Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2004, 03:54 PM   #1
LKYPHL OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Vancouver - Anchorage

G'day all.

A group of us are planning a ride from Vancouver to Anchorage (and points further north) next June/July.

We'll be in holiday mode, riding up the Cassier and stopping to look at the sights along the way. We wish to book some accomodation in Anchorage a few months in advance, so how long do you reckon the trip from Vancouver to Anchorage should take ? Ten days ? Twelve ? Eight ?

Are there any not-to-be-missed highlights we should detour to see ?

Thanks for any suggestions !
LKYPHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:27 AM   #2
canuck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Hey there,

Sounds like a great trip. June can be a funny month in this part of the world. Going over the mountain passes can be snow filled. If you can wait until late June or July you would have no problems.

I have never ridden to Anchorage so can't really answer your question, but if you need any assistance in Vancouver let me know.

canuck
canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:43 AM   #3
RDJEff
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
If you plan on venturing farther north, look me up. I'm in Fairbanks, and can offer some help and advice, both for free!
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:46 AM   #4
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,038
Ride it...

Hello,
I start by saying that I live only 1.5 hours away from the junction to the stewart/Cassiar. I have done this trip for the past two years ( home to Alaska and Inuvic ) We do it mid June. Found this to be the best time. Very little tourists, low rate for hotels and the country to yourselves. I will be doing it again in 05 same time. I wouldn't worry about booking hotels. Lots to choose from. Bring extra tires. Might need good rain gear. Be prepared for anything. Long lonely roads. Need help OR tires change on the way up contact me.
If you need info let me know. PM me. I can help out with questions.

Ride Safe,
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKYPHL
G'day all.

A group of us are planning a ride from Vancouver to Anchorage (and points further north) next June/July.

We'll be in holiday mode, riding up the Cassier and stopping to look at the sights along the way. We wish to book some accomodation in Anchorage a few months in advance, so how long do you reckon the trip from Vancouver to Anchorage should take ? Ten days ? Twelve ? Eight ?

Are there any not-to-be-missed highlights we should detour to see ?

Thanks for any suggestions !
kildala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
BARB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
3-5 days depending on weather. Remember, it's light about 20 hours a day so you tend to ride later. Still can be very cold at elevation, especially if raining. Roads are great, get a milepost. Stop at Alaska Leather when you come to Anchorage. Are you camping or hoteling? Go the the Dust to Dawson thread and check in-alot of advice and opinion there. The entire trip is scenic. Barb
BARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:14 PM   #6
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
Cool2 the ride

If you can make it to Dawson Yukon in june 17th or 18th there and about there will be a bunch of riders there mostly from Anchorage for the dust to Dawson ride fun tobe had by all! I can help with bike repair if needed my shops in Wasilla AK thats about 50 north of Anchorage my web site is www.abbeyauto.com
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:07 PM   #7
LKYPHL OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies.

Canuck, we're shipping our bikes into and out from Vancouver, so we'll be there for a couple of days - we'll try to at least catch up for a yarn and a cold one.

RDJEFF, we're planning to ride up to the Arctic Circle for the obligatory photo, so we'll say g'day on the way through Fairbanks.

Rick, we'll be taking a couple of spare tyres and the necessary gear to change and inflate 'em. We've got plenty of long, lonely roads here in Oz, so we're pretty used to that. And we'll certainly be bringing rain gear and heated clothing !

BARB, we have a copy of the Milepost, as well as numerous other useful publications and maps. We'll be both camping and hotelling. Not looking forward to the mozzies too much, though. We're planning a 4 or 5 day break in Anchorage, as a couple of blokes want to spend a few days fly-in fly-out salmon fishing, so we'll certainly drop in to Alaska Leather whilst we're there !

mike, thanks for the offer. We may not be in Dawson by then, but perhaps we can change our schedule to include the ride.

Phil (and Mal, Dave, Dave, Neville, and John)
Old 10-20-2004, 03:47 PM   #8
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Great.

Hey Phil,
Keep me informed and maybe I will meet you at Kitwanga junction for a coffee before you head-up.

Ride Safe,
Rick

Rick, we'll be taking a couple of spare tyres and the necessary gear to change and inflate 'em. We've got plenty of long, lonely roads here in Oz, so we're pretty used to that. And we'll certainly be bringing rain gear and heated clothing !
Old 10-20-2004, 04:00 PM   #9
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,724
Arctic Circle

When you say you want to ride to the Arctic Circle do you mean by way of the Dempster Hwy to Inuvic or by way of the Northslope haul road? Different rides but the same Arctic Circle.

You could consider doing a guided fishing trip on the Kenai river in Soldotna, AK. World record king salmon (97lbs.) caught in that river. Half day guided king salmon charters are about $125.00 US per person. Usually 4 to 5 hour trips. The ride from Anchorage to Soldotna is 2.5 hours of really nice country.
From Soldotna you could continue down to Homer and do a Halibut fishing charter. On the way back to Anchorage you could also take a side trip to Seward, AK and do another fishing charter for Halibut and Salmon.

Just thought you could ride and fish on an almost daily basis rather than fly out and leave you bikes all alone.

If possible do consider riding to Anchorage by way of Dawson in the Yukon.
Like Frier Mike said a group of about 30 riders from Anchorage make the ride each year to spend the longest day of the year in the bars......I mean in Dawson. I believe the plan for this year is to be in Dawson on the 16th. Spend the day of the 17th of June touring and riding the old mining roads
around Dawson. Than on the 18th leave Dawson for Tok, Ak and on the 19th
ride from Tok to Anchorage. It would be great to have you guys along.

Check out akrider.com for some ride ideas. (and no I am not connected with Phil at akrider)

Need more information just ask.....Lots of people here know the road better than I do.

Dennis

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:06 PM   #10
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,724
Ps

Check out ......and the radio played Alaska.....the thread is in the "ride reports pics, pics, pics" section. Written by antware. Great report and beautiful pictures of his trip to Alaska. It should wet your appetite for your travels to the Great Land.

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 06:33 PM   #11
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,158
I'll be coming up about mid june as well. Be nice to see some others this time.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 08:51 AM   #12
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Ride North

Hello Marty,

If I can get time off work again this year in mid June me and a friend will be heading up that way for the third year in a row. If you are heading up the Stewart/Cassiar drop me a line before you head up and maybe we can meet for coffee at Kitwanga.

Ride Safe.
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill
I'll be coming up about mid june as well. Be nice to see some others this time.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:14 AM   #13
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,158
Will do. That is the way I'm heading. Took the alcan last time...boring.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:34 AM   #14
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,614
Well as a life long Alaskan I would agree with everything said so far except that the Alaska Highway is boreing. I love that road. Feels like an all day ski run only it lasts three days and has beautiful sceenery almost the whole way. Lots of wild life along the road, last time I lost count of how many bear and carabou I saw. Just one dull part south of Fort Nelson for 200 miles.

About the fishing. I have a plane and have found that you have to fly for hours to get to a place with out hoards of other fishermen if what you want is salmon. This wil equate to lots of $ if you want to get away from it all and catch fish too. As mentioned above, I would concider fishing the Keani or better yet do a trip on the Kasiloff in a drift boat. All days are drift only on the Kasiloff and Mondays are drift only on the Keani. Really a relaxing way to fish and we have always gotten a King or two that way (on the Kasiloff). The best guide I have seen on the Kisiloff is a woman who's name I don't know, but I think she is the only female guide on the river. She out fishes us by about 5 to one. The halibut charters out of Homer and Seward are fun and you have the chance to catch some very large fish, like 300+ lbs. I will help you eat the halibut and even cook it for you if you bring some over.

Pm me when you have some definate dates for when you will be in Anchorage. There is a B+B near my office, the propriater has 2 BMWs and is a good guy. I can put you in touch with him when your ready. There is also a nice B+B just down the street from me. Much nicer than staying in a hotel.

You may want to contact Barb ahead of time. She sells tires among other things and she'll have them waiting if you let her know in advance.

Have a fun trip Bear
AK Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #15
LKYPHL OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, Bear.
I'll PM you closer to the date and hopefully we can meet up when we're there !