Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #31
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,057
What Jesse's do you have? I think this would be too wide for the Safari luggage.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #32
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
What Jesse's do you have? I think this would be too wide for the Safari luggage.
I have the Odyssey's.
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #33
soph9
Bike Addict

check the width and I think this would work....Safari's too narrow...we went with this

http://www.rotopax.com/1-gallon-gaso...p-1-pr-93.html
Old 06-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #34
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
Off topic a bit, but a little birdy told me that the future Safari's for the 650 twin/800GS are going to be an inch wider, 9" instead of 8". Should be about perfect.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #35
soph9
Bike Addict

hmmmmmmmmmmm.....interesting about the Safari....I have been emailing Al Jesse about another thing perhaps I should ask him....
Old 06-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #36
WyldKard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
Off topic a bit, but a little birdy told me that the future Safari's for the 650 twin/800GS are going to be an inch wider, 9" instead of 8". Should be about perfect.
When are these new Safari's supposed to available? I can't decide between the Safari and Odyssey bags, but 9" Safaris would be perfect.
WyldKard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #37
soph9
Bike Addict

I emailed Al Jesse I will post his reply if he tells me anything.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #38
push_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Mounting 1G rotopax to the back (or bottom?) of the cases...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
check the width and I think this would work....Safari's too narrow...we went with this

http://www.rotopax.com/1-gallon-gaso...p-1-pr-93.html

Has anyone else ever considered mounting these to the bottom of the Odyssey cases? I did some measuring to see where I could get a pair of 1G rotopaxs to fit and it looks like if they are on the back they would either block the rear handle or hang down quite a ways... While I was messing with the tape I noticed that the bottom of the wide case would be about the perfect size for the 1G... even the cut case would work if you perhaps made a simple re-enforcement bracket and where ok with having an edge hang under the exhaust (no it does not look like it would get close but even so a thin piece of tin could be made into a heat shield I suppose)

Thoughts?

I like the idea behind MTRider16 having them mounted on the crashbars in so far as the weight would be forward... but they look like they might get in the way... Also I don't think it would work with my style of crash bars...
push_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #39
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by push_bars
Has anyone else ever considered mounting these to the bottom of the Odyssey cases? I did some measuring to see where I could get a pair of 1G rotopaxs to fit and it looks like if they are on the back they would either block the rear handle or hang down quite a ways... While I was messing with the tape I noticed that the bottom of the wide case would be about the perfect size for the 1G... even the cut case would work if you perhaps made a simple re-enforcement bracket and where ok with having an edge hang under the exhaust (no it does not look like it would get close but even so a thin piece of tin could be made into a heat shield I suppose)
From the Rotopax website: F800GS with Jesse Odyssey's and 1G Rotopax

Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #40
push_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

That looks exactly like I thought it would ... down to the straps just in case... Anyone have any thoughts on how this would be to live with for a while? You can't get that weight any lower so that would be a bonus...

Ah... what the h!@# -- I am off to order a set and find out for myself. At least mounted to the bottom if I hate it no one will notice the extra bolts left in the holes when I take them off.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #41
replicant
consummate n00b

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldKard
When are these new Safari's supposed to available? I can't decide between the Safari and Odyssey bags, but 9" Safaris would be perfect.
This. I have been teetering back and forth between the two for several months. But if the 9" are for real I'd buy a set, sight unseen.
replicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #42
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
I had considered the above F800 / RotoPax setup for my Jesse's and of all the options for permanent installation it seems to be the best solution for capacity, weight distribution and just straight out being out of the way.

Ultimately my concerns were and still are:

1. Safety - On the few spills I had on my F800 the lower front corner of the Jesses always took the hit, they survived plus protected me and the bike. However, I never took a hit on pavement and the position of the RotoPaks located in this lower position pretty much guarantee they're going to take a hit either side.

2. Support - The geometry of the Jesse's make them extremely sturdy but the metal itself is thin. If I were going to mount low fuel packs I'd insist on not just mounting through the bottom with a large fender washer inside but into a long lateral support bar or plate inside the bottom of the bag to distribute the load, the same or similar to what Jesse uses inside on the side mounting brackets.

Ultimately I never did a mounting solution and simply went with two 33oz MSR fuel bottles for $15 each. That was more for emergency backup than extending range and the only real use I ever got out of them was helping stranded Harley riders who ran out of gas on the freeway !

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #43
Spinalcracker OP
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,058
I think I will go with the Jesses.

Here I am with the Trax. Looking a little wide.

Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #44
push_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobStar
1. Safety - On the few spills I had on my F800 the lower front corner of the Jesses always took the hit

2. Support - The geometry of the Jesse's make them extremely sturdy but the metal itself is thin.

Ultimately I never did a mounting solution and simply went with two 33oz MSR fuel bottles for $15 each.
I need the extra gas for my Alaska trip in two weeks... while I can get 50mpg I always seem to end up running into the wind and the mpg drops like a stone when this happens -- especially with the luggage on. I will have two 33oz fuel bottles along as well although I intend to mostly use those for the stove filling them both only for the dempster/dalton runs.

For more regular adventures I will probably just strap a single pax to the rear plate or pillion.

I have the extra re-enforcement plates from rotopax for the inside... while I am not terribly worried about the strength/thickness of the case I like the extra insurance. The mounts are very solid. The left case with the cut out is going to require some angle aluminum to mount the inside edge securely (you can see the overhang in the photo above). I could center the pax on the bottom of the case but I am trying to keep them away from the outer edges to minimize the chance of damage.

The only other reasonable place to mount them would be on top of the panniers but this puts about 1/3 of the weight of the gear in each case way up high. The holes are drilled so I guess I will see how it goes since I am committed now. I am bringing a few extra bolts to plug the holes if I hate the setup and want to strap them on instead half way through the trip.

With all the mods and things that are coming together now perhaps I should start thinking about firing up a ride report and live logging the trip...
Old 06-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #45
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiderofMA
I think I will go with the Jesses.

Here I am with the Trax. Looking a little wide.
I had the Trax boxes on the F800GS rental last August up in Alaska; definitely not impressed in width nor with their locking / open / close methodology plus they leaked... a lot!. I really missed my Jesse's on that trip bit I think the Jesse's would have some leakage as well.

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote