User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
BMW_BIKER_KEITH OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Eh? F800GS - Heat from Radiator +suckz+

Yo mates, I am still learning all the ins&outs of my new F8ooGS. Overall It am very happy with the handling, performance, etc. Still not had time to get in the dirt..,,..,, but will soon.

One thing I noticed after about a 25 to 30 highway mile ride is that the HEAT from the radiator expells over both my knees and really gets WARM (no.... its friggin HOT). Thats just riding with Jeans... HOW miserable is it going to be with padded riding pants like a pair of Rev'its ...?

Now on a cool winter's ride, thats an asset. But I didnt buy this bike to ride in winter. I am thinking that most all my summer riding is going to be miserable with regards to the HUGE amount of heat thats direct right at my knees. I am suprised there is NOT an on-going thread on this.

Has anyone experimented with those deflectors that are sold in the aftermarket? Has anyone come up with a better solution? I realize radiator heat must exit somewhere, but ON me... on a HOT Summer's day?
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Eh?

Been there done that:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467021

I have no issues with mine, rode all last summer and barely noticed. But then again, I don't wear jeans. The riding pants seem to deflect it better as well.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I think the consensus was that the riding pants actually improve the situation, although it seems counter intuitive.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Yeah ive ridden a fair bit in 100+ 70%+ humidity days without problems, the only time i noticed it and it botherd me was on a short trip to the shops still wearing vented MX nylons, i don't think there are options here just live with it im afraid.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
I think the consensus was that the riding pants actually improve the situation, although it seems counter intuitive.
I have no problems in jeans or BMW Airflow riding pants. With jeans and in cold temperature I use neoprene knee protectors. But it doesn't matter: the heat doesn't bother me at all.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,778
I'd have to concur with the OP on this one. While riding in temps any warmer than 70-75 degrees F, it feels like two hot air dryers are being pointed at inside of my legs. This happens at speeds any higher than 25 mph or so, even up to freeway speeds. All F650GS2/F800GS's do it. It's normal. All of the heat from the extremely large radiator and the engine block escapes out of the sides of this bike and right on to the legs of the rider. If you're not feeling it, you're not riding fast enough or it's not warm enough in your neck of the woods! Either way, they all do it and it's normal. These same words have come out of my BMW tech's mouth as well.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,792
Hear, hear! Same “problem” with my F650gsT. I will admit all that heat felt great this past winter, we had a pretty cold one for our standards and the heat felt great on my legs. Can’t say the same in the summer, but feeling that heat did help me with a problem I had with the bike on two occasions.

For some reason air got into my cooling system. The first time it caught me by surprise. In traffic the bike overheated, I shut it down 3 times so the temp could go back to normal (it did not overheat while riding, only if idling in traffic) until I reached the dealer where they simply bled the air out of the radiator/cooling system. The whole time the bike blew out cold air from the radiator, no heat at all, it actually felt like cool air. The second time (1wk later) I felt cold air blowing from the radiator and I knew right away I had air in the cooling system again, and within 20 minutes or so, when stopped/idling the heat gage went up. I stopped, simply bled the cooling system again and all went back to normal. It has not happened since, but if the hot air ever stops blowing on my legs I will know there is a problem with the cooling system.

Maybe they designed the bike that way as to warn us of a problem with the cooling system

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,812
Yeah, of course, I'm not riding over 25mph and I'm not living in California. So I don't feel the heat. You obviously know what you're talking about.

Let's put it that way: It just doesn't bother me as I have riding pants on for longer trips and around town I don't give a shit about a little heat at my legs. Maybe I'm just not as prissy with regard to heat as I am wrt buffeting
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
It do get hot occasionally, especially the boots up against the engine.

When it gets uncomfortable I move my feet out on the pegs and the hot air blows through. Also installed highway pegs which really bring relief.
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
danman
tumbling tumbleweed

Oddometer: 166
I get hot air from mine also. Its a bitch in shorts, but in proper riding pants it doesn't seem to be a problem. I thought about installing these BMW wind deflectors;

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=47919

but I decided it would only make the problem worse. A buddy of mine bought a used 800 and it had the wind deflectors installed. And indeed, it was way worse, because it deflected the 'cooler' ambient air away from the rider, so you got all the heat from the radiator, instead of just some of the heat mixed with the cooler air. I have thought about putting some black aluminum foil in the cut outs in the faring, trying to deflect the heat downward. Seems I get more heat out of the right side than the left for some reason.
danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #11
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH
But I didnt buy this bike to ride in winter.
How you you get around???