Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #121
lasercustoms
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
And I thought the Baja 1000 looked cool.....This is great!!!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #122
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Well tonight I'm spending the night on top of some mountains overlooking Durango Colorado. It might rain but I'm all waterproofed up so I'm not worried. It would be kinda sucky though. It was nice, I got up here before it got dark and was able to set up camp and fix dinner. I did see some mountain lion tracks when I went to go hang my food up away from camp. Its got me thinking about it but it doesn't change things. I'm here regardless, so I'm not really going to worry about it. Its funny to be up here and hear all the city noise. I can hear car alarms as if there were next to me, as well as engines reving. Its pretty cool. I hope I get up before sunrise. It would be an awesome sight to see the sun rising over the city. I'm posting from my phone so no pics yet, sorry.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #123
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
Well tonight I'm spending the night on top of some mountains overlooking Durango Colorado. It might rain but I'm all waterproofed up so I'm not worried. It would be kinda sucky though. It was nice, I got up here before it got dark and was able to set up camp and fix dinner. I did see some mountain lion tracks when I went to go hang my food up away from camp. Its got me thinking about it but it doesn't change things. I'm here regardless, so I'm not really going to worry about it. Its funny to be up here and hear all the city noise. I can hear car alarms as if there were next to me, as well as engines reving. Its pretty cool. I hope I get up before sunrise. It would be an awesome sight to see the sun rising over the city. I'm posting from my phone so no pics yet, sorry.

Awesome report Dave!! Keep it coming!

When are you going to be in Albuquerque? Shoot me a PM and maybe we can hook up for a cold one or two! I've got a 47,000 mile 650L which has done a lot of riding in the southwest as well and love hearing your accounts of many of the same places I've ridden.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #124
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

PM sent.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #125
Stovebolt
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer: 459
Go ShooterDave, go.....

Stovey
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-jankowsky/86/31/b04
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #126
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,076
Old 04-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #127
Dez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Dave - Awesome pictures!! Keep 'em coming. Man am I jealous. I wish I had an oppurtunity to do something like that but when you get married, have kids and a mortgage it's tough. Enjoy every minute of it!

On a side note, what model Acerbis hand guards are you running?
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #128
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
Dave - Awesome pictures!! Keep 'em coming. Man am I jealous. I wish I had an oppurtunity to do something like that but when you get married, have kids and a mortgage it's tough. Enjoy every minute of it!

On a side note, what model Acerbis hand guards are you running?

To be honest I'm not quite sure. I got a little KTM addition to them when in Jackson WY. Now they block the wind better. Although now I'm out of the cold for the most part, but I still like them.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #129
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,632
Dave, it was great meeting you and having dinner tonight and hearing more about your journey and plans. I wish you the best of luck on the rest of your adventure!!!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #130
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,224
Great trip SD

Hey SD, awesome RR. Great choice of bike for your trip. I love the BRP. Guaranteed you won't have to deal with any down time due to the bike. Hangovers are another story. Thanks for bringing us along and keep up the superb pics.
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:48 AM   #131
9secondflat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
gotta love that sign "no fishing" yeah...got about 200 yards on the spool to reach the water???

but did you bring your bungee? that would make one hell of a bungee drop...yeeeeehhhhhhaaaawwwww!!!

Quote:
Well its only been a few days, but I thought I’d update anyways since I have the net. I didn’t really do much. I left Mike’s place in a light drizzle. By the way it was an awesome stay. Thanks so much Mike. I headed down to Colorado Springs to meet up with some of my relatives. I got to them just as they were having dinner at their granddaughter’s house. We hung out there then I followed them to their hotel. I offered to sleep in my sleeping bag on the floor, but Jim wouldn’t hear of it. So I slept in one of the beds. It was nice to get a shower and sleep in a bed. We went to church the next morning. Once we got back I loaded up and headed out. Now I really need to do an oil change so I went to the Walmart that was near their hotel. The one I went to on my Yosemite trip had some Motorcycle oil. This one… nadda. So I road over to the next nearest one. Nadda. Man that town has 3 Walmart Super Centers within 20 miles of each other. It was getting later and I was getting annoyed so I just took off. I figured that I could do it when I get down to Albuquerque New Mexico. Its only about 300 miles, she will be fine. I decided to go and see the Royal Gorge. On the way there I stopped to have dinner. While I was eating I decided to look around for motorcycle shops, so I could get oil. I found a shop up in Salida… nice. Just on a whim I decided to see if there were any ADV riders in the area via the tent space thread. Well what do you know, there is one in Salida. How cool. Off you go email. I got back to my bike and noticed a missed call. Its was him. They said I was welcome to come stay with them. So tonight I am staying at the home of Duke and Tami. It is an awesome place with a shower and bed to sleep in. The gorge costs $14 dollars to go across the bridge. Below are some pics from the bridge and of the ride to Duke’s.

White buffalo anyone???

Ok so technically the bike wasn’t allowed up at the viewing point, but there was nobody around and by golly I paid my $14 danggit.

Sunset on the way into Salida.

My trip so far.

Next stop major stop is Albuquerque New Mexico. Don’t know how long ill take to get there, but we will see….
9secondflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:59 AM   #132
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Looking good Dave! What tires are you using for the trip? Hope to catch you passing through the east in a couple weeks.

John
Old 04-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #133
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

I'm running a D606 for the rear at the moment. I think the front is a trail tech of some kind. It works good on the street and OK on the dirt. I do know that I will be needing a new set very soon as they are both getting pretty worn.

Right now I'm at a rest stop waiting for this head wind to die down. I'm at wide open throttle and barely breaking 65mph. Hopefully I can continue on my way to the VLA soon. That's the place with those huge satellite dishes on tracks all around the desert.

ShooterDave screwed with this post 04-21-2010 at 03:06 PM
Old 04-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #134
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
I'm running a D606 for the rear at the moment. I think the front is a trail tech of some kind. It works good on the street and OK on the dirt. I do know that I will be needing a new set very soon as they are both very worn.
Hey Dave

Don't forget the rear...tire... I have for you. Let me know if you want it dropped somewhere otherwise you can have it when you come through Ohio.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #135
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Well dude I know I will probably need a new one once I get to that area. I know ill need 1 maybe 2 rears by the that time. So just keep it there for me and if I need it ill take it, if not than ill take it with me until I do. Ha ha thanks again man.

Well then tonight ill be staying at a cool rest stop off the 25 just north of the 60 west. It has some pretty cool raised rooms. No doors, so I just hid the bike in the only room with a door... The vending machine room. He he he. Unfortunately the food one is broken. Ha ha. O well I'm in here with her out of the wind. That's all the really matters anyways. The dishes will have been closed by the time I got there, so ill just wait till tomorrow. Also even though this wind is ridable in, I'd rather stay here then run her at wide open throttle. O well no big deal.