Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #136
b3h
ol dog on a stray

Oddometer: 181
Hi Dave,

Enjoyin your RR & pics, keep em comin.

Hopefully you will run into better ridin conditions soon.

Got some questions for ya:

Is that an XR’s only skid plate on your bike and did you have to mod it for the center stand?

Is that a tool kit mounted up front and can you rest your feet on it?

What other mods have you got on that L?

Got a place for rest & repairs close to DC and Baltimore when ya get out this way.

Thanks and safe ridin.
b3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #137
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
OK so I made it to Roswell NM. Hopefully I'll spend the night in Carlsbad and have internet. Then I can respond to some of the questions I've gotten. If not tonight then soon. I also have pics and a story too.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #138
Giddy Up
Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer: 55
Nice

One question: What is your top end speed on your rig with it fully loaded while on slab? I like how you have the minimalist approach.

This has been fun reading your report. Thank you and keep it up!
Giddy Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #139
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Ok, well last night I only got 3 hours of sleep. I was doing fine untill I sat down on the hotel bed. Now I'm wipped. So Im going to spend 2 nights here and get stuff done tomorow like the update, as well as the caverns. Then ill get an early start on Saturday morning.

I have had my first bike problem. 2 of the 3 bolts holding my baffle onto the rear of the muffler have come out. Im not sure if they backed out or sheared off. Im pretty sure they just vibrated out, ill know more tomorrow. So I'm going to get some new ones tomorrow. With the muffler coming strait off the other bike that already had 22,000 + miles on the muffler im not surprised. Other than that the bike is doing great. Now that im here at 3,000 feet elevation I can feel the power coming back to the girl. Im quite pleased. She has been jetted for sea level this entire trip....Shut up, im lazy.

Giddy Up, you are the second person to mention the "minimalist approach". oldairhd did too, in the very first responce. Can you tell me what you guys mean by this? Im not quite sure I understand.

Well ive geared it down from stock: 15/45 to a 14/45 setup. That way i have more toqure. Once the rear sprocket dies im going to change to a 15/48 setup. That way i have the same gear ratio but more chain clearence. I don't know what my top speed is with this setup and all the gear. I havn't tested it. However I did get to about 87 mph while passing someone, and she still had more in her. I wasnt even at the red line yet. The redline is 7400 on these bikes and if I recal correctly she was somewhere around 5600-5800 rpm. That was in a mountain too, so now that im at sea level and the jetting is better i know she will do more. However im not going to test her.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 AM   #140
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
I have had my first bike problem. 2 of the 3 bolts holding my baffle onto the rear of the muffler have come out. Im not sure if they backed out or sheared off. Im pretty sure they just vibrated out, ill know more tomorrow.
Blue locktite. I've lost several of those before locktite.

John
Old 04-23-2010, 04:54 AM   #141
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,094
Talking

Quote:
Giddy Up, you are the second person to mention the "minimalist approach". oldairhd did too, in the very first responce. Can you tell me what you guys mean by this? Im not quite sure I understand.
Pretty much as follows YMMV:

single cylinder - air cooled is like extra points

no Jesse,Zeta, Winnebago, etc. panniers

lack of a pull behind generator to power all your sTUFF

sleeping wherever...tent space utilization...extra points

oil changes on the go...no dealer reservations with complimentary latte' and scone...extra points.

there are probably more items but I'm trying to keep it minimal
Old 04-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #142
rrittner
SometimesY

Oddometer: 242
Way Cool

I like the fact that your touring on the same bike I have. Good luck.
rrittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #143
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

I had a fantastic time at Duke’s place.

The next morning we went off to have breakfast. Both Duke and Tami work right in town, so they ride their bikes (human powered) to work. I road behind them to breakfast doing my part of blinker supervisor. I love little towns and their cool breakfast places. I had some hot chocolate and a muffin. Duke works at a T-shirt shop. He makes the cool Wolfman shirts too. Tami works pretty much right next door at the only bead shop in town. I got a cool necklace made with a lion on it. Thanks again guys for the lodging. Then I took off on my way to Durango. Ya I lied about Albuquerque being my next stop. Well its my next big stop. Durango has a Honda dealer in it and I needed a Colorado Honda photo still. I still had to go over a pass to get out of where I was. As I was going up and over Creek pass it started to snow. Once I got to the summit and headed down it stopped though. As I was coming down the other side I pulled over to get some pics.

A little after I pulled in another guy pulled in driving his truck. His name was Larry, and he was traveling from Florida to Oregon. He was pretty cool, and we talked for about 30 minutes. I showed him some cool routes that I had taken and that he might want to do. His truck was really neat. He had it set up to just pull over and go in the back and sleep. There was a bed and everything.

On the way down I saw this sign and thought… Yay time for some fun.

But, alas there was nothing different about the road.
This is a mountain range I saw once I got out of the mountains and into the flatlands.

A few miles later along the 160 I came across this alien finding spot of some kind. It cost me $2 to get in, but it was kinda worth it. Basically it was an honor system for paying.

I arrived at Durango after the Honda place closed, so I scoped around for a place to stay. Not really feeling like paying for a hotel I rode up atop some mountains and stayed there.
Durango

My tent site.

The next morning I went down and had a hard time finding the Honda dealer. Even though I passed them twice and didn’t even see it.

Seeing as I didn’t get a picture of me going into Colorado, due to there being nothing more than a “now leaving Wyoming” sign. I figured I’d get it when I left.

Entering New Mexico.

I grabbed Dairy Queen for lunch and had a blizzard too. While there an older guy walked in and asked where the ruins were. I listened to what the cashier said as I wanted to go too. They are the ruins of an Indian tribe, and have nothing to do with the Aztecs.

After that I rode onto Albuquerque. There isn’t really much as far as scenic stuff out here. Ha, ha, ha.

Also the bike turned 5.

I stayed the night at with Steve and Linda, fellow ADV‘s from the tent space thread. They were really nice, and took me out to dinner where we met up with Curtis and his friend Bill. Also ADV inmates. We stayed at the place until they closed talking trip and bike stuff. It was very fun. I left in the morning kinda late in the morning. Thanks guys for the lodging. It was a pretty good ride on the 25 interstate. I don’t like main interstates but this one wasn’t so bad. I was listening to mi music thinking about what I would do for …. AH CRAPPPPP!!!!! I forgot to get a picture at the Honda dealer. Looked at my mileage… 60 MILES??????? Dang, well there goes 180 miles down the drain. 60 out, 60 back, and 60 out again. O well, I headed back into town. I got there and took my picture and talked a bit with the people there. This is Scott.

I gassed back up and headed down the same road I took earlier. God has a funny way of working things out too. For as I was riding I noticed the cars in front of me swerving. There was a ladder in the middle of the road. I wasn’t in the lane it was in so I just went passed. I looked for a place to turn around and finally did about a mile later. As I was going back north I saw a police officer drive right passed the ladder and swerve too. I don’t’ understand the thinking of some PO’s. He never came back to get it out of the road. That’s ok because that’s why I turned around. I cross the median again and road up to the ladder and parked off the road. It took me a while to find something to put under my stand as the ground was really soft. It took me about 3 trips out to the road because someone had run it over and mashed it up. I had to wait and run every time due to all the cars going by. I would wait and run out then back. Well, once I got that cleared I thought about it, and figured it was a good thing that I had to come back for the picture. If I didn’t come back I wouldn’t of been on the road to get the ladder, not that the PO would either. Once I got riding again the wind just started howling. I remembered the phrase “no good dead goes unpunished.” For a while it was going ok, but then I had to ride at wide open throttle just to reach 65mph. Even then it was still going from 60 - 65 mph. It was then that I decided to pull off at the next rest stop and wait. Luckily for me the next stop was only 4 miles away, and it was really cool. It had something like 8 outside shelters. The shelters had open windows and doors and were elevated. I would think for the snow and wind, but idk. I got off and explored the place as the wind picked up. Now I know that the bike probably isn’t allowed in the little shelters, but I didn’t care. So I rode the bike up the ramp and into one of the shelters. I was about 4 pm so I laid down to rest. I was hoping to get to the VLA (very large array) that day. Linda told me that the tours close at dusk. I was 2 hours out and it was 2 hours till dusk. “well guess ill be staying here tonight.” I said to myself. I found the only room that could protect me from the wind… the vending machine room. It was a fully enclosed room with covered windows, so it was quite calm in there. I spent the next few hours listening to the radio and reading my Bible. At around 10 pm I decided to go to bed. Man you have to love God’s humor. I asked him to please let me get up for sunrise, because I thought it would make a good picture. 3 hours later at 1 am I woke up. I tried to get back to sleep but in the end couldn’t. So I spent the next 5 and a half hours waiting for sunrise to come. I did a lot of things, walked around in the cold wind, listened to the radio, and just sat there. I did rain a little bit so to keep me warm I heated up some of my water and drank it. Finally sunrise came and I loaded up and headed out. This is the room I stayed in. I rolled the bike inside in front of the vending machine. Also the rest stop as I left and sunrise.

As I rode out to the VLA it got windy again, but manageable. The sky was dark and I knew I was headed into the storm.

I got there and looked at the visitor center and just before I left for the self guided tour it started to snow. So I just went a little ways on the tour.

It snowed all the way along the 60 all the way to Magdalena where it turned to rain. I took the 380 towards Roswell. It rained all the way to Carrizozo. I stopped there for gas and ran into a guy named Dwayne. He was also going to Carlsbad, so we rode together all the way to Roswell. Once at Roswell we split up, me going to check out the town and him to Carlsbad. There wasn’t much to see in Roswell. I thought it was going to be quite different, maybe I just didn’t go to the right places. O well, I got some post cards and took off as it was starting to rain again.

I stopped at the Carlsbad KOA, and it was gusting 30 mph winds. I decided that their cabins were too expensive, so I got a hotel in Carlsbad. When I stopped at the first hotel to find out their prices, I heard a funny rattling coming from the arse end of Lady Thumper. It turns out that 2 of the 3 bolts holding the baffle onto the muffler came out. CRAP!!!!!!. Well I’ll fix it in the morning. Motel 6 had the best price, so I checked in and went to sleep. This morning I went and got 2 new bolts for the baffle. Problem fixed. Once I got back to the hotel I noticed that the pins holding the end part together were getting sloppy too. Basically the baffle is tight in the end, but the pins holding the part that the baffle bolts into are becoming sloppy. There is no way to tighten these as they are basically rivets. O well, guess Ill live with it. The 2 rivets just above and below the sticker in this picture.

Well its still high winds outside but I’m going to suit up and go check out the caverns.
Till then………………..

Late edit. My trip so far...

ShooterDave screwed with this post 04-23-2010 at 07:47 PM
Old 04-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #144
FJDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Thumb

Wow, good for you! This is an awesome thread and you are having an awesome adventure! Thank you for posting. I'm subscribed and wish you all the best!!!
FJDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #145
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
SWEET....
Old 04-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #146
FatherX
Java Man

Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #147
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Well update.... After fixing my muffler (so I thought) I headed off to Carlsbad Caverns. Ill have the pics in the next update. As i got back into town I saw that I lost one of the bolts, and the other was half out. Turns out that since the bottom 2 rivets are looses as well, the vibrations are lossening up the other bolts. The holes have become oval shape. I now need to find a place in town that will drill me some new holes so I can bolt it up. The ploblem is going to be putting the bolts in as since the collar us a "U" shape on its side. There is no to way hold the nuts on the inside. Maybe i can weld it, but will I ever need to take it off? Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

ShooterDave screwed with this post 04-23-2010 at 04:47 PM
Old 04-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #148
FatherX
Java Man

Quote:
Well update.... After fixing my muffler (so I thought) I headed off to Carlsbad Caverns. Ill have the pics in the next update. As i got back into town I saw that I lost one of the bolts, and the other was half out. Turns out that since the bottom 2 rivets are looses as well the vibrations are lossening up the other bolts. The holes have become oval shape. I now need to find a place in town that will drill me some new holes so I can bolt it up. The ploblem is going to be putting the bolts in as since the collar us a "U" shape on its side. There is no way hold the nuts on the inside. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
the answer is always JB 4 minute
Old 04-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #149
CAMODUDE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
hey shooterdave
cool pics as always, now about that muffler just use biger rivets, hey and when you get to PA look out for chickens!! i just hit one on the way home this evening, man what a mess that made on my black joerocket coat it hit my left blinker first then came back over the handle bars and hit me NO CHIT!!! JUST EGGS ALL OVER MY COAT AND PANTS!!!
ill be scrubbing that off in the morning.
CAMODUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #150
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,339
Hey Dave! It's good to see you are still rollin' along! Duke and I enjoyed visiting with you the other night, and wish you well on your journey!!

Safe and fun travels friend!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote