DAVE! Get well soon my man!
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #782
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitecmom
WHe fell on the same side as Crash #1 and has re-broken his collarbone. It is completely detached.

Damn. Thanks for keeping us updated. We're all pulling for him.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #783
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Really Mom I talked to you??? I knew I should of killed that double when I had the chance. Also you miss understood... I'm in Mary's Harbor. You know you didn't have to go on a frantic search calling everywhere. You knew I would get back to you when I could. I don't have any cell service up here and texts wont go thru due to the fact that they are running a different system up here. If it was something that serious you wouldn't of know yet, as I'd be too busy solving problems. Besides you guys are 3000 miles away. What could you possibly do from there???

Well yes yes all the healing I've done over the last 3 months has been for nothing. I landed on the same side and re-separated it. My ribs are bruised and my hip took a hit too, just an inch above the internal pad. I went back to the crash site and it looks like from the first point of debris to where she came to rest the bike traveled 250 feet. I landed about 10 feet in front of that. No idea if I flew that far or how long I stuck with the bike.

The rear rack is a bit bent up as well as a few other things. Everything can be fixed in a few hours and can be back on the road soon. The entire dash in front of the bars is gone though. The cables are still intact so she will run fine. I just wont have a headlight or speedometer and such. Ill have the parts from the other bike shipped out to Ohio and I'll fix it when I get there. The windshield shattered. There were tiny pieces all over the place. It was awesome.

We'll I'm admitting that 600 miles of gravel probably isn't good for me right now. At this point I am the furthest north east as well as the furthest from home I will be on this trip. I will be taking the southern route, but not the same route as coming up. I still have to check pricing but there is a ferry from about where I was let off in Labrador that goes down to near where the TLH would of let me out. Basically both routes will take me thru the same city. As well as getting the bike together I will be looking into that. My thought is to rest here for a few days then either ride to the ferry or have us trucked out to it. I heard the ferry is about 12 hours long so it will be a nice rest. Again I will know more when I look it up later, but either way I think this is best.
After I get off the ferry I will proceed on as previously planned. Cross Quebec on in thru Michigan then work my way to Mike's place. Fix the dash assembly there then head to Dave's to help him with his Carb.

Now again that is a plan put together without knowing concrete details. Hopefully it will work out, but things might change.

I will keep y'all posted as I can. Hopefully I'll have a ride report up soon. Thanks for the encouragement. BTW flipping the tire would of done Jack.

On a side note. I will kill the next person who mentions anything about the hospitality of people in a place I will be going. The only places that have been mentioned to me to have wonderful hospitality is also the only places I've had a big wipe out.

ShooterDave screwed with this post 08-22-2010 at 05:25 AM
ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:31 AM   #784
FJDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Well...wow! Sure happy to hear from you here! I don't know what to say...lol. It could have been much worse and I'm glad it wasn't. I don't know what but if there is anything I can do to help please let me know. (But then you already knew that) Probably just like at Mike's but when you get here you can certainly stay for as long as you like or need.

Take care of yourself and keep your spirits UP!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #785
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJDave
Take care of yourself and keep your spirits UP!
Glad you met some more nice folks. Take it easy for a while then

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #786
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
Really Mom I talked to you??? I knew I should of killed that double when I had the chance. Also you miss understood... I'm in Mary's Harbor. You know you didn't have to go on a frantic search calling everywhere. You knew I would get back to you when I could. I don't have any cell service up here and texts wont go thru due to the fact that they are running a different system up here. If it was something that serious you wouldn't of know yet, as I'd be too busy solving problems. Besides you guys are 3000 miles away. What could you possibly do from there???

Well yes yes all the healing I've done over the last 3 months has been for nothing. I landed on the same side and re-separated it. My ribs are bruised and my hip took a hit too, just an inch above the internal pad. I went back to the crash site and it looks like from the first point of debris to where she came to rest the bike traveled 250 feet. I landed about 10 feet in front of that. No idea if I flew that far or how long I stuck with the bike.

The rear rack is a bit bent up as well as a few other things. Everything can be fixed in a few hours and can be back on the road soon. The entire dash in front of the bars is gone though. The cables are still intact so she will run fine. I just wont have a headlight or speedometer and such. Ill have the parts from the other bike shipped out to Ohio and I'll fix it when I get there. The windshield shattered. There were tiny pieces all over the place. It was awesome.

We'll I'm admitting that 600 miles of gravel probably isn't good for me right now. At this point I am the furthest north east as well as the furthest from home I will be on this trip. I will be taking the southern route, but not the same route as coming up. I still have to check pricing but there is a ferry from about where I was let off in Labrador that goes down to near where the TLH would of let me out. Basically both routes will take me thru the same city. As well as getting the bike together I will be looking into that. My thought is to rest here for a few days then either ride to the ferry or have us trucked out to it. I heard the ferry is about 12 hours long so it will be a nice rest. Again I will know more when I look it up later, but either way I think this is best.
After I get off the ferry I will proceed on as previously planned. Cross Quebec on in thru Michigan then work my way to Mike's place. Fix the dash assembly there then head to Dave's to help him with his Carb.

Now again that is a plan put together without knowing concrete details. Hopefully it will work out, but things might change.

I will keep y'all posted as I can. Hopefully I'll have a ride report up soon. Thanks for the encouragement. BTW flipping the tire would of done Jack.

On a side note. I will kill the next person who mentions anything about the hospitality of people in a place I will be going. The only places that have been mentioned to me to have wonderful hospitality is also the only places I've had a big wipe out.

Hospitality was fine here wasn`t it......... didn`t wipe out here that i remember.............

Look bud.....your choice of course.........but i still think you should come back here..........we`ll fix it up...........you can heal up.......and then go down through Maine.....i really think you should not be riding with a damaged bike and in pain.....

So PM me..call me ..whatever.........ride to the ferry in NFLD....get back here......then after you heal abit you can decide what to do...

HEY...........I`LL EVEN GET YOU A DOZEN McCain`s Cakes

Couch is looking good about now isn`t it Dave

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #787
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Yes your hospitality was great, and no I didn't crash. However no body sad how legendary the hospitality was in New Brunswick let alone Brian's place.. I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to do as far as getting out of here. Ill send you a pm.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #788
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
Yes your hospitality was great, and no I didn't crash. However no body sad how legendary the hospitality was in New Brunswick let alone Brian's place.. I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to do as far as getting out of here. Ill send you a pm.

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 08-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #789
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,869

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #790
P3rcr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Moncton

Hi Dave:)
Hope you heel quick if you happen to pass back in town those hills will be conquered) How's your video taking skills :)
Maybe we can tear off some of those side knobs hehehe
All the best Paul B
P3rcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #791
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3rcr
Hi Dave:)
Hope you heel quick if you happen to pass back in town those hills will be conquered) How's your video taking skills :)
Maybe we can tear off some of those side knobs hehehe
All the best Paul B

He`s headed back here Paul...bike fixin time again

B
Old 08-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #792
Aunt Kathie
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Why Aunts Turn Grey

OK...will you keep off the gravel and just fly straight??? You're turning me grey which will only serve to increase Stephanie's business as I'll have to visit her sooner than anticipated.

We miss you, love you, and hope you take a bit more time to recuperate before hitting the skids again.

Uncle Dick was born in Highland Park, Michigan but lived in Royal Oak, Michigan. His folks went to Royal Oak High School where their mascot (I'm not making this up) was the Mighty Acorn. At football games the crowds would cheer, "Go You Nuts!" Thought you might get a kick out of that.

Anyway, PLEASE take care of yourself and BE CAREFUL.

10-4, over and out.

XOXOXO,

Aunt Kathie

P.S. Brian is starting a class this Saturday to get a certificate for becoming a Private Investigator.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #793
Todd2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Dave, Dave, Dave,

So sorry to hear of your latest get-off. "It is completely detached." This break sounds worse than the first one (more like mine, and I wasn't riding anywhere, after I rode back home - too much pain). You know you don't have to make all decisions immediately. Take your time and explore all your options - think them through, and you'll make the decision that's right for you. Also, give yourself time to heal.

I know there is nothing I can do for you (but give you more unsolicited advice ) and wish you well. So take care, bud. Let us know how it goes.

Todd
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #794
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Thanks Todd.

The plan is to leave tomorrow and head back to Brian's place to fix the bike. I'm going to wait until I get there to do a full ride report. It will be easier for me that way. The shoulder is doing much better. My ribs are still bothering me a bit but nothing I can't handle.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #795
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,396
Hello Dave:
Sorry about my smart assed front tire comment. It's a joke down here in out group.
Hope you get to feeling better.
Try to set your rear spring softer to help prevemt a reoccurance. A too stiff rear spring tends to make the old XRL front end wash out easely.
Regards
Fritz, Hou. Tx.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote