Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #196
Larry_77084
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
We fixed him up with a 21" IRC that I pulled off on my KLR which only had around 1k on it. No rear though, he was welcomed to take an 18" TKC but it's a tubeless tire and would be bitch to spoon on and off somewhere down the line. He will need a rear sooner than later

"Suppose you were an idiot...And suppose you were a member of Congress...But I repeat myself".

-Mark Twain

I give up!

Larry_77084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #197
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,954
I've got an XRL, and I've done some trips on it. Not one like yours, but I know what a murderous bastard that seat is. Wow.

Aside from that, what a great journey. Thanks for sharing, and keep 'em coming. Stop by my shop if you go through here, I'll make sure you don't go 'way hungry.

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #198
FatherX
demisocial

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_77084
We fixed him up with a 21" IRC that I pulled off on my KLR which only had around 1k on it. No rear though, he was welcomed to take an 18" TKC but it's a tubeless tire and would be bitch to spoon on and off somewhere down the line. He will need a rear sooner than later
good deal

gotta love the brotherhood & or sisterhood
Old 04-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #199
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX

hope you don't mind me big brothering you D

O no of course not. Its nice to have someone keeping tabs on me incase I go missing. Especially since I'm not updating every moment.

Well I didn't quite make it to Arkansas tonight. I took a longer route on the 157 north (an amazing ride btw) and ran into some logging trucks that I had to go around. I love the more power down at sea level now. I made it to where the 173 and the 20 split, just north east of Shreveport. I found a nice RV park that is letting me tent here. I love the reactions when you ask to tent at an RV park. "Um, uh, we're really not set up for that." Then I go into my whole thing of "I'm on a motorcycle doing a cross country trip, and am completely self supporting." So they think about it for a sec and then don't know what to charge. So she asked me what other places have charged me. "Well the last place was free, but I don't feel right asking for that." So she let me stay for $10 instead of the $30 they charge RVs since I'm not using hook ups or actual trailer space. So I'm camping off to the side in the grass tonight. Hope there isn't as many bugs in the morning as there were this morning. I totally love how nice and helpful people have been when they see me on a dirt bike. You don't get anything like this when in a car. Ha ha suckers. . Anyways no internet tonight so the update and fix will have to wait till later. Tomorrow I'm planning on heading to the Honda dealer just across the border. Then work my way up thru Arkansas and into Oklahoma. I hope to hit Oklahoma, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia on into Florida to see the shuttle launch on May 14th. That's pretty much my route for right now.

Night.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #200
FatherX
demisocial

Old 04-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #201
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,970
Loving following your journey Dave! Keep the pics and stories coming!!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #202
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Well I'm off in search of a new rear tire. I'm in magnolia Arkansas. A shop in texarkana said they have a dual sport tire, but idk how street worthy it is. Only one way to find out. So I'm going to make a list if advs in the area then head out.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #203
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

No tire yet. An inmate in Tulsa is trying to find one for me so hopefully tomorrow. It has some life left in it, but I'd just want to replace it now so I don't get somewhere where there isn't one and it become unsafe. As for tonight, I'll be camping in Mena at some Christian place. I'm still not sure if its a camp or what. I just know that a store owner recommended it. Plus its only $4 to tent. Man its getting hotter everyday.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #204
FatherX
demisocial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
No tire yet. An inmate in Tulsa is trying to find one for me so hopefully tomorrow. It has some life left in it, but I'd just want to replace it now so I don't get somewhere where there isn't one and it become unsafe. As for tonight, I'll be camping in Mena at some Christian place. I'm still not sure if its a camp or what. I just know that a store owner recommended it. Plus its only $4 to tent. Man its getting hotter everyday.
DONT DRINK THE KOOL-AID
Old 04-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #205
MikeBike4
Hacked

Oddometer: 1,343
Laugh But it's a damp heat!

Hopefully you'll get that tire soon. If you make it to NC/WV I'll have a set of 606's waiting in case you need either or both.

It should be nice and humid this weekend, you're gonna love it!!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #206
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
Shooer, just a suggestion YMMV. My bro in law likes to save money and doesn't mind changing tires a lot. He goes by bike shops and they let him take from the throw away pile. He runs non-D.O.T. knobs on his XR-L.
I don't know how you are about tire changing or non-DOT tires on the street , but it seems to work for him.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #207
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
Please report total miles on the 606 when it finially dies.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #208
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc
Please report total miles on the 606 when it finially dies.

Well as of right not it has 6103 on it. If I get a tire tomorrow I'm definitely going to change it. The tire probably has another 700 maybe even 1000 left in it, kinda hard to tell. I have definitely run a 606 down further than this one is. My only worry is that it will get to an unsafe riding condition and ill be in an area that wont have any replacements. That is why I'm changing it.

Actually I went by a used tire place today looking with no luck. I actually want to go with a more street tire considering ill see more street with rain in the near future than dirt. I'm not opposed to changing it my self to save money that's for sure.

No internet still so hopefully tomorrow night ill be able to get on and upload. You all know how it is on the road.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #209
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Also I've kinda made a list of the people who want me to stop by. Now that I'm in the eastern area there are a lot of you guys around. If you want me to stop by please email or pm me with you address and phone number so I can get in contact with you and set up the meet. (Don't worry I wont share your personal info, ill sell it. ) Since so many of you live so close maybe we can meet up for dinner or a ride somewhere as a group idk. Just a thought.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #210
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,604
Great report!