ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #16
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,649
So no gravel at all?
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #17
emohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I responded on the KY_ADV list, but I thought I'd post on here too. I'll see you guys between 5:30 and 6pm. I'm a novice rider at this point, and still gearing up, so I'll be the awkward looking guy on the green KLR.

emohn screwed with this post 04-14-2010 at 06:17 PM
emohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #18
DualHabit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Hey Jeff,

You know of any gravel somewhere close to town? I know of a couple little patched here and there, and a creek crossing or two, but nothing very long. Usually takes a little longer ride to make it to any good stuff.
DualHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #19
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualHabit
Hey Jeff,

You know of any gravel somewhere close to town? I know of a couple little patched here and there, and a creek crossing or two, but nothing very long. Usually takes a little longer ride to make it to any good stuff.

Not really, I was hoping that you did.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #20
DualHabit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice ride tonight guys! It was great to meet some locals riders.

Thinking about riding down to Leitchfield, KY on Sunday to check out a TRIALS competition. Don't have all the specifics just yet, but will post when I do. I just picked-up a trials bike this winter and want to see how the gifted ride them.

Also, any route suggestions from Louisville are welcome.

-Jerry
Old 04-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #21
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,771
Thanks Jerry - What a great evening!

4 riders left downtown Louisville at around 6:00 and once out of the evening rush we had 2 hours of fast paced twistys in the southern IN. country side. Finished up at the Widow's Walk ice cream parlor in old Clarksville on the river.

Nice to meet you Eric & Pat.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #22
emohn
Adventurer

What a fantastic evening of riding with you guys. Jerry was an excellent guide and took us through some great scenic and challenging roads around southern Indiana. At least they were a challenge for me - with all of 5-6 weeks of riding under my belt. You guys made it look easy.

Great mix of bikes, too. A (1200GS?) BMW, KLR650, DRZ400SM, and a WR250R.

I've got a GPS track of the ride if anyone's interested. I hadn't realized we made that big of a loop.

Thanks again for organizing this! It was great meeting the three of you, Mark, Jerry, and Pat. I doubt I'll be able to make it down to Leitchfield on Sunday, but I'm definitely up for riding again next Thursday evening.

-Erik
Old 04-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #23
jerryc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Any of you guys riding the Lap of Ky 2010? I also rode it last year and loved it and am planning on ridding it this year.
Jerry
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #24
emohn
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc
Any of you guys riding the Lap of Ky 2010? I also rode it last year and loved it and am planning on ridding it this year.
Jerry
I haven't sent in my registration yet, but I plan to now that I'm getting more comfortable doing long stints in the saddle.

On an unrelated note, I went out this morning for a solo ride down towards Bardstown/Clermont and wound around through bourbon country a bit. The section of Harrison Fork to Mount Carmel Church Road is a good mix of paved, gravel, and dirt with three stream crossings. I had a great time, but need to figure out some other roads to take to/from that area to keep me from doing such long, straight runs down Hwy 61, etc. I'll do some digging around in MapSource this week and see if I can't string together a route that will give about 2 hours of scenic, winding roads without all that straight-line slab riding.

Link to the map from my ride this morning: http://bit.ly/aQnHvz

-Erik
Old 04-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #25
DualHabit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lap Of Ky

What is the date of LOK and where can I find a registration form?

Hey Eric, 2 hours is perfect for a little weeknight action

Also, I was talking with a friend out in Starlight, IN and he is going to show me a couple areas to get off the pavement for awhile. In fact, we rode past these areas last Thursday. So, next were out for a ride we may have some options.

-Jerry
Old 04-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #26
jerryc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualHabit
What is the date of LOK and where can I find a registration form?

Hey Eric, 2 hours is perfect for a little weeknight action

Also, I was talking with a friend out in Starlight, IN and he is going to show me a couple areas to get off the pavement for awhile. In fact, we rode past these areas last Thursday. So, next were out for a ride we may have some options.

-Jerry
See if this works let me know if it don't
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kyadvr...2261/item/list
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #27
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by emohn
I haven't sent in my registration yet, but I plan to now that I'm getting more comfortable doing long stints in the saddle.

On an unrelated note, I went out this morning for a solo ride down towards Bardstown/Clermont and wound around through bourbon country a bit. The section of Harrison Fork to Mount Carmel Church Road is a good mix of paved, gravel, and dirt with three stream crossings. I had a great time, but need to figure out some other roads to take to/from that area to keep me from doing such long, straight runs down Hwy 61, etc. I'll do some digging around in MapSource this week and see if I can't string together a route that will give about 2 hours of scenic, winding roads without all that straight-line slab riding.

Link to the map from my ride this morning: http://bit.ly/aQnHvz

-Erik
Love that road. I wish the road to the right just after the first crossing was open. I think it connects over to Bernheim.

John
Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #28
emohn
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
Love that road. I wish the road to the right just after the first crossing was open. I think it connects over to Bernheim.

John
John,

According to Garmin's Topo US 2008, it's called Wilson Creek Rd and it does continue over into the Bernheim network of roads - but yeah, it was gated off and posted 'No Trespassing', as were pretty much all of the turn-offs along Harrison Fork/Mt Carmel Church.

Any chance you know of some other good dual-sport riding around Mt Washington, Shepherdsville, or out in Nelson or Spencer Counties? I'm not looking for single-track or anything extremely technical, but something that offers a bit more variety than 4 lane Hwys 61, 245, and 44 would be appreciated.

-Erik
Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #29
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by emohn
John,

According to Garmin's Topo US 2008, it's called Wilson Creek Rd and it does continue over into the Bernheim network of roads - but yeah, it was gated off and posted 'No Trespassing', as were pretty much all of the turn-offs along Harrison Fork/Mt Carmel Church.

Any chance you know of some other good dual-sport riding around Mt Washington, Shepherdsville, or out in Nelson or Spencer Counties? I'm not looking for single-track or anything extremely technical, but something that offers a bit more variety than 4 lane Hwys 61, 245, and 44 would be appreciated.

-Erik
Let me think about that. There aren't many left, if any these days. Kentucky has quite the history of road building corruption with the politicians and businessmen conspiring to pave it all. Someone on Road Dads ride last fall said that KY spent their money on roads and IN spent it on schools. I wasn't sure at the time if that was some sort of unintended slur on our fine state but it had a ring of truth to it.

I was down in that area last summer and stumbled onto Harrison Fork. I was sorely tempted to go around the gate but didn't. It would be a good place to have an electric cycle. Totally silent. Knob State forest has a gravel road into it but doesn't go very far, maybe 2 miles before you hit a gate. I ran into a hunter on a mountain bike on that road. He was totally covered in camo, even his rifle was camo. I think he had been around that gate just before I came up on him.

John
Old 04-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #30
DualHabit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Weather looks good for Thursday, but the weekend might be a little sketchy. I'm planning to ride Thursday after work and would like to get in around 2 hrs...meet sometime between 5:30-6:00 pm. I don't have an exact route planned, if anyone has something they want to do -- otherwise I'll try to find some nice twisties and maybe a little gravel.

-Jerry