User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
ColoRider49 OP
Mountain Rider

Oddometer: 66
Colorado in April - Rollins Pass and a good friend

Well, it's April and in Colorado that means either 70 degree days or 3 foot snowstorms. Luckily, we caught a 70 degree day. Cabeza Grande and I decided to hit Rollins Pass to see how far we could get before the snow stopped us on the trail. Last weekend started with a maintenance day of oil changes and clutch bleeds. Cabeza is new to this whole dual sport thing, but he's got the bug......the same bug all of us caught a long time ago. It was my sworn duty to show him why he made a smart choice.

The characters:

Cabeza Grande:

ColoRider49:

Like I said, this was an ad-hoc weekend plan that came together as a result of one of us needing a long needed getaway, and the other being the gracious host and confidant. A marriage of 15 years on the rocks calls for good friends and good times. Anything to take the mind off of the pain and guilt......

We wrenched for a day in Cabeza's garage, drinking beer, and listening to some good Johnny Cash and various country mixes. The therapy of the aforementioned activities were almost as beneficial as the ride that would follow on the following Sunday.

The weather is always dicey in CO in April, but we caught a good window and headed to Rollinsville, took a left, and went as far as we could before the avalanches across the trail turned us back. Regardless, we got 4 or 5 hours of good riding on dirt, and some even better conversation about all the things that really matter.

Thanks Jug!

A herd of elk in the meadow along the way:

After a nice breakfast in Blackhawk, we hit the trail. Not too bad up to this point. Nice and dry......

This wasn't a long ride, or an epic one by any means. However, given the circumstances of what's going on in the other parts of our lives, it was worth millions. Getting out with a friend you've known for 20 years and showing him "my church" on a Sunday, and getting some perspective on what's really important was the most important thing of the whole day.

Cabeza is new to the sport, and the proud owner of a sweet 640 Adventure, and did great on his 4th time on dirt. However, he's a veteran of being a good friend and knowing that a ride like this is just what the doctor ordered.

More rides like this to come.

'06 KTM 950 Adventure
'12 Ducati Multistrada ABS
ColoRider49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
My kinda church... in the Colorado temple! Looks like a good time.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
ziepan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 608
Nice, you guys go to the same church as me.
ziepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,641
Finally....someone with a good taste in music.

Nice bikes too!
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
ColoRider49 OP
Mountain Rider

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob
Finally....someone with a good taste in music.

Nice bikes too!
Thanks on the bikes......but the music was his choice. His garage, his choice in music.

'06 KTM 950 Adventure
'12 Ducati Multistrada ABS
ColoRider49 is offline   Reply With Quote