Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #121
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,078
Some of the most fun I've ever had on a bike has been riding a 4RT in the snow. The snow has to be the right depth, too little and you end up digging into the ground beneath and w/ too much the bike won't get enough traction to overcome the resistance. About a foot of snow is good. It's like skiing w/ a motor. Rear wheel never really hooks up - all powerslides all the time. This is best done in large fields w/ some rolling hills, trails might not be such a good idea.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #122
CyaC
Reality Unplugged

Oddometer: 223
Well I've been riding my 4RT for a couple of weeks now and really love the sewing machine motor. It's so easy to start even though it's getting cold in WI and sips gas.

Only thing I don't like is it came with a black throttle tube (which is slow right?) and it's really ummm low power compared to the Sherco 2,9 and it's white throttle tube. I'm having a hard time pulling a wheelie and don't know what I'm doing wrong. It has the stock exhaust and perhaps that's too restictive...So I'm going to the white fast throttle tube but of course I'll miss the slow going in the technical stuff.
2011 Can Am 800XXC
One lucky Gal!
CyaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #123
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyaC View Post
Well I've been riding my 4RT for a couple of weeks now and really love the sewing machine motor. It's so easy to start even though it's getting cold in WI and sips gas.

Only thing I don't like is it came with a black throttle tube (which is slow right?) and it's really ummm low power compared to the Sherco 2,9 and it's white throttle tube. I'm having a hard time pulling a wheelie and don't know what I'm doing wrong. It has the stock exhaust and perhaps that's too restictive...So I'm going to the white fast throttle tube but of course I'll miss the slow going in the technical stuff.
Do you have stock gearing? If so try a 42T or 43T rear sprocket. The Sherco doesn't have more power its just geared lower. You should have the front and middle restrictors removed and leave the last one in. It make almost no difference.
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #124
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
It has the stock exhaust and perhaps that's too restictive...
4T's can get way too loud, especially for public lands or private with neighbor issues. Don't get carried away.
ridenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #125
CyaC
Reality Unplugged

Calm down, I ride on my land and the bike is much quieter than the Sherco 2T I had...just wish it had more pop like the 2.9.
2011 Can Am 800XXC
One lucky Gal!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #126
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:

If you have stock gearing going to a 9 tooth counter sprocket is a nice change. Doesn't require a new chain if you don't care about the difference in wear.

I am glad you like it C, I have been to busy to ride mine much lately. Good busy though.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #127
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I have not been very pleased with Lewisport.

I get my stuff here: http://www.overlandtrail.biz/

Dennis has been great. If he can get it he will. If he doesn't think he can he will let you know.

Thanks for posting this link mud!

+1 to Dennis!

I waited three weeks trying to get an email or phone call answered by Lewisport and finally emailed Dennis. He responded to me in 20 minutes, was great to deal with, had all my parts in stock and in the mail the next morning. He will be my new Montesa parts supplier!!
Old 11-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #128
CyaC
Reality Unplugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
If you have stock gearing going to a 9 tooth counter sprocket is a nice change. Doesn't require a new chain if you don't care about the difference in wear.

I am glad you like it C, I have been to busy to ride mine much lately. Good busy though.
Thanks Doug but it already has a 9 tooth front and 41 rear...oh well. I guess I'm just used to riding the Husaberg and the Sherco 2.9 that I sold. I did order a fast white throttle tube so we'll see. Thanks for all the help and I'm glad you're doing well!
2011 Can Am 800XXC
One lucky Gal!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #129
Creaky John
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Thanks for posting this link mud!

+1 to Dennis!

I waited three weeks trying to get an email or phone call answered by Lewisport and finally emailed Dennis. He responded to me in 20 minutes, was great to deal with, had all my parts in stock and in the mail the next morning. He will be my new Montesa parts supplier!!
Another big +1 for Dennis and mud. After waiting (and still waiting) for an exchange for the wrong part from Lewisport Dennis got the part from Europe to my door in three weeks. I did catch him when he was placing an order but there is no doubt who I'll be calling in the future.

2008 R1200GS (called the "GP" for Great Pumpkin cuz its orange)
2007 XT225 (the "dink bike" for dinking around)
2005 Montesa 4RT (after a mighty fine 315R all I can do is grin)
Creaky John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #130
Creaky John
Adventurer

I forgot to say its been 4 MONTHS I've been waiting on Lewisport (see my last post)

Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #131
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creaky John View Post
I forgot to say its been 4 MONTHS I've been waiting on Lewisport (see my last post)
After waiting now for four weeks for a response from Lewisport via email or phone, Lewisport sent me an email today saying they were sorry for the slight delay in responding to my email! Then offered me prices on all the parts I had already received from Dennis a week ago that were all about 10-15% higher than what Dennis charged me. And only had two of them in stock! How do they stay in business this way? To me, two to three days is a slight delay...four weeks means we don't want your business.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #132
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,628
I am glad to here you guys are happy with Dennis. It is nice to find someone doing it right and being able to pass it on.

My experience was the same as yours. On both sides.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #133
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Hi guys I have a 96 beta techno which i managed to move up to senior a line in d6 and have never ridden any of the newer 4 t bikes. was wondering if someoone who has ridden both or a simular 2t bike could tell me how much different they would be to ride at my skill level. thanks

oh am thinking of springing some cash for a bike and possibly competing again so i need some help to see if i should start back on mine or make a change.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #134
Creaky John
Adventurer

I had a 96 Techno. Nice bike, fun to ride and pretty much bomb proof. Mine had a milled head but even stock they had a pretty good "hit" as I recall. The 4RT (or 315 R for that matter) don't have the same hit but rev smoothly and have plenty of power (in my opinion) its just used a bit differently. I found the front end of the Beta to be significantly more weighted than the Montesas. Tracked well in tight turns but with a snappier motor throttle/clutch control was a bit touchier. It also required more accuracy for steps and such. For me the Montys were as stable in tight turns and the "gentler" throttle response made it easier to ride. While the timing for big steps was different for me, I never felt the smoother response of the Montesas was a problem. I actually prefered it when I figured it out. The 4RT is still new to me but I can't see it gives up anything to a 2 stroke. Timing again is a bit different but traction is much better. I took a break for several years after having a 315R and straight away I could do some things better on the 4RT than I could with the 315R. The Montesas also have a bit more frame flex than the Technos. It seems to compliment the smoother throttle response. For what its worth, I wouldn't hesitate to get a 4RT.
Hope that helps a bit.
John

Old 11-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #135
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creaky John View Post
I had a 96 Techno. Nice bike, fun to ride and pretty much bomb proof. Mine had a milled head but even stock they had a pretty good "hit" as I recall. The 4RT (or 315 R for that matter) don't have the same hit but rev smoothly and have plenty of power (in my opinion) its just used a bit differently. I found the front end of the Beta to be significantly more weighted than the Montesas. Tracked well in tight turns but with a snappier motor throttle/clutch control was a bit touchier. It also required more accuracy for steps and such. For me the Montys were as stable in tight turns and the "gentler" throttle response made it easier to ride. While the timing for big steps was different for me, I never felt the smoother response of the Montesas was a problem. I actually prefered it when I figured it out. The 4RT is still new to me but I can't see it gives up anything to a 2 stroke. Timing again is a bit different but traction is much better. I took a break for several years after having a 315R and straight away I could do some things better on the 4RT than I could with the 315R. The Montesas also have a bit more frame flex than the Technos. It seems to compliment the smoother throttle response. For what its worth, I wouldn't hesitate to get a 4RT.
Hope that helps a bit.
John
Thanks john that was exactly the kind of info i was looking for, was assuming the power difference would be a bit gentler but did not know about the frame flex do you view the frame flex as a positive or negative? thanks again!
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote