User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM   #1
GetYourOwn OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Where are all the 80 & 125cc bikes

I am looking to get a smaller bike for my 12 year old who has never ridden before but has shown an interest in trying. There is no way I am going to drop 4k on a bike for him to ride but I can't even find one to decide whether it is priced too high or not. I have looked at the Ryp site, the gg site and the ttc site and all the local trials websites that I can find but I have seen none for sale. are they that popular or did they not make very many?
GetYourOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM   #2
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,571
It is a small market that is in a negative feedback loop with the cultural behavior and expectations of the adults of the US market.

The adults are mostly cheap, trials being down the line from essential expenditures, and when new bikes are bought, it's for the adults, who in this culture prefer larger displacement. The kids often get what most available in the used bike market... the hand-me-down adult bikes. The few smaller-displacement bikes that are bought are often retained or snapped up quickly when they do pop up on the market.

Consider your comment on how you won't "drop $4k" on a kids bike, even though that's not that much for what you are getting. That make you, my friend, part of the problem! :-)

I recently bought a $4k Beta Evo 80 Senior (full-size wheels) for my wife. I noticed how though some parts are cheaper (example: made of steel instead of aluminum), most of the parts are just the same as the full-size bike parts. The bike is thus a very cheap expression of a mostly full-size bike!

I've had a lot of fun on this 80. It is very good for precision creeping! I could see a robust adult class on 80s, because they and their limitations are fun. But the adults aren't buying enough of them so it's no joy.

The 80 has its problems. It should be 100 to 125cc because sometimes it can sustain 3rd gear on hills. It also has a very irritating light-switch clutch (working on that). But overall I could compete on this thing and do fairly well. It'd knock me down a few places, because you can run out of beans on bigger stuff, but in terms of turns and tight stuff the smaller bikes feel superior.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM   #3
GetYourOwn OP
Studly Adventurer

I kind of get what you are saying but you bought a 2014 80cc trials bike for 4k which as far as trials bikes go is pretty top of the line.. What I am looking for is a 00-04 which if the adult bikes are any indication of value should be between 1800 and 2300 range but I just can't find them. Maybe they didn't make smaller bikes back then. I did get a tip on where one may be located but it is pretty far away so I don't know if the logisitcs will work out.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM   #4
cnybetass
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
When my son was younger he started on the ty80 .Out grew it pretty quick so remembered a buddy had a fantic 80 was full size wheels smaller frame.This was a great little machine.I do not think many where imported as have maybe seen one other.He went on to win the novice class for the year in the district we rode at the time.Might want to keep eye out for something like that.JR
cnybetass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #5
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,456
you can buy brand new electric bikes for kids, I assume your wanting ones for young ones, up to about 80 to 100?lbs, lookup OSET. I think a new bike from dealer is only about $1400 or there abouts, ship cheap? They sell 3 sizes, seen 4 year olds riding the smaller wheeled ones, and seen bigger trails riders ride a 20 inch wheeled one... biggest drawback of course is run time as you get bigger.

after they have bike time, most 12 year olds I have known, adapt to 125's fairly quick, especially with our low seat height... and being as light as they are, if they are tall and strong enough. Oh and about the or before I was 10, the test of whether the bike was too big for me was if I could pick the bike up laying on side on the ground (aka get back on the bike, if we fell over)... the bikes today weigh NOTHING compared to my Trailhopper or honda trail 70's... I started on at 5 years old.

I had the 1975 montessa 123 sized bike by the time I was 12, maybe before then, and I could ride dad's 57 350 bultaco sherpa-t, just about as well, just hard to start for my size...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #6
GetYourOwn OP
Studly Adventurer

If I could find a used Oset 48 that might be a good place to start new they are 2800.00 and I imagine he would move on to the 125 pretty quickly so it may be better just to start him on the 125. He turns 13 in July and this is going to be his present so I have some time to look.

GetYourOwn screwed with this post Yesterday at 05:16 PM
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM   #7
jonnyc21
Trials Ninja

Oddometer: 1,067
You can find the older full size 80s from time to time, I was able to get an 06 Beta REV 80 for my daughter and it has been a great bike for her. That was almost 3 years ago by now and I have seen one other mid 2000's full size and one junior 80 sense then.

Can you find one in your time frame? Maybe not but possibly... Good luck.
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM   #8
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYourOwn View Post
If I could find a used Oset 48 that might be a good place to start new they are 2800.00 and I imagine he would move on to the 125 pretty quickly so it may be better just to start him on the 125. He turns 13 in July and this is going to be his present so I have some time to look.
The Oset is fine for a very little kid. Buy a Ty 80 as it can do more than your kid could ever do and more than 38% of the riders on this forum. Cheap durable, and you will not loose any dough. The trouble with electrics is after a couple hours they are dead, while the kids on gassers are riding till sundown. In our club we have not had a single kid yet go from the electrics to gas powered bikes very successfully. They just learn the wrong techniques.