User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #31
DeeCee
Silver Surfer

Oddometer: 185
My BB Storm has GPS hardware, but I can attest from using the Instamapper program that there have been many times that I cannot get a fix on my position, this has at every time coincided with my lack of cell reception. Three notable instances were on I-70 in West Kansas, a Trail above the Taos Ski basin, and on NM 60 near the VLA. According to the later reviewed instamapper log, those pings never got recorded or posted while I had no reception. The push-pins only appeared on the map in areas where the signal could be sent off. There have been lots of rides here in CO where my Insatmapper log has large holes in the route.

Recently I had trouble getting a fix using Google Maps near Capistrano Beach, CA on I-5 where I had rather poor cell reception.

So however it works, my frustration remains the same. There are several places where the instamapper/google maps can't find me, somewhat defeating the purpose of running that app on my phone.

All in all, I still use it and am satisfied with the price I paid for the app (free) but using it as a GPS or SPOT is IMO, somewhat unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse
There's no need to give them the login info. You can republish the map on a different website without anyone needing login info.

Tracks or current location is a a feature you can set when republishing the code for the map to be public. You can set up to 50 points to be published. It's at the bottom of the page where you create the code for the map.
I'll have to check that out. thanks It's currently linked to an otherwise defunct Facebook page but as of now it only publishes my most current ping. I'd love to have the last 50 points available as well.
DeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #32
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee
Recently I had trouble getting a fix using Google Maps near Capistrano Beach, CA on I-5 where I had rather poor cell reception.
Sounds like your BB doesn't have true GPS or you have a setting wrong.

My phones GPS works fine even if I don't have cell coverage.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #33
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,466
I just figured out that Google Latitude works with Spotwalla, so you can set up a map with your track shown. I've been playing with it for a day or so, and it seems to work pretty well.

http://spotwalla.com/index.php

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #34
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
try looking into Fire Eagle from Yahoo.net. there are a bunch of FREE programs to do these types of things for all types of phones.
I use the Yofe program on Fire Eagle, connected to all sorts of things, that don't seem to update unless you do it manually (including Google Latitude), that is why I will rely on the SPOT instead.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:03 AM   #35
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,466
For comparison, here is the same trip tracked with the SPOT 2 and my phone with Google Latitude.

Trip begins 9am CDT June 11, 2010 and ends midnight the same day. The maps above may not always show data.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #36
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
I just installed 'Trackr' (http://www.trackr.eu/) on my HTC Imagio, since I couldn't get Instamapper working. So far it seems to work pretty well. Fairly simple with some options I haven't explored yet. They currently support Windows Mobile, BB, and Java enabled phones, and are working on an Iphone version.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:42 AM   #37
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMac
I just installed 'Trackr' (http://www.trackr.eu/) on my HTC Imagio, since I couldn't get Instamapper working. So far it seems to work pretty well. Fairly simple with some options I haven't explored yet. They currently support Windows Mobile, BB, and Java enabled phones, and are working on an Iphone version.
Have you looked into Geoterrestrial?
I run the tracking at various rates. You can let it run slowly 100% of the time in the background and not effect battery life.
It also lets you geotag photos and upload them.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #38
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig
Have you looked into Geoterrestrial?
I run the tracking at various rates. You can let it run slowly 100% of the time in the background and not effect battery life.
It also lets you geotag photos and upload them.
Yes, I have that also! Pretty cool program as well. It seems Trackr is a little less intensive running in the background along with other apps. It will also show your track on the web map, not just your current location, which I think is what Geoterrestrial does (unless I've missed something)..

I do like the other features of Geoterrestrial however, especially the option to geo-tag photos!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #39
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMac
Yes, I have that also! Pretty cool program as well. It seems Trackr is a little less intensive running in the background along with other apps. It will also show your track on the web map, not just your current location, which I think is what Geoterrestrial does (unless I've missed something)..

I do like the other features of Geoterrestrial however, especially the option to geo-tag photos!
I monitored battery drain with and without Geoterrestrial (GPSToday) running. In the default update rate setting there was no measureable additional drain. (obviously it is there, just not measureable). Running the GPS at the max rate obviously does suck the battery, but you can trim back the update rate, or use the default, let it run 24/7, and never know it.

It will show your current location plus a track log if you want. It also keeps a history. So if I decide that I want a track of a trip that I took 2 months ago that I did not create a track for, I can go online, indicate what start and end times I want, then generate a track from that.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #40
Vic-klr
TEETET Aventuras T el T

Oddometer: 252
hi all, I use nokia 6210 navigator s60 3edition, and the app I like to use is nokia sport tracker, I down load trackr! from here http://www.trackr.eu and is cool app similar to sport tracker whit live shearing, makes tracks saves work outs, I gonna try trackr this sunday, thank for the info on the trackr.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:33 AM   #41
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
Cool if you have coverage.

I think this is a fantastic idea as long as you have cell phone coverage. Unfortunately, there are too many times in less populated areas where coverage is bad. Heck, there are portions of Oregon I rode through where I had no cell coverage for several hours.

I'd love to cram as many functions into my cell phone as possible. At $150/year for the coverage AND rea-time tracking, looks like SPOT is hard to beat.

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #42
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
So what does SPOT have that Phones don't?

I guess the SPOT devices have some hardware in them and not special software that allows them to communicate with these 'communications satellites' that SPOT talks about in their literature...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosaint View Post
I think this is a fantastic idea as long as you have cell phone coverage. Unfortunately, there are too many times in less populated areas where coverage is bad. Heck, there are portions of Oregon I rode through where I had no cell coverage for several hours.

I'd love to cram as many functions into my cell phone as possible. At $150/year for the coverage AND rea-time tracking, looks like SPOT is hard to beat.

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #43
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Smartphone App available similar to Spot?

I also posted this in the "Laying Tracks" section, but thought I'd throw it out here as well.

Does anyone know of an Android app that would operate similar to a Spot tracking device?

I would like to simply hit a button on my phone to quickly send a txt message to my wife giving her my location and also letting her know I haven't crashed and fine.

An email notice would be ok, but a txt would be best.

Most apps. I've seen are based on tracking a cheating spouse or tracking sexual offenders in the area....

Any ideas or suggestions?
gtackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #44
Tail Gunner
Life is Good !!!

Oddometer: 1,543
One thing to consider is that you need cell phone service to send a email/text. I know a lot of my riding has no or very poor cell service. That is what makes SPOT good.
06 BMW RTP - BLACK & WHITE
Meet & Greet Thursdays 6pm
Tail Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #45
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Gunner View Post
One thing to consider is that you need cell phone service to send a email/text. I know a lot of my riding has no or very poor cell service. That is what makes SPOT good.
Yup. That's where a cell comes up short. Besides, Ya gotta run fast and hard to crash that bad Tackett. I think you'll be fine....

oPAULo is online now   Reply With Quote