS off
- both, ABS off

My 2 cents
Good suggestion.

The first time I felt the ABS pulsing the rear, I thought I'd hooked a branch or something under the right footpeg. It was very disconcerting and I released the rear brake.

Now it's happened a few times, I'm used to the feeling and just continue to apply firm, increasing brake pressure and let Mr Bosch do his thing.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Thumb Great idea!!!!

experiencing it is so much better then words! Try it dry and wet as well. Bring a cone, pace out your stopping distance, and post your results.

Quote:

- Shut the ABS off
- front only, ABS off
- both, ABS off

My 2 cents
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
syaufu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Abs

Also remember you must turn it off each time you start your bike if you want it off..ie gravel..because it is automatically activated whenever you start your bike..bj
syaufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:38 AM   #12
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by syaufu
Also remember you must turn it off each time you start your bike if you want it off..ie gravel..because it is automatically activated whenever you start your bike..bj
Tell me about it! During an offroad session last year doing 80Kph I forgot to turn it off after a rest stop and during emergency braking I almost went into a washout. I don't forget to turn it off now. 1st thing I do before I put it in gear after startup when offroad.

Try it offroad first as it works real easy as others have mentioned. I demonstrated it to my wife on her F658 in the front access road to our house to show her how it works with/without it activated. Really makes a difference!

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:37 AM   #13
Lobster Grrl OP
Ground feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
ABS is a double edged sword.

Most say turn ABS off in the dirt. I agree. Although I've found in some situations, it makes things easier. Like a steep downhill that's not rugged terrain, but has a loose surface.

In general, for off road use I'd say turn it off. It's good to develop a strong feel for your brakes. ON pavement, I always leave it on.

Just remember, if you get that strange feeling in the lever and you want more stopping power... release/reapply!
Thanks for the advice. Will keep that in mind. I ride a lot of dirt on my smaller bike. Haven't had this one off the the pavement yet, maybe next week.

lg
Old 04-01-2010, 04:42 AM   #14
Lobster Grrl OP
Ground feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsforrest

There's been a video posted around here a few times that shows a rider stopping on dirt with and without the ABS turned on. It shows rather dramatically how much longer it takes to stop on dirt with ABS. By all means I would turn off the ABS on dirt and gravel.
If anyone knows where to access this or any video on the ABS please post a link. I'll be trying this out by myself and would like to know what I'm getting into beforehand.

Thx,lg
Old 04-01-2010, 04:45 AM   #15
Lobster Grrl OP
Ground feeder

Quote:

- Shut the ABS off
- front only, ABS off
- both, ABS off

My 2 cents
Thanks. This what I am planning on trying as soon as it stops raining and the pavement dries out.