Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 04:39 AM   #16
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,093
I vaguely remember being there...and if I remember right, IT WAS FUN!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #17
phil d.
wandering aimlessly

Oddometer: 15
Special Thanks to Doc Lewall.

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...view=slideshow
phil d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,038
Interrupted because of Kansas youth turkey season.

This is my 10 year old nephew, George. This was his first turkey hunt. He got this bird at 7:00 PM after hunting all day. I'm proud of him for working all day for this bird. He will never forget it.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #19
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Friday afternoon and into Friday night it rained over an inch. That was on already saturated ground.

Saturday morning I met up with three Back Roads Touring Kansas Riders Backroads Link , Bob, Phil and JC. Soon arrived the indefinable Doc who would be our guide today. Doc gave a brief description of the ride he planned and review safety. There were a number of questions how muddy the roads would be and how deep the crossings would be. I think most were asked by me.

I’m a little nervous about the mud and riding in a group. Last weekend I was riding in KS and this happened.

This happened not once but 4 or 5 times and when it happens my pig likes to lie in the mud. Cleaning it out takes time. Picking it up is exhausting.

One reason I have never been on a group ride (except as the leader) is because I have always ridden alone and not sure how my skills would match up with other riders (on more nimble bikes). I did not want to be the one frustrating all the other riders so I stayed away. This was going to be my first ride where I was not in control of where we were going and at what speed. This was another reason I had butterflies in my stomach when we left the motel grounds and the City of Eureka Springs. By default, I ended up riding sweep.

We are off on a quick pace heading south. Considering all the rain the roads are in remarkably good shape. If this is what the roads are like all day all I have to worry about is deep water crossings.

Our first stop is along the Kings River. The water is a little high and slightly stained because of the rain. I’m surprised it was not higher.

I have fished this river in the past for smallmouth and had some good luck. Today would have been a nice day to canoe this river but a better day to ride.

We continued to ride at a brisk clip south easterly and stopped at a local Folk Artists place.

There were sculptures like those all over the property. We were welcome to take photos along the road but not to go on the property. That was disappointing.

We continue SE on beautiful county roads. The scenery gets prettier with each bend.

We start heading down a road that starts off very easily however, that changes quickly. The road get muddy at spots and the crossings are getting deeper and deeper.

Being last I see how deep these crossing get. I’m on a GSA ADV. The snorkel is not very high on this bike. When the rider before me goes through a short but extremely deep crossing I know the water is higher than the air intake. For a moment I consider stopping, instead I hit the crossing with some speed and part the water with my front wheel and get through. Shortly the crossing we stop for a break at a beautiful waterfall on Possum Creek and we were on Possum Creek Road.

While resting I tell everyone, that I can’t go in water any deeper. Doc assured us we were thought the worst part. That was not the first time we heard that from Doc and would not be the last.

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 04-18-2010 at 04:35 PM
Old 04-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #20
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil d.
Wonderful pictures Phil. Thanks for adding the link.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #21
Ks-Rydr
from the land of Toto

Oddometer: 219
Some friends and I who have been on a couple of David's Hillbilly Dualsport rides weren't able to make this year's ride because of it being on Easter weekend. We decided to try getting together the following weekend and riding David and MacWildcat's GPS routes, which they so generously share. There were 6 of us who went last weekend, riding for 3 days, covering over 500 miles and greatly enjoyed the routes. We had the best weather I have ever enjoyed around Eureka Springs. We had a great time, with one exception, while crossing one of the very slick stoney creeks, one rider lost it and went completely under, along with a couple more of us who almost did the same, that creek was SLICK..... We all managed to get very wet there.... We did managed to get the bike dried out and was able to continue on. It is beautiful riding around there. Hopefully we'll be able to attend next years ride.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #22
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

You see a lot of country girls around Eureka Springs. I don't know why more riders don't spend time in the city.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #23
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

After a brief stop at the waterfall Doc has us on our way. The route we are on gets worse quickly. What was a road starts to be become a steep, muddy bulldozer track. Im doing my best to stat up with the group at the same time stay up on my two wheels. Every foot is tougher then the last. Doc said we make it thought the worst so it has to get better, right? I make it up the first part of a mountain and it levels off for a few feet before the next climb.

This part of the mountain does not look like much in the picture but it was muddy and steep. I get about a way up on the right side and loose traction and back down for a second attempt. The left side looks like the proper line. Right when I was about to start up again everyone starts coming back down.

Wrong road, as a matter of fact it was not road at all but a logging road that was a dead end. Doc has us wait to find the right way out. After a few minutes he is back. Once again Doc assured everyone that climb up the mountain was tough but when we got back on the road we will be through the worst part. He was right for about mile then we hit a muddier, steeper and longer mountain on this so called road then the muddy, steep logging road we just rode up and down! This climb was going to tax all my skill, strength and determination! JC is ahead of me. He had a good start up the hill and his Super Sherpa is climbing right up. The problem is I need more speed to keep my pig in some control and start to overtake JC. About halfway up the mountain I am right behind him and have to stop or Ill rear end him. I should have waited longer before starting my approach. This caused me to lost all momentum and traction. Numerous times I disengaged the clutch only to have my rear tire spin. I got going by getting off my pig and mounting the bike on the move (Starting that way is something I have only had to do in deep sand before but I practice it regularly). That got me going again and to the top of the climb.

The picture above and below is part of the mountain road. It is just a muddy as it looks and believes me it was much steeper than it looks.

It was one tough climb that I am glad to have said I have done.......NOW. It is what adventure riding is all about.

Once we make it off Possum Creek Road and onto something more like a road then a goat path we stop for a group picture.

At this time it is way past lunchtime and everyone is hungry. We still have almost two hours to go before we can find something to eat.
The roads to get to lunch had some spectacular scenery. They were fast with sweeping curves.

We end up in Alma, Arkansas for a late lunch/early dinner sometime after 3:00. Alma is not far from the Oklahoma state line. It is where US 71 and Interstate meet! We eat at the Catfish Hole and we eat like we have not been feed for a week.

The Catfish Hole gives all the hushpuppies, slaw, pickles and relish you can eat. We went though a bucket of hushpuppies before dinner was ordered. I dont know if it was because I was starving but I think it was the best catfish dinner I have ever had. Everyone was too busy eating to think about taking a picture of the food, sorry.
After dinner we took the slab back to Eureka Springs. Taking State Highway 23 from Ozark to Eureka Springs is a wonderful ride with lots of twists, turns and elevation changes.

A few facts from my GPSr (I turned it on in the morning and turned it off at dinner.)
1. Elapsed Time 7:34:13
2. Length 115 miles
3. Average Speed 15 MPH

If anyone is interested in the tracks please drop me an email.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #24
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,093
NICE! (it wasnt that bad, was it? ) Rode possum Creek today..it's dried up ALOT! only 5 creek crossings and no mud! Bitchen pix btw!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #25
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall
NICE! (it wasnt that bad, was it? ) Rode possum Creek today..it's dried up ALOT! only 5 creek crossings and no mud! Bitchen pix btw!
Doc, it was not bad at all, It was GREAT! I would enjoy following you through Arkansas anytime. I hope to be able to return the favor sometime in Kansas.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #26
Buffalo Bill
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 995
Thumb Great Report..

Loved the pictures and the story....who could imagine all those nice tetons out there in the sticks..

Hats off for wrestling that big dog on those roads...

"A Smokin Hole is a cheap price to pay for a Bitchin Manuever" .....Martin Pargee

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370704

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477438

Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #27
GS Tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Eureka Springs culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan
You see a lot of country girls around Eureka Springs. I don't know why more riders don't spend time in the city.

They sure are cute, but most of the girls in Eureka like other girls (wink wink)
GS Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #28
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Tom
They sure are cute, but most of the girls in Eureka like other girls (wink wink)
I don't have a problem with that.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #29
blktopburner
FAR POINT EXPLORER

Oddometer: 158
x

Here's Eddie....after an Extreme Aerobic Session on Possum Creek...

JC-"the "Blktopburner"

Album:http://photobucket.com/JCs_super_sherpa

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure
'09 Kawa Super Sherpa
'06 Ducati 620 Multistrada
'81 BMW R100 Vintage Enduro Project

blktopburner is offline   Reply With Quote