Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #166
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
ummmm....what happened to the pics?
I'm working on the photos and will have them fixed in the next couple of days.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #167
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,038
Thumb

lunch
Old 04-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #168
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
I'm working on the photos and will have them fixed in the next couple of days.
Keep Rolling......I LOVE it.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #169
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT
Since you are in Carsbad, have you considered heading down to Big Bend area? Big Bend Ranch State Park is AWESOME. So much scenery you may hit visual overload. Cheap camping among the remote vistas. Could spend a night there and the next night around Terlingua/Study Butte.
Yes, yes! Awesome hot springs near the end of that dirt road the runs along the rio grand heading East (River Road?) too....
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #170
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Well I didn't get to go to Big Bend. I stayed last night in San Antonio with Larry and Louise. Thanks guys you were awesome. Ill have pictures up later, and I'll fix the current pics. I'm going to head up to Austin for tonight to check out that bat bridge thing, and the Cathedral of Junk. From there I will head down to Houston and have dinner with Todd, Larry and maybe Fritz.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #171
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,338
This trip has the making of a mighty great adventure. Best of luck on your explorations. If you make it near Southern Wisconsin you have a spot here for some supper and story swapping.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #172
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
Well I didn't get to go to Big Bend. I stayed last night in San Antonio with Larry and Louise. Thanks guys you were awesome. Ill have pictures up later, and I'll fix the current pics. I'm going to head up to Austin for tonight to check out that bat bridge thing, and the Cathedral of Junk. From there I will head down to Houston and have dinner with Todd, Larry and maybe Fritz.
If I wasn't on duty today I'd meet you somewhere and treat. Just don't look up iwth your mouth open when the bats take flight. ;-)

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #173
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #174
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Well its a little late and I'm too tired to do a full ride report right now. So I'll do it soon. Here is a pic to keep it going though.
She celebrated her 6th birthday.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:41 AM   #175
FatherX
Java Man

doing some big mileage bud

12 meg?
Old 04-26-2010, 05:53 AM   #176
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
Hey ShooterDave...

Didn't see it mentioned, so I'll post it here...

When you think that you'll need a tire/tires in a week or so, order them up at:
http://www.swmototires.com/

Have them shipped to some random ADVRider who lives about a week down the road from where you are. He/I will throw them on for you.

If you order 2 from them it's free shipping, so maybe wait to use this plan until you need 2 tires at the same time. You can probably find a good deal on one rear tire along the road somewhere...

Ride on...
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #177
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Hey thanks Cornfed. I actually need a new set pretty soon. The problem is I donít know where Iím going to be in the future. Iím making things up as I go. Ill probably need them in the next week or so. I donít think I can make it all the way to your place on these tires. It might just be easier to get them as I go, but thanks for the idea.

Sorry about the pictures being so big. I'll have to fix that on my camera. I must of changed them and not known it.

Ride Report:
Yay, caverns. I found the Carlsbad Caverns alright. There was some wind on the way there, but it wasnít too bad. Unfortunately I didnít make it in time to do the natural entrance tour. Basically you walk to the nature surface entrance and then work your way down into the caverns. They close that part at 2pm, and I got there at 2:15pm. I did get to do the regular tour though. Itís a self guided tour of the caverns. The caverns were pretty cool, but the tour is a mile long loop. One can only see so much rock lol. Anyways here are some pics of it. There was very little lighting down there so the pics arenít the greatest.

This is what it looked like when I came outside. It rained for about the first mile.

The ride back was still windy, but it was a tail wind. I was pretty hungry so I pulled into the Sonic in town. WTF??? Huh??? Iíve heard that sound beforeÖ.. Grrrrrr, my muffler again? Well I took a look and one bolt was missing and the second was almost out. The third was still in there. So I screwed the one back in and went to get some food. Mmmmmm, they have good shakes. Afterwards I went to a muffler shop to see if they could help. The guy was working on another car and said he wouldnít be able to help till Monday. I decided that I would just get some sheet metal screws and fix it that way. When I got back to the hotel there was a KLR parked in front of the room next door. I thought ďo, cool.Ē I took my baffle off completely and turned the bike on. Bammm, man thatís loud. I love it. The guy heard it and came outside. His name was Larry. We talked for a bit and decided to go have dinner at the Pizza Hut in town. Later that night we took some pics.

That night I couldnít sleep at all. So I just watched tv. Revenge of the nerds was on, as well as Dragonheart. Once those were over I packed up. It was dawn so out to the bike I go. Larry and I packed at the same time, we both wanted an early start that day.

I had no idea where I was going to sleep that night, so I wrote some fellow inmates to see if anyone could put me up. The nearest people were in San Antonio. I wasnít sure if I could make it that far, but off I went. I decided once I got onto the 10 that I would split off on the 190 and if I heard from someone Iíd just head back down south. I reached the Texas border rather early. Also my Tachometer showed that I had reached the 100 hours of riding mark.

Man its flat out here.

I got to where the 10, and 190 meet and there was a rest stop a few hundred yards after the turn off, so I stopped. I checked me phoneÖ no calls. Boy do I live having a dual sport. I popped the curb, crossed the grass, stopped at the road and waited for cars to pass, rode across the median, waited for more cars, and took off. By the time I reached the 137, I decided to just head to San Antonio. I got a call from Larry offering for me to stay at there place. Yay! Just rode for the next few hours. Reached their place, had dinner and talked for a bit. About half way thru dinner the exhaustion hit me, so I went to bed. I checked my plug the next day and it looked pretty good. I was worried about being lean due to the increased airflow from the removed baffle. I also checked my mileage. That was my biggest day so far. I did 454 miles. Larry took me into town to see his work and the Alamo. As he did some work I saw some sights. I went to the Alamo, and the Riverwalk. Then I came to the Hyatt hotel and found some cool glass elevators. Of course the kid in me had some fun. I went up and down the elevators a few times. Thanks Larry and Louise for everything.

Once I got to Austin I went to the Congress bridge to see the bats fly out. You can kind of see the stream of them on the far side of the bridge in this picture.

After that I got a call from binskies saying that I could stay at her place. Thatís where Iím at now. From here ill head down to Houston to meet up with a few ADV guys.
The trip so far.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #178
FatherX
Java Man

looking good D

Old 04-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #179
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Dave: Please resize your pics. They are MASSIVE and impossible to see. 800x600 is plenty big.

John
Old 04-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #180
FatherX
Java Man

Omg

I got this one Dave...the rest are all you buddy

moving right along fo sho