User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
sealteam4 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
F800GS 2010 Gearbox problems?

Has anyone had any problems with their f800gs gearbox. mine failed today. it got stock in first gear and it wont shift. I'll bring my bike to the dealership on saturday and see what they say.
sealteam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,812
Mine shifts like butta...

Moved to Beasts.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Mine shifts like butta...
Ditto. The smooth-as-butta transmission one thing that convinced me to buy the bike.

Of course, so far I have only 5K miles so maybe I can hope for catastrophic failure. It'll give me something to bitch abut the bike. I hate this bike.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
I've heard of a couple others failing, but I get the impression that it's very, vry rare.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
It only happens to one post noobs on April 1st

But if it is real. You are among a very rare few that have issues. May be a factory assembly issue. Should be covered under warranty.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
It only happens to one post noobs on April 1st

But if it is real. You are among a very rare few that have issues. May be a factory assembly issue. Should be covered under warranty.
I'll be glad when it's tomorrow.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteam4
Has anyone had any problems with their f800gs gearbox. mine failed today. it got stock in first gear and it wont shift. I'll bring my bike to the dealership on saturday and see what they say.
Barring April Foolishness,

Did you drop it, even gently, on the shift lever, or done anything else that might have tweaked it?

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
sealteam4 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
Barring April Foolishness,

Did you drop it, even gently, on the shift lever, or done anything else that might have tweaked it?
No I didn't, They told me at the dealership that it could be a spring that broke but whatever it is it shouldn't be happening the bike only has 1100 miles.
sealteam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
My tranny still continues to amaze me how sweet it shifts, even after 23,000 miles. And I run Mobil 1 15-50, too (the only one from Mobil 1 that doesn't have friction modifiers in it!
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
My tranny still continues to amaze me how sweet it shifts, even after 23,000 miles. And I run Mobil 1 15-50, too (the only one from Mobil 1 that doesn't have friction modifiers in it!
You're running the car Mobil-1 stuff??? EEEK

I'd run the Mobil-1 motorcycle stuff:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...4T_10W-40.aspx

All arguments as to why it doesn't matter aside.... IMHO, I just wouldn't run any car oil in a motorcycle. It's just not designed for it.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
Tradey
RTW Traveller

Oddometer: 226
Bmw Customer Service - 'sux'

My F800GS is 10 weeks old and I have ridden 20,000km (12,000 miles) on my North American holiday so far http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520737

In 5th gear an oscillating on/off noise/vibration/drone occurs at all RPM and has become an annoying and unbearable 'nuisance'.

I detoured and returned the bike to the selling dealer, Sierra BMW in Reno Nevada. The grief I endured as an Australian tourist to try and buy a BMW bike in the first place was beyond comprehension and now having a mechanical issue that the dealer is reluctant and slow to pursue is just downright unbelievable.

I already own an F800GS back in Sydney which has been faultless. I was led to believe that USA customer service was supposed to be superior to any other western country but I am now of the opinion after reading and listening to many other riders with similar stories of 'grief' that BMW USA 'Customer Service' rates very poorly.

It has taken the dealer one week to perform the 20,000km service and to finally and reluctantly acknowledge the gearbox problem. They are awaiting a response from BMW USA on what to do next and have indicated if could take at least another 2 weeks for any resolution.

As a traveller in a foreign country who is now 'off the road' for an indefinate period and behind in my travel plans, you would think I am fortunate in at least this has happened in a first world country. But I know for a fact I would be been better treated in other countries like Chile, Argentina, Columbia or Brazil where customer service from BMW dealers runs rings around the 'customer service' in the USA.

I have already made the decision to return to Japanese bikes for my next motorcycle purchase after 30 years of reliable trouble free motoring riding them.

I cannot and will not tolerate the 'BMW BULLSHIT' any longer.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
Well hey stopped carrying the Gold Cap 15W50 M1 Synth. Non-energy conserving. Grey Cap is just as good though. And of course the M1 T4....

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
outpostbabu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradey
It has taken the dealer one week to perform the 20,000km service and to finally and reluctantly acknowledge the gearbox problem. They are awaiting a response from BMW USA on what to do next and have indicated if could take at least another 2 weeks for any resolution.
I hear ya! This would be my worst fear, being far from home on a carefully planned trip and having a new, supposedly reliable, BMW failing on me. I'm having enough trouble with it now in the city I live in, I can't imagine if it had taken so long outside the country... I had intended to go to Mexico around September but after my problems with BMW NA and the inordinate amount of time its taken to resolve them, I don't/won't trust the bike for a long long while.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #14
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradey
I cannot and will not tolerate the 'BMW BULLSHIT' any longer.
I'm sorry for your troubles, but I'd like to see how things would be handled if I came to Australia, attempted to buy/register a bike, and then came in with a vibration problem demanding that it be fixed on a short schedule. I have a feeling your difficulties have a lot more to do with the foreign traveler situation (and the general bureaucracy associated with the American state-centric vehicle titling/registration/insurance system) than it does with how BMW customer service works in different countries.

And are you really having them tear into a gearbox for a "oscillating on/off noise/vibration/drone" problem? Obviously, we can't judge the severity from the internet, but put up with a lot of noise/vibration nuisance before I'd park a bike and interrupt a vacation. And I've almost never seen a major gearbox problem with any bike not require considerable down time and some negotiation between the dealer and importer. Major repairs require major paperwork and due diligence.

Regardless, best of luck getting it sorted.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
bikerfish1100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
mine just did the first gear lockup today.
what was the resolution on the other gearboxes that parked themselves in #1??

will get it tothe dealer on Tuesday- here's hoping for a loaner bike. maybe a ss1kr??

Life is tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid.- John Wayne

2009 F800GS
2001 R1100S
bikerfish1100 is offline   Reply With Quote