User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #211
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 869
Question Coolant/antifreeze?

Well I did myself in the other weekend by getting somthing stuck in the fan and didn't know tell I shorted out the fan motor.

Got the parts and put everything back together tonight but had to drain the coolant to do it. Not sure what to put back in the bike... Previous owner had some kind of blue-ish coolant in there I have not seen before.

Recommendations or at least a brand to match what is in there now?

I am in withdrawals and need my fix... Help!!!

Thanks in advance!
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #212
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
Well I did myself in the other weekend by getting somthing stuck in the fan and didn't know tell I shorted out the fan motor.

Got the parts and put everything back together tonight but had to drain the coolant to do it. Not sure what to put back in the bike... Previous owner had some kind of blue-ish coolant in there I have not seen before.

Recommendations or at least a brand to match what is in there now?

I am in withdrawals and need my fix... Help!!!

Thanks in advance!
Ask Honda?

all you need is 50/50 mix that is formulated for alum engines, from a bike shop I would suggest. I also use a little bit of "racing" water conditioner (used to be called something like "water wetter"). unknown what it is now, though, never paid attention to the bottle.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #213
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
It sounds like Engine Ice, which is a propylene glycol based coolant. It would be best to ask the former owner if possible. There are waterless coolants available (Evans) that do not mix with water, so you do need to be carefull.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #214
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Sounding like maybe good to just flush and refill as I don't have the former owners contact info any more. Was trying to avoid that but guess not this time.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #215
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 196
Subaru coolant is blue and designed for aluminum motors, since I had some on hand that is what I used this summer to refill mine, maybe that's what the previous owner did as well.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #216
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

I was able to flush and put in new, things are back up and running, and the test run was a go!

The addiction continues.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #217
KrAzyOSUcOwBoY
kRaZy

Oddometer: 112
Pink wire mod?

Over at TC there is a discussion about intake derestriction and pink wire (ground) mod. I have an 05 that was bought new here in the US. Not sure if this is a viable mod or if it may have been done by the dealer or PO. Anyone here familiar with this mod and could provide any detail?
KrAzyOSUcOwBoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #218
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrAzyOSUcOwBoY View Post
Over at TC there is a discussion about intake derestriction and pink wire (ground) mod. I have an 05 that was bought new here in the US. Not sure if this is a viable mod or if it may have been done by the dealer or PO. Anyone here familiar with this mod and could provide any detail?
KrAzy's request has to do with specifically HOW the mods are done. I went to the TC discussion, but the detail is garbled and incomplete.

Though no 4RT expert, I can add a bit on this particular bike, as I've had ridden it many times and been involved in the setup.

The bike is a really nice `05. It starts and runs well. It doesn't break traction as easily in dry conditions as a de restricted 2005 I rode. It is also not obnoxiously loud like a de restricted 2005, so I assume the exhaust is still restricted. I don't know if the other mods were done, but I suspect not.

I sometimes ride with KrAzy around my NM cabin, where staying off the audio 'radar' is a positive thing. I have some interest in his being a quieter, rather than a louder, 4RT. Some questions:

Is popping an exhaust restrictor back in a fast mod?

I have heard in 2006 muffler was redesigned. Was that to eliminate the exhaust restrictor in 2006 while also bring noise level back in line?

What about doing all the mods except de restricting the exhaust? Separate from the brain being fooled by more noise=more power, is off idle snappiness and low end power really increased? My concern comes from de restricting 4 strokes in the past and finding loss of low end power, and in some case losses even after re jetting, with the stock muffler providing superior quality low end with less tendency to flame out.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #219
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
I don't know about the specific mod. BUT, if you measure at pin 28 on the ECU (white/green wire) it would be short to ground if it is "stock", open if modded. I have an 07' that I have been modding, I will check that and see what it is. Not the answer, but will give you an idea.

I have nothing on the exhaust mod.

mud screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 12:10 PM Reason: Wrong pin number.... Fixed it
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #220
mud
I just wander.....

One thing I will add.
If it is not open, you can just pull the "pin" out of the connector with a really small flat screwdriver. Tape it so it doesn't touch anything and give it a ride.....

The thing that confuses me is that ECU's don't typically like ambiguity. It wants to see either gnd or Vcc (12V in this case). Leaving it floating gives it mixed signals.

Worth a shot though.

See what you think.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #221
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,853
Yeah, I got nothing on a "Pink Wire" mod. The only pink wire I see, and the only one shown on the wiring diagram goes from the ECU to the injector. Green is ground in Hondaspeak, so I have no idea what TC is talking about. As posted earlier, the thread is pretty garbled.

BTW, the White/Green wire shows it going into pin 28 on the 2005 service manual, not pin 27. 27 shows a Black/White wire leading to the pulser coil.

It also appears that if the lights were removed at the connector, that White/Green wire would be open anyway. With the lights connected, the White/Green feeds into the ground circuit for the lights. 28 is labeled "Map SW" so a wild guess is that another milder map is activated in the ECU when the Wh/G wire has continuity. I'll have to put a meter on mine to verify, but that is how I read the schematic.

brewtus screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 09:29 AM Reason: Speak that Honda, baby!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #222
KrAzyOSUcOwBoY
kRaZy

Oddometer: 112
Pink wire

I am not considering any change to the exhaust restrictors. The TC thread mentions a plate on the intake side that has only a "ridiculously" small hole for the intake to flow through and the so called pink wire is disconnected only when the intake restrictor is removed. Other than regular maintenance I haven't torn into the bike and I am especially leary of messing with the EFI. My bike seems to have a small lag in the throttle just off idle that removing the INtake restrictor might fix. I agree that the TC thread is confusing, thought you guys might have some direct experience with this mod.
KrAzyOSUcOwBoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #223
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
I am not considering any change to the exhaust restrictors. The TC thread mentions a plate on the intake side that has only a "ridiculously" small hole for the intake to flow through and the so called pink wire is disconnected only when the intake restrictor is removed. Other than regular maintenance I haven't torn into the bike and I am especially leary of messing with the EFI. My bike seems to have a small lag in the throttle just off idle that removing the INtake restrictor might fix. I agree that the TC thread is confusing, thought you guys might have some direct experience with this mod.

All the restrictors have been removed on mine. They had been removed at set-up for the previous owner. I don't believe that I've ever ridden a restricted 4RT, since all the ones sold here had the restrictors removed at sale to run well at elevation so I have no basis of comparison on how restricted bikes run here as opposed to un-restricted ones. Heck there are times I would like a bit more zip out of mine even with my meager skills.

FYI, I did verify that the Wh/G wire is open with the lights disconnected.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #224
BucketHead
Would-Be Camel Man

Oddometer: 225
When I got my 4rt, the headlight was removed switching the map, but the inlet restrictor was still in place. This mismatch between fuelling and availiable air killed the performance.

My advice is this: Disconnect the green headlight wire and remove the intake restrictor, and then if you want to remove the exhaust restrictors for more power. They are easy to do, especially the last one which is essentially your muffler endcap. You will have an entirely different bike.

It is my understanding that the headlight mapping was for on-road use, and the intent was for the mapping and intake to be changed for trials use.
BucketHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #225
mud
I just wander.....

Oops! It is pin 28 on the 07 as well, I'll fix my last post.

Mine is open as well.