User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2010, 09:44 AM   #16
Travlr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Eek here is my problem with the gearbox

or maybe it is the wife's driving! jury still out.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605434
Travlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradey
My F800GS is 10 weeks old and I have ridden 20,000km (12,000 miles) on my North American holiday so far http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520737

As a traveller in a foreign country who is now 'off the road' for an indefinate period and behind in my travel plans, you would think I am fortunate in at least this has happened in a first world country.

I have already made the decision to return to Japanese bikes for my next motorcycle purchase after 30 years of reliable trouble free motoring riding them.

I cannot and will not tolerate the 'BMW BULLSHIT' any longer.
We are not actually a first world country any more.
We are merely a free enterprise country, where we are free to give bad, slow service and then charge you through the nose.
Honest dealers are becoming rarer and probably don't make as much as the fleecers.

Does the dealer know the severity of your internal gremlins?
I mean, is it obvious?

You should at least get a loaner to continue regional touring while they address your bike.
Especially as a visitor from outside our country.

I hope for the best of luck to you.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
bikerfish1100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Mine locked up on Sunday. Got it to the dealer on Tuesday. Diagnosed as a bent gear selector shaft. Replaced under warranty, back in my hands on Thursday. Cost to me was $10 for overnight shipping, which allowed me to keep the Triumph Tiger 1050 they had given me as a loaner. I used about $7 of their gas- well worth it, overall. If i had gone with std shipping, they would have recalled the loaner bike.
No clear/known etiology. And no, i had not dropped it on the shifter.

Life is tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid.- John Wayne

2009 F800GS
2001 R1100S
bikerfish1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #19
bartski
n00b

Oddometer: 1
FGOOGS gearbox

My 2010 800GS has a clunky metallic downshift from 4th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st. Esp nuetral to first. Started at 3000km and not getting any better. The agents say its normal and are not interested. They did replace the clutch under warranty, this made no difference. I put Castrol R1 synthetic oil in. Bike runs more smoothly at high speed, but shifting the same. Did have my chain overtightened by the tyre guys and rode 2 up with a tight chain for a few hundred kms offroad. Convinced this is when the problem started. All expertts so far say not possible.

This is my second 800 and have ridden plenty others, I hate my gearbox.

Help!! Or its a Triumph XC for me..
bartski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #20
Evedrake
Evedrake

Oddometer: 21
F800GS stuck in 4th gear, 3rd gear, 2nd gear and not starting

bike is a 2009 with 80,100 miles. This has been an issue for over 18 k miles. The mechanic failed to replicate it and suggested it was operator error. Hum I have been riding longer then the 32 year old mech has been on this earth. I have over 1 million miles on motorcycles and suddenly I can not shift a bike below 4th gear? It became progressivly worse. To add to the issue the bike would fail to start in any gear but neutral with the side stand up and the clutch in. They blamed this on the clutch handle "suddenly" not depressing enough due to the foam grip cover which has been on the bike for over 75k miles. To make a long story short after being BLOWN OFF by the dealer ship that nothing was wrong I was stranded in BF Texas and my vacation was all F'ed up. The bike 1st failed to shift below 2nd gear and the bike would not start. After 35 minutes of adjusting anything to do with the handle and cable I was able to at least start the bike and ride it in 2nd gear - failed to shift into any other gear. I finally got a truck and loaded it and dumped it off at the dealership and told them to please fix the damn thing.

I have seen two major failed F650 GS ( 2 cly) transmissions. I have not paid much attention to F800GS transmission issues until over 18K and have seen a few other post on other venues. I have an 800ST which has a killer fuel pump problem so I have spent more time dealing with that as it is a life threatening failure and the down shift issue not so much unless you are stranded in the 118 degree heat of the desert southwest and forced to wait hours in the heat while someone comes to your aid

so I am very interested in what they find when they finally figure out what is wrong.
Evedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #21
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I think I remember forum discussions about shifting problems early on. It was typically caused by a slightly bent shift rod after a fall and I think there's even aftermarket parts to strengthen the area. It's been a few years though and I can't remember the details...

OK, went back and looked and here's one example:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=shift+damaged
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote