User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2004, 07:23 AM   #1
dank OP
Hippo Hands

Oddometer: 3
Hippohands

For those members that inquired previously: I have now in stock custom fitted winter handlebar muffs for most models. Please see them at www.hippohands.com.
dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 09:51 AM   #2
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,637
It looks like a nice idea. It is too bad they aren't water proof though. That is the one thing that would keep me from buying them.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:08 AM   #3
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,854
As discussed in the flea market thread, these things are fantastic. I run them all winter- summer gloves into the 30's, even with precipitation, and winter gloves into the teens.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:34 AM   #4
Dysco
Whackaducker

Oddometer: 16,026
"Our handlebar muffs ("toasty muffs") are manufactured with the latest technology in textiles available. They are made of 100% exterior, with a coating of polyurethane for water-resistance, and 100% polyester polar fleece lining for warmth.

Our handlebar muffs are fairly water resistant, but we don't sell them as water proof items. They are meant to keep your hands warm, by creating a pocket of still air around your motorcycle controls. Yet, they will dry very quickly even if completely soaked in a rainstorm, being ready to be used again overnight. On the other hand, "Hippo Hands" with "faux fur" as lining material, did take much longer to dry out after getting soaked in a rainy ride."

Has anyone tried to waterproof them? I'm REALLY particular when it comes to sticking my hands into two ice pockets to ride 30 miles to/from work. Buildup of ice on the outside will happen but if it soaks through it could ice up my controls, etc.
Dysco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:45 AM   #5
luv2lean
not lost til out of gas

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank
For those members that inquired previously: I have now in stock custom fitted winter handlebar muffs for most models. Please see them at www.hippohands.com.
What is the price for the "hippo hands" and "toasty muffs" to fit something with acerbis hand guards like a xr650r??
luv2lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 06:45 PM   #6
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank
DANK - I bought one of your early pairs of Toasty-muffs about 3 yrs ago for my R1150GS - have you modified the design to make them easy-on/off without removing the mirrors?
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 09:43 AM   #7
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco
"Our handlebar muffs ("toasty muffs") are manufactured with the latest technology in textiles available. They are made of 100% exterior, with a coating of polyurethane for water-resistance, and 100% polyester polar fleece lining for warmth.

Our handlebar muffs are fairly water resistant, but we don't sell them as water proof items. They are meant to keep your hands warm, by creating a pocket of still air around your motorcycle controls. Yet, they will dry very quickly even if completely soaked in a rainstorm, being ready to be used again overnight. On the other hand, "Hippo Hands" with "faux fur" as lining material, did take much longer to dry out after getting soaked in a rainy ride."

Has anyone tried to waterproof them? I'm REALLY particular when it comes to sticking my hands into two ice pockets to ride 30 miles to/from work. Buildup of ice on the outside will happen but if it soaks through it could ice up my controls, etc.
I've got a pair and water proofing hasn't really been a problem as the material is good - there can be leaks from where they wrap around the handle bars and mirrors. The muffs, a good pair of thin waterproofed leather gloves and my heated grips is all I need for all winter riding.
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
Old 10-23-2004, 10:53 AM   #8
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by eap
DANK - I bought one of your early pairs of Toasty-muffs about 3 yrs ago for my R1150GS - have you modified the design to make them easy-on/off without removing the mirrors?
I bought a pair more recently, and you don't have to remove the mirrors to install them.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:25 PM   #9
chuckh
Carpe Diem

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCeeGS
I bought a pair more recently, and you don't have to remove the mirrors to install them.
Dan's hand covers work excellent. If you've bought them in the last 2 years then you'll not need to remove your mirrors. Or, modify the attachment by adding a slit and 2 pieces of velcro.

Don't worry about Dan's non-water proofness claims. His hand covers work great, keep your hands dry and warm.

And, they are a bargain price. It takes all of about 30 seconds to install and then ride with these hand covers. Winter riding means wearing Summer weight Held gloves and nothing more. Dry and warm! Great Product!!!

I used these on my return ride from Hyder, AK last year in a deluge. My hands were dry and warm.

I also use them all Winter riding here in NE Washington near the Canadian border. Thanks Dan.
chuckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 08:42 PM   #10
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,637
Okay, ordered. I'm going to give them a shot. I've even gotten praise for them as a PM, so it sounds like a good product. The e grips weren't cutting it today.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 09:30 PM   #11
ridetwistyroads
tailwind please

Oddometer: 2,036
These look like they might be a better option then putting hand guards on, as I've had a hard time finding guards for an '01 r1100r. Been ok with some heavy gloves so far, but it's only dropped into the low 40's so far.

Let us know whatcha think Stag......
(Of course, all the previous feedback is fairly convincing!)
ridetwistyroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 10:59 PM   #12
Magicdragon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I noticed on the Hippohands website that the 1100GS is conspicuously absent from the list of models they are available for. I'm not familiar with the 1150GS handlebar layout. Would the fitment be the same?
Magicdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 11:18 PM   #13
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
Okay, ordered. I'm going to give them a shot. I've even gotten praise for them as a PM, so it sounds like a good product. The e grips weren't cutting it today.
They're much better than bulky gloves and they've kept me drier anything I've worn on my hands--the water would always wick its way into the gloves or up my sleeve before long in heavy rain.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:08 AM   #14
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetwistyroads
These look like they might be a better option then putting hand guards on, as I've had a hard time finding guards for an '01 r1100r. Been ok with some heavy gloves so far, but it's only dropped into the low 40's so far.

Let us know whatcha think Stag......
(Of course, all the previous feedback is fairly convincing!)
I'f you ride a R1150GS, they're made to fit over the handguards - and the set I got were roomy enought to fit over my buddies R1100GS (Cerbis) hand guards as well. But check with DAnK before ordering.