User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
kkesp OP
UPSIDERIGHT

Oddometer: 229
F800GS splash guard

I was lookin' at splash guards online, but damn $160 is a lot. So the other day when I had the rear wheel off I noticed was this arch on the fender liner that got me to thinking. I had a piece of HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) think (mini-boggan) laying around. Those of you around in the 70's will remember the mini-boggan, which was a piece of thick plastic for sledding. Any way I removed the 2 screws that hold the forward part of the fender liner on and the 2 screws that hold the computer in place. You don't need to disconnect the computer just lay it back out of the way. Then took a piece of heavy construction paper and laid it up in the gap and pressed the liner back up to give it an impression of the fender liner. After trimming the paper I transfered the pattern to the HDPE and trimmed it out. The HDPE is really thick and hard to trim, but after cutting it out I used a piece trim wood and heat gun to shape the HDPE. Drilled hole in the 4 tabs (2 tabs for the screws, and 2 for zip ties). Put the HDPE in place under the fender liner and put the screws back in. On the top I used 2 zip ties from the top 2 tabs to the bar that the computer attaches to. It sounds involved but it's takes longer to describe than to do. The whole process took about 30 min. most was spent trying to cut the HDPE.

You can get the HDPE from most any landfill. They use it to line the cells of the landfill before filling it with trash. If you have a landfill in your area just go and ask if they have any left over. You might also get from a toy store that sells those plastic toboggans or online. Here are the pictures.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous main- stream media which holds forth the proposition that it isentirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
kkesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,778
Awesome!!

Where can I get that material?? And can you somehow get me an outline of that cutout?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Fixalot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
kkesp - Excellent idea.

I am going to try to make one out of a piece of a pickup truck bed liner. (from the flat area on the sidewall)
I work at a collision shop and we always have a few damaged ones laying around. I would suspect most body shops do.

I used a piece to make a chain glide on an old Husky swingarm. This stuff is tough.
Fixalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
kkesp OP
UPSIDERIGHT

Griz,

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Awesome!!

Where can I get that material?? And can you somehow get me an outline of that cutout?
If there is a landfill close to you stop by the main office and ask if they have a piece left over. I believe every landfill in the USA is now required to use this liner as part of the construction. Most have some scrape pieces laying around. You might be able to find a sled made from one. When I get home I'll see if I can trace it on paper and mail.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous main- stream media which holds forth the proposition that it isentirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 04-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
kkesp OP
UPSIDERIGHT

Fixalot,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixalot
kkesp - Excellent idea.

I am going to try to make one out of a piece of a pickup truck bed liner. (from the flat area on the sidewall)
I work at a collision shop and we always have a few damaged ones laying around. I would suspect most body shops do.

I used a piece to make a chain glide on an old Husky swingarm. This stuff is tough.
Tough yes but might be a little thick. You'll have to remove the seat and computer before you can see the slot. It's not very wide and is a compound shape also has a piece of foam like material used to fill the gap between the fender liner and fuel tank.