Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Kerstin OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
bike with sidecar Thailand

Hi guys,

does anyone what kind of bikes with a sidecar are available in Thailand? If possible not more than 3.500 USD.
Thanks.

Kerstin
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Craypot
wherethephuquerwee

Oddometer: 786
these are the only bikes with sidecars sold new in Thailand. Made in Thailand by Tiger Motor Company.

BTW. there is no law allowing sidecars or bike trailers in Thailand. They are kind of illegal.

“Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer”
Henry Lawson

Craypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,600
Thats kind of a trick question. There are 1000's of "side car rigs" driving around... it's just .. well.... most of them are built by the local shady tree mechanic. I've seen lots of 150 cc scooters (honda click etc..) that have a side car type cage welded onto the side and they can be had for very little money. A used one will cost you around 3,000 US but I have no idea how legal they are. They are used as portable fruit\ food stands and if you look hard enough you might even get one with a fully functioning gas grill\ wok combo. ( nope not joking).

They do make the Kawasaki ER6N (650) in Thailand and you might be able to get a good deal on one of those then ask around to find one of the shady tree bubbas to make you something.
canoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
I like the ones they make where they chop off the back of the bike right behind the seat and put two wheels out back with a sun shade. I always thought it would be fun to travel with one of those.

Hey Kerstin, check this out: http://www.tuktotheroad.co.uk/

Pete
Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
deaninkl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Hi Kerstin,

I have done some checking for you, no sidecar outfits are sold legally in Thailand, so papers for such would not be available. The small bikes you see with sidecars attached have paperwork reflecting the bike only.

Large bakes in Thailand are very expensive, way out of your US$3,500 budget.

Urals and Chang jiang's are not solt in Thailand.

Sorry not very helpful but these are the facts.

If you really want to do this it may be possible to buy the outfit in Europe/Australia and import it, then ride it back. But you are looking at big money.

Also take into account that you can't get from SE Asia to India or Nepal, this means air fright, side car outfit will be expensive to do this.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
thaicbr
Biking in Thailand

Oddometer: 2
tiger

The little Tiger Retro sidecar is in fact FULLY legal in Thailand with a green book/registration stating it is a sidecar. Maybe not exactly what the OP was looking for but then some times in Thailand ya gotta make do.
Allan
thaicbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaninkl
Hi Kerstin,

I have done some checking for you, no sidecar outfits are sold legally in Thailand, so papers for such would not be available.
Sorry mate, you're wrong on that one- the new Tiger Retro with sidecar is 100% legal and legit.

I bought one a couple of months ago for running local errands and it's a fun little scoot and cost 50,300 Baht with tax, insurance and registration included. (That's about US$1600)

Saw it at the Bangkok Motor Show and decided it would be damn cute and economical for my staff to run orders to the post office. My son loved it as well-

Rear view:

It's super easy to order a Tiger Retro 110 with Sidecar.

I went to the Tiger-Sachs website http://www.tigersachsclub.com and filled out the online order form.

Received a phone call the next day that the bike was in stock and ready to ship.

Filled in another order form (a bit redundant but oh well) and transferred the payment and the bike was delivered to my office the following day!

How is that for efficiency?! Tiger took care of all the paperwork and registration too- awesome!

I've never bought a vehicle on the internet like this and must say it's amazingly simple and efficient.

Never seen one of these on the road yet here in Thailand so no doubt it turns some heads.

Tiger delivered my Tiger in a Tiger

Gave me a quick run down on the bike- as you can imagine it's pretty simple. My son jumped right in and was like, COME ON DAD- TAKE ME FOR A RIDE NOW!

Took it for a quick spin around the parking lot and well, gee, having never ridden a bike with sidecar before I have to say it does take a little getting used to!

And someone please explain to me what that front brake is all about?! I've never seen such a contraption- when you get on the front brake instead of fork dive you get with normal bikes the Tiger Retro actually jumps UP at the front- it's the weirdest feeling and I'll have to ride it some more to figure it out. Warning to anyone else who may get one of these- you pretty much lose all turning ability when you get on the front brake. The front end comes up and straightens out and it's almost impossible to get the bike to turn if you are heavy on the front brake.

Anyway- this thing isn't meant to go fast and the rear brake is linked to the sidecar wheel as well so unlike regular motorcycles the rear brake is actually quite effective as it's braking 2 wheels.

Apparently the Tiger Retro tastes good too

A bit off topic- I wasn't actually expecting Tiger to deliver the bike so quickly and I bought it for my staff to run orders to the post office. I told them I'd get them the Tiger if they got their drivers licenses. Cuz, like typical Isaan girls they've been riding scoots for years but never bothered with a license.

So while I'm waiting at the office for the Retro to show up they go to get their licenses and guess what- they both FAILED the test!

Oh- one more thing - everyone who's seen this bike has been asking about it- There's something about this unusual contraption that just seems to make people smile and laugh. I did some driving around my Moo Baan and all the parents and kids and security guards were smiling and pointing at the farang on his retro scooter and his son in the flashy sidecar. The sidecar is pretty roomy (for my 3 year old) - but I think tall folks will have a hard time sitting in it. (Actually I haven't tried sitting in it yet...)

Well, my worker bees will make another attempt for their licenses on Monday- wish us luck!

Happy Trails,

Tony on a Tiger
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
mbox
Tiger Biker

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaicbr
The little Tiger Retro sidecar is in fact FULLY legal in Thailand with a green book/registration stating it is a sidecar. Maybe not exactly what the OP was looking for but then some times in Thailand ya gotta make do.
Allan
Hi there,

Allan and Tonybkk are 100% right the Tiger Retro w/sidecar is the only Bike with legal sidecar in Thailand . The reason how they can make it legal is the fact that a manufacturer has to initially register it as suchwith the department of Land Transportation ....noone but Tiger Motors did bother to do that.

Tonybkk i hope you have pleasurable rides on the bike and hope your "bees" get the drivers licence soon too.

Would like to inform that the Tiger Retro as other Tiger & sachs Bikes can be bought online in thailand at this shop:http://www.tigersachsclub.com/tigersachsshop.html

This website is run by wife & myself and sales are done in direct Contact with Tiger/Sachs Motors Thailand .

happy trails,

mbox

mbox screwed with this post 06-03-2010 at 03:53 AM
mbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
AZOULAY
n00b

Oddometer: 2
hi Friends,

Besides the 1200 GSA, I bought one set of this wonderfull little Tiger with sidecar, perfect, delivered well in time, serious people to recommand and as Tony said for less than 1200 (50.000 TBH)...

Funny to commute from beach to house with kids.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #10
mbox
Tiger Biker

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZOULAY
hi Friends,

Besides the 1200 GSA, I bought one set of this wonderfull little Tiger with sidecar, perfect, delivered well in time, serious people to recommand and as Tony said for less than 1200 (50.000 TBH)...

Funny to commute from beach to house with kids.
Congrats to your retro w/sidecar...what color did you go for and maybe post some pics...i love the way they look

mbox
Old 09-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
karmatourer
STD free

Oddometer: 2,269
As mentioned earlier,the er6n is made locally and runs 225k baht,or roughly USD 7500,about USD 3k more than in the States-go figure! festering 3rd world shitehole,but I digress!