Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #31
skamikazee
Noviço

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka
I've got quite different experience(s) to yours. Granted not on the F800GS but the breaks far outperform the stickiness of any tire combination you can mount.
Granted, but you also might agree, that in potencial, a bike brakes better if ABS does not intervein, specialy, as i notice on this bike, the ABS kicks in to fast.

I'm only refering to badly paved tarmac roads, as i believe ABS does a great job on a good road.

I did try and make an objective experiment of braking with/without ABS, and realized that on rough roads, i brake far better with ABS off, and i'm by no means a racing driver. Probably experience from downhill cycling.
Offcorse i can't put the "scare" factor in this comparisson, but in day to day use, i've had to many close calls witch i only managed to avoid colision thanks to engine braking!

As i described, on rough bumpy roads, sometimes by just aplying the slightest pressure to front brakes, it won't let you brake, nor decelerate, completely out off control!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka
As to offroad with ABS - yes, you should switch it off. That's why the BMW GS bikes have this handy switch allowing it to be disabled.
Exept you have to turn it off EVERY TIME you turn your engine goes off.
It took a while to get used to that, it took some scary moment's to get used to that. Now i don't make that mistake that often.

I don't want to give the impression that i'm all against ABS, or that i'm just "flaming", i just think that in this case, it doesn't work all that well in this bike, at least that's my opinion, everyone is entitled to one.

Cheers
Old 04-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #32
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamikazee
I don't like it!

ABS doesn't process well irregular surfaces, once i was doing a large fast turn, and found an accident with two stoped cars almost bloking the road, the tarmac was in bad shape and the ABS wouldn't let me brake, i was lucky i had enough distance to brake.

It hapen's all the time on bumpy roads, even in light braking i feel it working when it clearly shouldn't. Way to soon
I even tested braking at the same speed on some roads on the same place, and i can brake MUCH harder with no traction loss without ABS.
I'm much hapier and relaxed when i have the ABS off.

I'm amazed to see people here who even consider braking using ABS while offroading, specialy downhill!

How i wish i hadn't bought ABS for this bike....

Cheers
If your ABS was active, it's because your tyres were slipping. If you'd not had ABS in these circumstances, you would have locked up. It's scenarios like this that are exactly what ABS is for!

ABS doesn't make the tyres any more or less grippy. If you brake on a sealed road, and the ABS cuts in, then you braked too hard for the available traction. Blaming your bike for the subsequent untidy riding is like a carpenter blaming his tools for a bad job. (Comments apply to road only.)