User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
moe.ron OP
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,467
Sargent Seat On F650GS

Anybody replace the stock seat with one of these? How do you like it? Looking for opinions before dropping $450 bones.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
lbowles2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms
Anybody replace the stock seat with one of these? How do you like it? Looking for opinions before dropping $450 bones.
I tried one and ended up returning it. That doesn't mean it was all bad. The saddle was pretty comfy but it just seemed to push me into the 'tank'. It wasn't bad but I decided that it wasn't worth the money to me. That being said I am a heavier rider (about 275) and it might work better for a lighter rider.

Larry
lbowles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
moe.ron OP
Poor Dumb Bastard

Thats good input, thanks. I definitely dont want to sit on the tank. Did you go back to stock or try something else?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
lbowles2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
For right now I'm riding the regular stock seat. I may have it redone by a guy not too far away from Topeka once I figure out what I want.

One of the things I liked about the Sargent is it did get my butt a little closer to the ground. This also had the effect of getting my butt closer to the pegs... I think I would rather have just a bit less reach to the ground and be more comfy on the bike... but that's just me. I did like the firmness of the Sargent over the stock seat but that probably isn't much of a surprise.

Don't get me wrong... the Sargent is a nice seat. Just not my cup 'o tea.

Larry
lbowles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms
I like the Sargent seat. I guess I have about 16,000 miles or so on one by now with many, many long days on it.

I'm 6'2", so I can't comment on how it feels with your feet on the ground - cutting into your thighs or anything like that.

What I like about it is that there feels like three different positions for your butt. Sitting all the way forward feels different than sitting in the middle, which feels different that scoched all the way back. In other words, you can relieve your sore ass by sitting in different spots.

The fit and finish is just fine. 16,000 miles shows no wear or split seams or anything like that.

There's a neat little storage compartment for your manual and registration under the seat.

It's very light.

It comes complete - no need to send your stock seat pan off.

I would buy one again.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 830
I got the BMW comfort seat for and it is all that i wanted. Did ride a 8 hours a days with no pain!
FYI, this is not a low seat as it may look like, driver position is high as standard seat and pillion is slightly hight than standard.

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
I have had mine for about a month now on my 800, approximately 5000 miles. I ordered it +1" over the standard and I think that may have been a mistake, because the +1" is definitely higher than stock, and I think it makes it pretty firm. It is not a 'plush' seat like I was expecting, but gives a firm flat seating area with several places to park your arse, which is good. The corners on the front of the seat have caused some discomfort in my inner thighs after long days, but that really is the only issue. I don't have any issues about being pushed into the tank either. Quality of the seat is top notch too, very nicely put together.

My longest ride so far was a 1250 mile run from Seattle to San Diego in one day, and the best thing I can say is that, though I could tell that I had sat on a bike for 20+ hours, I wasn't walking like John Wayne at the end of it.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
moe.ron OP
Poor Dumb Bastard

All good info guys, thanks!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
FatTirePlease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
?

Serge, you must be a Tim Dorsey fan!!!! Great shit , huh?
FatTirePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,378
I bought a Sargent Seat (custom) for my Honda 599. After taking my order and having a thorough discussion with them, the seat came and it did not perform up to expectations. Sargent kindly re-consulted with me, took the seat back and revised it based on the issues presented with the new seat. I am quite fond of my seat now. I relay this because you can have a very good discussion with them, and they can modify a seat easily if it does not perform to your expectations. I only paid to ship the seat back, they covered the rest. The turnaround time was good too (though it was in the 'off' riding season).

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
I tried the Sargent and did not like it. I found it too tall and too square cut. I sent it back for a refund. Nice people to work with, I just didn't like their seat.

I had corbin make me a Gun Fighter seat for mine. Not great for off road but my touring is with a couple of guys who ride pure street bikes (Ultra Classic and TBird Sport) so most all of my off road riding is local and for that I have the stock seat.

I am leaving tomorrow morning for Bandera Texas and about a 1200 mile weekend, the shakedown tour for the Corbin and I have very high expectations,

-

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
I tried the Sargent and did not like it. I found it too tall and too square cut. I sent it back for a refund. Nice people to work with, I just didn't like their seat.

I had corbin make me a Gun Fighter seat for mine. Not great for off road but my touring is with a couple of guys who ride pure street bikes (Ultra Classic and TBird Sport) so most all of my off road riding is local and for that I have the stock seat.

I am leaving tomorrow morning for Bandera Texas and about a 1200 mile weekend, the shakedown tour for the Corbin and I have very high expectations,

-

Is that Corbin seat heated or is there a heated option?

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks
Is that Corbin seat heated or is there a heated option?
Mine is not heated but I believe they do make a heated option.

This seat is not on their web site. It was a custom order. They charged the same as to ones on the site.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #14
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
Sargent been good to me

I've got the Sargent on my GS8 and I like it. It's way ahead of the stocker in the comfort department. It's not perfect, in that I tend to sit forward and the "pocket" on this seat is further back. Still, it's quite comfy up front and I can do long hours without the pain the BMW seat gave me. Good quality, as usual for Sargent. I've had their seats before and never had a complaint. For the record, I'm on the light side - 150 lbs, 68" tall, 31" inseam if I lie a little. I'd need longer arms to sit in the pocket for very long. A previous poster made the point that you're not locked into one position...I'll second that.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #15
danman
tumbling tumbleweed

Oddometer: 172
I have the Sargent on my F8 and really like it. I did a 10 hour ride on the stock seat and it liked to have killed me, could hardly walk or ride even a few hours the next day. I tried modifying the stock seat by scooping cutting out some of the foam, but couldn't make it work for me. My Sargent is stock height, I am 5'7" and I don't mind the height, but I am on my toes a little. It has good seating area and lots of room to move around. Been to Colorado and back (from Dallas) with no issues at all. I also had a Sargent on a 1200GS that I did a 20 day trip on, really comfortable. I think most any seat would be an improvement.
danman is offline   Reply With Quote