User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
800 vrs my 1200gsa ?

I know this is a common comparison I currently am on my second GS , its a 09 gsa, but am considering a 800gs. How do you guys like the 800 on the road ? off the road ? My gsa is a bit of a tank, and fully loaded it takes me and the girlfriend to right it after I dump it in the sand. I am going to test ride one, but that isnt going to tell me how it is after a 600 mile day, or a day of single tracking, but you guys can .
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Came from a 1200 also

Highly prefer the F800GS over the 1200...MUCH better off road....much easier to pickup.

Rides fine on pavement....plenty of speed.....ONLY one problem for you.

Two UP might be a comfort issue for your lady friend....do at least a two hr demo ride on an F800GS with the girlfriend on the back. That may not pass the test. I would not want a passenger on my F800.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,638
Yeah 600 mile day with your girlfriend! I guess you don't want her to be your girlfriend any more! If you plan on doing more off road than on road then you will like the 800. If you plan on doing 600 mile days 2 up on a regular basis then you will be disappointed in the 800.
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
syaufu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
miles

I am not even sure I would want to be on the front end of an 800 for 600 miles in 1 day..
syaufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #5
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
I've ridden mine two up an a few occasions and both of us found it fine, girlie liked the panniers where they were, she liked the seat/seating position, leaning on the swag ect, although i can only compare it to a CBR two up which was shithouse. We wouldn't be much more than 300lb combined, i also don't have a problem doing long days on the stock seat like others do so thats two variables.
Thats what i think of it, i test rode a 1200 and hated it. What do i think you should do... probably get the 1200GS but make sure you test the 800 first.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:07 AM   #6
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I went with the f800gs because of the "more off road", but at the end of the day it is a big road big which is capable of fitting off road tires. After riding a 1200gs I feel I could get a lot further down a single track on the 8 then the 12, but not many people even attempt that on either bike. Most so called dirt riding is unsealed roads and fire trails. I run d606 on mine and get over 8000km out of the front and rear, but I'm very easy on tires. If considering either bike also have a look at the f650gs twin as the tubeless tires are a big plus and still plenty of tire selection with the 19" front wheel, also you will save your self a bit of cash. Good luck with your choice, both the 12 and 8 are great bikes you'll enjoy which ever you go with.
chadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #7
reofix
yes we can

Oddometer: 12
how I see it

I stepped up to the 1200 because i realised that 99% of my riding is actually on roads (tar and gravel ) and the big bike just eats the miles ... I only ever drop it on adventure rides with mates around to give me shit( and that is only at the really ugly 5% of the 1% I do off road ( that works out to 5% 0f 1% of 25K a year .... ie 12.5 km a year I need an 800)
Its a bit like buying 4wd tyres ( I think I need 80/20's for the grass verge)
reofix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:48 AM   #8
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 529
the 800 is no dirtbike

It's somewhat lighter and much more ergonomically suited to offroad, but I don't find the 800 is really that much more capable offroad than the bigger GS - it's still a really big bike with geometry better suited to the road than the woods. And as for two up, loaded, long black-top days the bigger bike has many, significant advantages, check my sig for my best solution. As always, the actual type of off-roading you do has a big impact YMMV.

The 800 is a fabulous bike - you should definitely ride one to decide.
d
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:01 AM   #9
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you all,
I only have to drive myself, she rides her own, so that eliminates one certain issue. My 1200 is great on road bike and good on hard pack, its just a bit of a tank. I think I need to get out to a dealer and just drive the 800 and see what the gut tells me.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 AM   #10
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn
Thank you all,
I only have to drive myself, she rides her own, so that eliminates one certain issue. My 1200 is great on road bike and good on hard pack, its just a bit of a tank. I think I need to get out to a dealer and just drive the 800 and see what the gut tells me.
You also have to see that some people here who say the F800GS doesn't feel that much lighter off road than a R12GS compare with the GS, not the GSA. Which is a huge difference as the GSA is quite a bit heavier and carries the weight pretty high with that monster tank.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #11
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Your gut may tell you what mine did. I couldn't wait to ride an 800GS, because I love that engine in the F800ST, but I've never been so disappointed in a bike on a test ride. I might try riding one again someday, to give it a second chance.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by syaufu
I am not even sure I would want to be on the front end of an 800 for 600 miles in 1 day..
Not on the stock seat, but swap it for any of the much better aftermarket offerings and its no longer unrealistic.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #13
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS
Not on the stock seat, but swap it for any of the much better aftermarket offerings and its no longer unrealistic.
My wife had no problems sitting for 8 hours on the F800GS stock seat. Not very comfortable, but not problematic either. It was much worse for me.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #14
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Some can do it some can't, i cope fine with no more than a small sheepskin seat cover. Others cant sit through more than an hour of the tourture their seat puts them through, makes me wonder if the dealer has an option for people they dislike.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #15
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ahh- agreed, everyone is different, I rode my vfr 2400miles in a weekend, no problem (well a gut ache- I tend to snack alot when doin 1000 mi days-the key to iron butt, advil and red vines) , the guy who ended up with the bike says he cant do a 400 mile day. So to each their own. I guess the sex appeal to the 800 for me is the lighter weight. Its a tough call until I test ride. I owned my last GS for nearly 100,000mi and weather I keep this 09 that currently has 14000 on it or swap to another bike, I want to keep it for the long haul, so it needs to suit me well.
Here is a very stupid question but I have to ask- is the 800 a rotax engine ? I thought I had heard BMW started making it themselfs a couple years ago ? not that it matters, rotax makes some killer aircraft engines.