User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2014, 05:29 AM   #1
jamie92j OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Central Asia 2014

Reading trip reports on ADV is a dangerous business!

I blame these people for the most amazing summer of my life so far

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=945633 - We Come In Pieces - Budget travels from UK to Mongolia

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934709 - Tajikistan Or Bust! Solo trip from England to the Afghanistan border via Chechnya

Thanks guys

In May this year i took the plunge, applied for some visas, planned a rough route and gave myself a month to get ready

My bike was almost ready after a rebuild the winter before

jamie92j screwed with this post 09-25-2014 at 05:13 PM
jamie92j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #2
jamie92j OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In true ADV style here is a taster of whats to come

jamie92j screwed with this post 11-02-2014 at 05:06 AM
Old 09-24-2014, 05:41 AM   #3
EdiA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Let`s goooooo

So in!!!
EdiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
jamie92j OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So this is me

And this is my crazy friend who thought he could keep up on his CG125, he enters the story later...

Old 09-25-2014, 05:12 AM   #5
cristiano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I'm absolutely IN!
cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,439
in!
Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #7
jamie92j OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is a rough map of my route

25,000 KM (15,000 miles)

85 days on the road

Old 09-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
jamie92j OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Its hard to pinpoint the turning point for me, perhaps it was endless evenings spent reading trip reports on here or perhaps the fact I had to move out my rented house, either way the call of the road was strong and impossible to ignore.

Everything seemed to conspire to help me realise a dream.

I applied and paid for Russian, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan and Mongolian visas.

No going back now!

My Russian visa was scheduled to start in just one month!

Id just spent the winter rebuilding an old Transalp 600, it was far from standard, I had prepped it for Enduro riding in the UK but perhaps it was just my subconscious planning ahead for this trip?

Either way it was a monster off road and almost ideal for the trip I had in mind!

All that I needed now was some luggage and a few other bits to make the bike complete, I pondered for some time on various luggage options and finally shelled out for some rather expensive but very nice Adventure Spec Magadan MK2 bags.

The week before i left i had just the Kazakhstan visa to obtain, I had a call from the visa agency informing me Kazakhstan was going visa free the day after mine was scheduled to start. Cancel that send me a refund! I can wait one extra day! WIN!

The departure date came round sooner than expected. It was soon time to say my goodbyes to friends and family, with no real time frame in mind for when I would return, it was a truly liberating feeling.

It seems all great trips start with rain, I know Ted Simons did. It was inevitable.

Under grey skies with a constant monotonous drizzle I made the cold and damp ride to Hull to catch the overnight ferry straight to Rotterdam

jamie92j screwed with this post 02-19-2015 at 04:11 AM
Old 09-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,701
Epic ride

Thanks for taking us along..

Old 09-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
Krummemusic
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 65
fantastic...cant wait

Great start....and looks as if this will become, next to the photos, an interesting trip report.
I suspect...the smiling guy on the ferry with the 125 cc, the drowned bike, the poor fellow pushing a bike over the sand and gravel....are all the same !?
Count me in to see what happens.
Krummemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
jamie92j OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I arrived the following morning in Rotterdam with a slightly sore head after one to many Leffes the night before, luckily I passed the Dutch breathalyser test and was turned loose on to the continent!

I decided to blast across Western Europe as I had done several trips there before and damn petrol is expensive!

I made good progress on the Alp through Germany in yet more rain and torrential downpours, roadside coffee and schnitzel sandwiches fueled me through the worst of it.

I told myself while driving I would free camp that night in an effort to save money and also start the trip on a good footing, I made it just short of the Czech border, found a quiet country lane and pitched up behind some tress just as the sun was setting.

I slept well, yet it was still miserable and damp so I hastily packed up my things and made a move. I didn’t get far before I found an inviting sheltered bus stop with bench where I brewed up some real coffee in my coffee press, this ‘adventure’ riding is tough!

High on caffeine and fuelled by the prospect of finding sun and warmer climates I continued on into the Czech Republic.

It was a lovely drive down the country on windy tree lined roads through small towns and villages. I didn’t stop for photos unfortunately. Iv already explored the Czech Rep on previous trips so I pressed on into Austria.

I found a nice campsite to treat myself for two days sat in the rain. Mercifully it stopped raining long enough to pitch my tent, I found some good beer and pizza which soon lifted my moral.

I awoke the next day to this view, everything I own is now damp, the sun must be somewhere around here….

jamie92j screwed with this post 09-25-2014 at 06:52 PM
Old 09-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 559
Subscribed
Old 09-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #13
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,202
Old 09-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
jamie92j OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I stayed in my tent as long as I could that morning hoping for a break in the rain, it did not come.

Aiming my GPS to Budapest I set off once again in the loathsome weather. By the time I had got to Budapest it was noticeable warmer and it had stopped raining!

I arrived to a campsite which was far from idyllic (sh#t hole) so quickly spinning round I browsed the Garmin for other options. ‘Biker Camp’ was a promising name so I headed there.

At first I thought it was a dud spot but I saw a small sign and pressed the bell, a large metal gate opened in front of me to a small grassy oasis. A real nirvana inside such a big city.

I highly recommend it to anyone travelling through there.

BIKER CAMP

I spent a great evening drinking beer and chatting with a Dutch couple on BMWs who had been touring around Romania.

The following day I went to explore the city.

The Liberty Statue watches over the city and is clearly visible from all around. It was built in 1947 to commemorate the end of WWII and those who sacrificed their lives in the liberation of Hungary.

I went up to the castle on the hill, ‘Fisherman’s Bastion’ was built between 1895 – 1902, after being nearly destroyed in WWII it was restored and still seemed to have a few building projects going on. There was a slight air of Disney land being that it was so new. Yet it gave some great views of the city and was a nice spot to hang out

I set off towards Slovakia the following day in beautiful blue sky hoping to make the High Tatra Mountains. The drive was stunning on small twisty mountain roads hemmed in by trees and greenery on all sides.

Progress was slow yet enjoyable and I eventually found a campsite on the foothills of the mountains.

The sky was a menacing grey, just as I arrived the heavens broke loose. I sat inside the small restaurant and had a glorious meal washed down with the local beer trying to prolong the inevitable. The rain only got worse.

I drove around the site looking for somewhere reasonably sheltered and found a giant marque which was ideal! I pitched up with the aid of a few bungee ties and my bike for support. I almost felt sorry for all those other fools camping in the rain.

I had foolishly thought I was out the rain when I was down in Budapest, not quite….
Old 09-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #15
RBnite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I guess no one cared about you camping there? Did you pay to camp or just set up your tent?

It always bothers me to camp without permission, can't sleep very soundly.

Especially in the city.

Just curious. Enjoying the report.

Rbnite
RBnite is offline   Reply With Quote